Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #31
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've had the Kindle app itself crash a time or two, but it never caused the mini or my other iThingies to crash. Safari crashed my iPhone 5 last Sunday and it took a while to get it to reset. But no crashes like that on the mini yet. I'm still thinking that nearly 500 apps, many of which will run in the background or at least wake up and phone home periodically, is more than any tablet should have. To each their own of course, but I cannot imagine even being able to run 500 apps one time each per month! Just not enough time in my schedule. Do the math. If one ran each of 500 apps for 5 minutes once a month, then one would need to be on their iPad for nearly 41 hours and 40 minutes. In my case there would be a lot of lonely, neglected apps sitting around forever wishing someone would run them.
BTW: I've checked the settings/cellular data:
Only 11 apps had used cellular data so far (7 days).
46MB the App Store.
10MB a speed test of my WiFi performance.
The rest some 10k each, all less than 1MB.
That's almost nothing. I can't imagine this being the problem.

But then again: It hasn't crashed for more than 24 hours.
I'm curious, whether/when it will crash again.

BTW: When deleting an SMS (something my iPhone 4S doesn't seem to like since the update to iOS7), my iPhone4S did seem to crash just an hour ago. It seemed to have shut down and didn't react anymore. I connected the power connector and it was on instantly. So it didn't actually crash, it just "shut me off". I have to check that with the next crash of my iPad. It wouldn't be of much use in daily usage. Whether I restart it entirely or just plug it in: It's annoying anyway. But it would be interesting to understand, how "deep" it actually is crashing.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-06-2014 at 03:18 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #32
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Very strange.
I was syncing via WiFi.
As I probably will exchange my iPad for a replacement unit, I want to have a backup.
I really don't want to spend another 3 days for reinstalling all my apps again but would want to reinstall from the backup.

While syncing via WiFi, progress was slow.
I was in the settings on iPad and wanted to leave them to check for an iMessage.
It didn't react. After a few pushes of the central button, suddenly the Apple logo did appear.
I thought it would be restarting.
But it was too fast for that.
The Apple logo was visible for maybe 10 seconds, then the login screen was there already.
It probably didn't crash, restarting takes way longer.
But it definitely did have some kind of hiccup...

Now, when in settings, all is painfully slow.
For a few seconds, the settings screen was blank. No settings to see.
After maybe 6 to 8 seconds, the settings became visible.
In general, from time to time, it's extremely slow. It must be occupied with something, but I have no idea with what.
Anyway...
I'll probably send it back. I think, I don't want to waste my time, resetting it and reinstalling all again.
But I'd have to do so with a replacement unit as well.
So, either I make a backup now and reinstall this backup on a replacement unit. Or I forget about it entirely.
Question is, whether a backup would be flawless or whether I would reinstall some bugs from a somewhat crippled backup...

EDIT:
Now I've really had enough.
I think, it's dying on me.
Now, in the app store, it takes forever to check for updates.
It's so unbelievably slow...
Painful to the extreme...

I'll try to update all apps.
Then make a backup of the most recent versions of my apps.
Then sleep over it and decide:
Sending back. Or sending back and asking for a replacement unit.
But I'm definitely not keeping this snooze fest.

I'm asking myself:
Am I not patient enough? Is iPad mini Retina slow at some tasks? Am I too accustomed to the i5 processor of Surface Pro and simply expect too much?
Or is iPad mini Retina the powerhouse I did expect and mine simply has some bug?

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-06-2014 at 03:22 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert