Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
On the subject of registration, my Kindle PW2 arrived unregistered. I have no wifi, so rang customer support. They told me that the PW was registered at their end, which is something I notice when shopping on Amazon. However, the device itself isn't registered and is in permanent aeroplane mode. (Not because I think they'll spy on me, but because wi-fi gives me a headache; I'm also sensitive to X-rays and mobile phone signals etc.)
The "Create New Collection" function on the PW is greyed out, as is Vocabulary Builder and Sync and Check for Items. At the Amazon site I have the choice to download via usb to "Catherine's Kindle" but the reader is still called "My Kindle" (the stock name). So it's registered, but only at their end.
Odd.
I don't know if this is the case for the OP, or if his kindle isn't registered at all.

I'll have a closer look at ixtab's Collections Manager.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #17
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Bu@@er, I'd have to jailbreak the kindle to use the Collections Manager; something I don't feel confident about doing!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm not even using any collections on mine (although I could). I think I have 300 or so books on it. Very easy to use the search function.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #19
alchemist1
alchemist1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@BookLover & HarryT - The Amazon rep explained to me quite clearly that this is their current policy (to only allow items in collections at their discretion if not purchased from Amazon).

@Soulfuldog - Perhaps collections can be used without registering with the jailbreak + hacks mentioned here, I'm not sure, that is one thing I'm trying to determine.

I think most people just don't know about this, but if there was a broader understanding that Amazon doesn't allow you to organize personal content without having it sent to them first, I think there would be some outcry about this practice. When you buy an ereader, there is an expectation of privacy, just like with a PC. Amazon is marketing the device as an all-purpose ereader, but in practice trying to make it uncomfortable to use for anything but Amazon ebook "licenses".
alchemist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
alchemist1

BookLover, I'm impressed with your ereader collection! Maybe I'll just wait to see what the next generation of devices will hold...I tried a Kobo Aura HD in a local store, but it seems much less responsive than pw2, and froze for a few seconds about 10 times in the 10 minutes I played with it. Maybe it was just a bad one. If the kobo or sony was about as good as pw2, I'd be willing to try them as well. Havnt got my hands on a Sony yet.
Advert
Old 06-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
On the subject of registration, my Kindle PW2 arrived unregistered. I have no wifi, so rang customer support. They told me that the PW was registered at their end, which is something I notice when shopping on Amazon. However, the device itself isn't registered and is in permanent aeroplane mode. (Not because I think they'll spy on me, but because wi-fi gives me a headache; I'm also sensitive to X-rays and mobile phone signals etc.)
The "Create New Collection" function on the PW is greyed out, as is Vocabulary Builder and Sync and Check for Items. At the Amazon site I have the choice to download via usb to "Catherine's Kindle" but the reader is still called "My Kindle" (the stock name). So it's registered, but only at their end.
Odd.
I don't know if this is the case for the OP, or if his kindle isn't registered at all.

I'll have a closer look at ixtab's Collections Manager.
Sounds like it has never been connected to WiFi.

Your Kindle IS registered. However, it requires connecting to WiFi in order to set that up. Even if it comes registered to your account, it will ask you on starting up to register, and upon connecting to WiFi it will check Amazon's servers and say something along the lines of "This Kindle is registered to X, is that all right? Confirm/Deny." Accept and it will complete the registration.

I would connect, just the once. (If you can find a WiFi hotspot. Perhaps a friend/Starbucks/public library?)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist1 View Post
@BookLover & HarryT - The Amazon rep explained to me quite clearly that this is their current policy (to only allow items in collections at their discretion if not purchased from Amazon).

@Soulfuldog - Perhaps collections can be used without registering with the jailbreak + hacks mentioned here, I'm not sure, that is one thing I'm trying to determine.

I think most people just don't know about this, but if there was a broader understanding that Amazon doesn't allow you to organize personal content without having it sent to them first, I think there would be some outcry about this practice. When you buy an ereader, there is an expectation of privacy, just like with a PC. Amazon is marketing the device as an all-purpose ereader, but in practice trying to make it uncomfortable to use for anything but Amazon ebook "licenses".
Then perhaps the Amazon rep was a blithering idiot or misunderstood the question. Perhaps you misunderstood the answer. (I really would love to have been able to listen to this conversation. Something is wrong here.)

Regardless, the answer you were given is complete and utter garbage. As evidenced by the total lack of any outcry, even amongst the highly knowledgeable folks here on MobileRead, who would be the first to know about any such restriction.

To put it to the test, why don't you go ahead and try to put a personal document into a collection? You will definitely have to be registered, though.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #23
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Tin foil hats!
How to make the best tinfoil hats.

Best quality tinfoil for making hats.

They will even send you them in one handy package, if you order them together.

AND THEN YOU WILL BE PROTECTED FROM AMAZON!!!!!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
alchemist1

I believe the rep said they may work with a usb connection, but that it might not, and said it was best to send it through the Amazon email conversion process, during which time Amazon would determine if it was eligible to be included in a collection as well. I thought it seemed pretty weird, it was a 2nd tier rep.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As eschwartz said, complete and utter nonsense.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #26
alchemist1

Anyway, Calibre by far has a better UI for organizing a library. Does anyone know if Nook Glowlight works OK with Calibre collections (without hacks)? Just tried one out, it seemed almost as easy to use as PW2.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:14 AM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't think you can manage collections on a Nook.

I am pretty sure only Kobo (database management builtin to calibre) Kindle (via plugins and hacks) and Sony (also builtin) can manage collections via calibre.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I don't think you can manage collections on a Nook.

I am pretty sure only Kobo (database management builtin to calibre) Kindle (via plugins and hacks) and Sony (also builtin) can manage collections via calibre.
Correct.

Nook - no

Paperwhite - with a lot of effort, both initially and ongoing.

Kobo and Sony - initial effort to arrange settings in Calibre, after that, piece of cake.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Correct.

Nook - no

Paperwhite - with a lot of effort, both initially and ongoing.

Kobo and Sony - initial effort to arrange settings in Calibre, after that, piece of cake.
I wouldn't say a lot of effort... but with Sony/Kobo there is no effort (after setup) and with Kindle you need to go through a simple, quick 2-minute process -- every single time.

There must be some way to rewrite the plugin as automatically managed. It probably wasn't done because manual intervention is still needed on the Kindle side... except it wasn't, on the older devices.... But you did need to reboot the Kindle, I guess.

I'd like to see, in the new version for >=Kindle Touch, an option to auto-check for the collections.json (it shouldn't be there except right after explicitly exporting from CM) and updating it from calibre.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I wouldn't say a lot of effort... but with Sony/Kobo there is no effort (after setup) and with Kindle you need to go through a simple, quick 2-minute process -- every single time.
Not to mention the effort required to jailbreak the kindle before any of that can be done.

I had the Collection Manager on previous kindles, but I found it more trouble than it was worth.

Tags
collection manager, collections, kindle paperwhite