Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: fantasyfan Vote • December 2013, Multiple Choice
Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin 3 25.00%
The Real Charlotte by E. Œ. Somerville and Martin Ross 5 41.67%
The Crock of Gold by James Stephens 4 33.33%
The Islandman by Tomas O’Crohan 4 33.33%
At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O’Brien 6 50.00%
My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories by Frank O’Connor 7 58.33%
Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan 4 33.33%
Under the Eye of the Clock by Christopher Nolan 5 41.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thank you! I'm glad we've got a definitive list.

The links to Amazon and Kobo are duds, I'm afraid. I think the title is just a non-starter here.

The collection I've got has ten of the stories, which will hold me until next weekend when I'll seek out the rest.

Thanks to all for the collective input.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Perhaps this might help.

My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories is indeed a selection taken from The Stories of Frank O'Connor first published in 1953 by Hamish Hamilton. The included stories in MOP are as follows:
Thank you fantasyfan. What do you mean by "MOP" (MOC?)? Are you listing what should be the contents for the selection this month?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for all this useful discussion while I was asleep! I can only get The Best of Frank O'Connor from my library, but it sounds as if it should keep me going.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #34
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Should be MOC (very red face).
The list is the table of contents of the Penguin Edition of MOC.

Ah, I see that when one follows the links through one can't actually buy the book. Very sorry about that, I honestly thought that if a link were provided by Amazon, it would work. I'll know better in the future. I trust that the ABE & Book Depository sources will still help if the ebook ins' available.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #35
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Perhaps this might help.

My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories is indeed a selection taken from The Stories of Frank O'Connor first published in 1953 by Hamish Hamilton. The included stories in MOP are as follows:
The Genius
My Oedipus complex
The Study of History
First Confession
The Duke's Children
First Love
The Ugly Duckling
Don Juan's Temptation
The Bridal Night
A Salesman's Romance
In the Train
Pity
The Majesty of the Law
The Paragon
Song Without Words
Uprooted
The Miser
The Cheapjack

Thanks for providing the 'approved' list of titles.
Advert
Old 12-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The list is the table of contents of the Penguin Edition of MOC.

Ah, I see that when one follows the links through one can't actually buy the book. Very sorry about that, I honestly thought that if a link were provided by Amazon, it would work. I'll know better in the future. I trust that the ABE & Book Depository sources will still help if the ebook ins' available.
Not to worry! We're all big kids and can check for ourselves. One of the very nicest things (among many) about this club is the international aspect.

The worst part of this is that it's shame-making that the American edition of his work clearly couldn't use the phrase "Oedipus complex" in a title. I know, the 50s, but still.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The list is the table of contents of the Penguin Edition of MOC...
No bother at all about the MOC! I only asked because I wanted to be sure of what you were saying.

Somewhere there seems to be misinformation about the contents of "My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories". I found the list that I posted from two sources - first, from Goodreads, where I searched for the title and the description on its page provided the list; and second, from the Amazon UK site, where I "looked inside" the ebook version and at the table of contents, which matched the list on Goodreads. Perhaps there are different lists floating around in different places or the lists I looked at were mistaken?

Whatever the reason, I do prefer your shorter list for a busy month , and this is your month so you're the arbiter of what the selection means! This book looks delightful and thanks again for volunteering this month.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I think I may have deduced the answer to the dilemma of the divergent book directories. From what I've found I can't be certain so it's only a theory, like evolution, but my best guess is that there are two almost completely different collections of stories with the exact same title.

First, there is the “original” version, our selection for this month, with the contents fantasyfan listed. From my searching I can’t find hardly anything on this version, only some various old-looking book covers in image searches or old copies for sell with no info except that it’s around 250 pages. Because of its scant presence online (so far as I’ve been able to tell), I am thinking that perhaps this version is out of print and only old copies exist.

Second, there is the “other” version, with the contents I listed. Looking into the ebook version available on Amazon U.K., it gives its first printing as well as its “introduction” and “selection” copyrights as 2005, and the author of the intro discusses selecting the stories for the book. So this book seems to have been put together and printed for the first time in the 2000s, with a blithe disregard to giving itself the exact same title as a previous different collection. This version often has a cover of half a boy’s face and is around 350 pages, and of course this one is still in print. Anyone buying the ebook will be buying this “other” version, and some pbooks are this version as well.

issybird earlier complained about books needing to have just one title, but here we have the opposite - too many books having the same title! It's such an odd turn of events that couldn't have been predicted. And strangely enough, the (wrong) ebook only being available in the U.K. seems to have worked out in our favour since it prevented most people from acquiring it unawares. And regardless of which collection one acquires, it will contain at least some stories from our monthly selection, and other stories that can be enjoyed as well, so it's win-win.

From what I can tell by looking at the table of contents in "look now" on Amazon, "The Best of Frank O'Connor" ebook doesn't include as many stories of the “original” version as it does of the “other” version, but it does include more than half, so that’s something. I didn't count the number but it seemed like maybe 5-10 of the stories in our selection this month were missing from it. I know I’ve done a good bit of looking around for all this, but in for a penny, in for a pound. I am however finished with looking for an ebook way of getting all the stories; I just sucked it up and ordered an old copy of the pbook, and looking forward to it. I am going to edit the first post in the discussion thread to remove the wrong version links and to include the correct contents.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #39
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all that hard work sun surfer. It's no wonder we were all a bit confused!

I'm awaiting The Best of Frank O'Connor from the library, as it had to come in from another branch to mine.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #40
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I think I may have deduced the answer to the dilemma of the divergent book directories. From what I've found I can't be certain so it's only a theory, like evolution, but my best guess is that there are two almost completely different collections of stories with the exact same title.

First, there is the “original” version, our selection for this month, with the contents fantasyfan listed. From my searching I can’t find hardly anything on this version, only some various old-looking book covers in image searches or old copies for sell with no info except that it’s around 250 pages. Because of its scant presence online (so far as I’ve been able to tell), I am thinking that perhaps this version is out of print and only old copies exist.

Second, there is the “other” version, with the contents I listed. Looking into the ebook version available on Amazon U.K., it gives its first printing as well as its “introduction” and “selection” copyrights as 2005, and the author of the intro discusses selecting the stories for the book. So this book seems to have been put together and printed for the first time in the 2000s, with a blithe disregard to giving itself the exact same title as a previous different collection. This version often has a cover of half a boy’s face and is around 350 pages, and of course this one is still in print. Anyone buying the ebook will be buying this “other” version, and some pbooks are this version as well.

issybird earlier complained about books needing to have just one title, but here we have the opposite - too many books having the same title! It's such an odd turn of events that couldn't have been predicted. And strangely enough, the (wrong) ebook only being available in the U.K. seems to have worked out in our favour since it prevented most people from acquiring it unawares. And regardless of which collection one acquires, it will contain at least some stories from our monthly selection, and other stories that can be enjoyed as well, so it's win-win.

From what I can tell by looking at the table of contents in "look now" on Amazon, "The Best of Frank O'Connor" ebook doesn't include as many stories of the “original” version as it does of the “other” version, but it does include more than half, so that’s something. I didn't count the number but it seemed like maybe 5-10 of the stories in our selection this month were missing from it. I know I’ve done a good bit of looking around for all this, but in for a penny, in for a pound. I am however finished with looking for an ebook way of getting all the stories; I just sucked it up and ordered an old copy of the pbook, and looking forward to it. I am going to edit the first post in the discussion thread to remove the wrong version links and to include the correct contents.
Thank you for all that work and your marvellous perspicacity. I think your theory is absolutely correct. The Penguin edition I have dates back to 1963, was published in the UK {where I purchased it in the eighties} and has a cover photo of a boy in a confessional. I am now thinking that it's about time for me to think about getting a new {and perhaps complete} edition of his stories in any event.

I'm quite happy that Frank O'Connor will get a proper discussion and appreciation regardless of which particular collection is used. There are bound to be many stories in common--and I look forward to seeing how other readers react to his work.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-10-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Yeah, thanks Sunsurfer for putting the effort into this. Just to clear things up for me is this still the core list of stories we should all be shooting for?

Quote:
Perhaps this might help.

The Genius
My Oedipus complex
The Study of History
First Confession
The Duke's Children
First Love
The Ugly Duckling
Don Juan's Temptation
The Bridal Night
A Salesman's Romance
In the Train
Pity
The Majesty of the Law
The Paragon
Song Without Words
Uprooted
The Miser
The Cheapjack
Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #42
fantasyfan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yeah, thanks Sunsurfer for putting the effort into this. Just to clear things up for me is this still the core list of stories we should all be shooting for?
We can use it as my "suggested" core, as it contains some excellent--and famous-- stories, and if others wish to share stories outside of it--well, fair enough. We did that once before with Saki when the core was Beasts and Super Beasts but there was mention and discussion of material outside that collection. Further, I don't think that one must read every single story in that collection to gain an understanding and appreciation of Frank O'Connor.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-11-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

^^I think that's the plan.

I'm glad this came up and got hashed out early! I've bought the Best of ebook and will fill in if necessary from the library, which seems to have all the earlier collections.

Very much looking forward to reading and discussing O'Connor.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I am a bit puzzled as I started to read Frank O'Connors book, but I realize I don't have the same stories as are mentioned above
Spoiler:
Alfred A. Knopf 1954, Domestic Relations, first published in the United States by Alfred A. Knopf and in
Great Britain by Hamish Hamilton 1957, Collection Two, first published by Macmillan 1964, Collection
Three, first published by Macmillan 1969, and The Cornet-Player Who Betrayed Ireland, first published in
Ireland by Poolbeg 1981

This selection published in Penguin Books 2005

Texts copyright © Literary Executors of the Estate of Frank O’Connor, 1931, 1933, 1936, 1940, 1942,
1944, 1945, 1947, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1964, 1966

Introduction and selection copyright © Julian Barnes, 2005
All rights reserved

---------------

The Genius
My Oedipus Complex
First Confession
The Study of History
The Man of the World
Guests of the Nation
Machine-Gun Corps in action
Soirée Chez une Belle Jeune Fille
Jumbo's Wife
The Cornet-Player Who Betrayed Ireland
There is a Lone House
News for the Church
The Mad Lomasneys
Uprooted
The Majesty of the Law
The Luceys
After Fourteen Years
Peasants
The Bridal Night
A Thing of Nothing
Michael's Wife
A Bachelor's Story
Fish for Friday
A Story by Maupassant
In the Train
The Corkerys
Old-Age Pensioners
The Long Road to Ummera
The Wreath
The Mass Island

What will I do? Thanks in advance.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #45
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I have just picked up The Best Of from the library and confirm it has 10 of the 18 on fantasyfan's list - but of course lots of other ones as well.

desertblues, I think we just read the ones we have in common and then branch out where our interest takes us.