Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Caseyknox
Caseyknox began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3
Amazon Library

Hello I am hoping someone can help me.

I had entered all my books into my Calibre Library but the last time I have done this was back in Jan 2013.

I am trying to find out how to add books straight from my amazon kindle library to calibre without duplicating them.

I did try to update the books from my kindle device, but this only shows but books are on the device to read not the many books I have purchased over the last year.

any help would be great. You would think by now that this would be an easy task.
Caseyknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You could copy the files off your Kindle into your Calibre library. Connect via USB and use the date sort in Windows Explorer (or equivalent if you have a different OS) to find the more recent books, then copy them onto your pc, and add to Calibre. I don't know if you can add directly to Calibre from an external device, but I would imagine you can.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can, there should be a right-click option on titles in device view to add them.

@caseyknox, you will need to download them somehow, the best way is on your device. You could also use Kindle 4 PC, though.

calibre should match the title of the book and ask you to confirm adding duplicates, you can select add none.

If you've changed the title in calibre (for example stripping out the hated ": A Novel" at the end of many book titles) they will no longer match and you will have to delete them manually, or use the plugin Find Duplicates which I believe has more advanced checking capabilities.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I download mine from my Manage My Kindle page, and then import them into calibre individually. I'm often too lazy to do them at them time that I buy them, so when I get the urge to catalog my new purchases, I start by downloading the newest one first, and just keep working my way back until I get to a book that's already in calibre. I import them into calibre one at a time, so I can adjust the metadata for each, and grab the book covers from Amazon if they show up with a generic. I generally do this while watching some fine internet based programming, as it is tedious work.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Pidgeon, I have been putting this off for ages, but I think I'm going to have to bite on the bullet, to have more control. So then, any idea if you are on a Mac, running Mavericks, how this can be done?
Is it better to do this from MYK or from the PW itself, if caliber can accept books from the device, rather than jut 'pushing' to the device?

I have Gutenberg and Many Books content in Caliber at the mo.

I'm so sorry, I have seen threads where this is discussed, but either they don't address my OS or they were, for my pygmy IT skills, too complex for me to follow.

I have all my Audible content in iTunes so I really should get all my books (over 600) off the cloud and backed up in Calibre.

Thanks so much for any help.
A
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pangolin, I will send you a Private Message later today (or tomorrow if it takes me too long) outlining my workflow.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
Pidgeon, I have been putting this off for ages, but I think I'm going to have to bite on the bullet, to have more control. So then, any idea if you are on a Mac, running Mavericks, how this can be done?
Is it better to do this from MYK or from the PW itself, if caliber can accept books from the device, rather than jut 'pushing' to the device?

I have Gutenberg and Many Books content in Caliber at the mo.

I'm so sorry, I have seen threads where this is discussed, but either they don't address my OS or they were, for my pygmy IT skills, too complex for me to follow.

I have all my Audible content in iTunes so I really should get all my books (over 600) off the cloud and backed up in Calibre.

Thanks so much for any help.
A
Adding from the PW is preferable, simply because the books are all there anyway, and if not you can just tap and download all of them, rather than messing around with dropdowns and dialogs within MYK. It is the same file either way.

The workflow is the same afterwards.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Adding from the PW is preferable, simply because the books are all there anyway, and if not you can just tap and download all of them, rather than messing around with dropdowns and dialogs within MYK. It is the same file either way.
And I would disagree. It's certainly possible that all books are not on the Kindle, especially books that have already been read. To have to pick and choose the ones that are missing from among 600 books might take longer than downloading each one. Also, if a book that is on the Kindle has been updated since it was purchased, you won't be cataloging the latest version.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
And I would disagree. It's certainly possible that all books are not on the Kindle, especially books that have already been read. To have to pick and choose the ones that are missing from among 600 books might take longer than downloading each one. Also, if a book that is on the Kindle has been updated since it was purchased, you won't be cataloging the latest version.
The missing ones are just whichever ones are in the Cloud tab on the PW, so you can filter them really easily. Just make sure everything is downloaded.

If there was an update, you won't get it from MYK either -- until you select Download Update, at which point the updated version will be forced onto your PW as well.