Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #76
Rug
Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvo View Post
I am also looking forward to your impressions... Did you order from this site?

http://boutique.pocketbook.fr/index....duct&id_lang=3

M
Yes, I did !
Unfortunately the leather cover was missing from the package...

I've just played a bit with the menu and it seems very good to me !
I reacts fine, on time and the user interface is easy to use.
It looks like there are some interesting options as the integrated dropbox.

Now trying with Calibre and some reading experience.

edit : After calling the customer service, the leather cover is supposed to arrive in a different package

Last edited by Rug; 10-24-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #77
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
great !

how would you describe the screen quality ?
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #78
Rug
Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Rug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Keep in mind that this is my first device so I have no comparaison point.

So far so good, Calibre works great with it and I have added a lot of books easily.
As for the sorting system, it allows you to sort it through titles, authors and folders. The metadata read is ok with epub but doen't seems to work with PDF....
You also can manage your files, directories and file names directly in the device.

A lot of fonts (custom), resizing, margin etc options but I guess this is a classic among readers.

The page turn rate is fast enough for me, i would say a bit less than a sec.

The built in dictonaries are a must for me, definitions are good aswell as translations. There is actually a lot of them.

Sometimes some kind of "shadow" from the previous page occurs but I believe it's usual and not only with this device (?)

For PDF reading the zoom is easy to use with 2 fingers (2 fingers > you enter "zoom mode" the page become grey > tap on the screen to exit mode) and it keeps in memory the zoom level you choose for the rest of the pdf.
The "auto-scale" option seems to work very good aswell.

I like the screen definition but having no point of comparaison I really can't juge....

I didn't try the rest of the device but if you have any questions and or any test you want me to do, feel free to ask !
Old 10-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #79
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much !

One user says small caracters are hard to read because the screen lacks contrast, do you notice the same issue ?
Old 10-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #80
Rug

Not at all, even now that is getting dark.
I'll try to send some picture later.

I also have to add that the multi-task works great and is accesible anywhere at the bottom of the screen.
Advert
Old 10-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #81
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
A few words on pdf highlighting, annotating, scribbling, dictionary, exporting of annotations ?

Last edited by markom; 10-24-2014 at 06:20 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #82
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
A few words on pdf highlighting, annotating, scribbling, dictionary, exporting of annotations ?
I looked at the user manual, and it looks to be pretty much the same system as on the Touch Lux ereaders (at least the UI does). If so, then highlights, annotations and scribbles are stored in a custom format outside of the ebook. You can get at the files, but I don't think you can just import them into some program on a desktop. They are meant purely for use within the reading app on the device.

The device comes with many dictionaries. However, they are in a custom format. There are commercial dictionaries available at the Obreey ebookstore that will work on PocketBook devices. However, the selection is not that great outside of the main languages (English, Russian, German and French). If you needed, say, a Polish to English dictionary, you'd probably be out of luck. PocketBook have provided a Windows-only program for converting open dictionary formats to their custom format, so you can create your own. The problem is in finding a reasonable source dictionary that is in one of the open formats.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #83
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
Have you tried to install your own fonts? Is that even possible on pocketbook?

Last edited by babadockia; 10-24-2014 at 09:41 PM.
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:35 AM   #84
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by babadockia View Post
Have you tried to install your own fonts? Is that even possible on pocketbook?
Yes, it is possible to install your own fonts on PocketBook readers generally - every single model before PB Ink Pad 840. I think that it is also possible to install your fonts, dictionaries, screensavers, themes (UI graphical modification files), translations, user configuration files, third-party programs to PB 840.

Disclaimer:
Obviously, I have no access to PB840.
According to demo videos I have seen, it has either 4.xy PocketBook firmware (like PB Touch Lux) or 5.XY firmware like PocketBook Ultra. There are different videos from electronic / book fairs on Youtube featuring two different firmware versions.
I have seen both of those and 4.xy firmware is better at this moment. The old line of firmwares - 15.xy, like PB360 had was even better, but that is a different rant ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:02 AM   #85
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Yes, it is possible to install your own fonts on PocketBook readers generally - every single model before PB Ink Pad 840. I think that it is also possible to install your fonts, dictionaries, screensavers, themes (UI graphical modification files), translations, user configuration files, third-party programs to PB 840.

Disclaimer:
Obviously, I have no access to PB840.
According to demo videos I have seen, it has either 4.xy PocketBook firmware (like PB Touch Lux) or 5.XY firmware like PocketBook Ultra. There are different videos from electronic / book fairs on Youtube featuring two different firmware versions.
I have seen both of those and 4.xy firmware is better at this moment. The old line of firmwares - 15.xy, like PB360 had was even better, but that is a different rant ;-)
if we may install coolreader on it, then I'm sold to it. this could be the dream reader. on another hand, Onyx i86 is late in the game, and Cybook Ocean is outdated.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #86
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
if we may install coolreader on it, then I'm sold to it. this could be the dream reader.
I would like to ask Rug to post the number of the firmware so that we know what is the firmware they decided to ship the reader with.
If it is firmware 4.something, then there is high probability that you can install Coolreader.
If it is 5.xy family of firmware then, most probably, we would have to wait until PocketBook gets extensions.cfg working for epub before installing Coolreader.
Quote:
On another hand, Onyx i86 is late in the game, and Cybook Ocean is outdated.
Have a look at Onyx BOOX Lynx. Front-lit screen, Android 4.0 with Google Play store working, you can install several dozens of reading apps *AND* a Calibre Companion. *Now* talk about a dream machine ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #87
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
I would like to ask Rug to post the number of the firmware so that we know what is the firmware they decided to ship the reader with.
If it is firmware 4.something, then there is high probability that you can install Coolreader.
If it is 5.xy family of firmware then, most probably, we would have to wait until PocketBook gets extensions.cfg working for epub before installing Coolreader.
Have a look at Onyx BOOX Lynx. Front-lit screen, Android 4.0 with Google Play store working, you can install several dozens of reading apps *AND* a Calibre Companion. *Now* talk about a dream machine ;-)
I have it, but the booxtoor version. It is a good machine but it has its flaws: random applications crashes, when I have to restart it, I had to root it in order to kill some processes which killed the battery (after the firsrt 3 days it was down to 20%. WTF!!!)and were not supposed to be there, in the first place, such as telephony and messaging. Yes, you can install some android applications, but, in my humble opinion, this is what's killing it: android 4.0 which is too much for a reader. Yes, I have Calibre Companion, but is not compensating the lack of, let's say, trustworthyness. I forgot to mention that it goes on full screen mode only in AlReader and its own reading software. To have it in full screen, I had to root it and install another app.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #88
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Someone got pbimageviewer.app running on their 650. The extensions.cfg file goes into a new location. See the following post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=216. Is that not good enough, or is there a problem specifically with epubs?
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #89
ebookexpertcz
ebookexpertcz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookexpertcz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookexpertcz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ebookexpertcz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: too many :-)
Hi guys, you can read my first impressions of PocketBook Inkpad - http://ebookexpert.cz/prvni-zkusenos...-pred-recenzi/

(is in czech language)
ebookexpertcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #90
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie

thanks ebookexpertcz, here is a translation of your first impressions into english : https://translate.google.fr/translat...red-recenzi%2F