Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The World's Thinnest Wireless Keyboard

http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/05/the-wo...xt-year-video/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
It's seems identical to typing on a virtual keyboard displayed on a large tablet screen. Not sure if has any success replacing "standard" keyboards with "real" keys.

Video:

doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I don't see any advantage over something like this. They don't give a price, so I don't know how the two technologies compare price-wise. I would have trouble typing on either of them.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
No advantage. The existing keyboard cases have real keys, thats the drawcard. If I wanted to use a keyboard which had not got real keys, I'd be using the built in one. I have a logitech ultraslim for my iPad 3 and its excellent. This wouldnt get a second look, from me.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I love it. I am a big fan of tactile feedback which this doesn't have, but as a person who has destroyed many keyboards and ended up using a virtual keyboard till the replacement arrived, it looks like the cats ass to be able to have something like this available as a backup.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You destroyed MANY keyboards? By spilling stuff on them or just beating them to death with your typing? I'm on a computer pretty much all day and other than a couple laptop keys coming off, I've never been able to destroy a keyboard.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
You destroyed MANY keyboards? By spilling stuff on them or just beating them to death with your typing? I'm on a computer pretty much all day and other than a couple laptop keys coming off, I've never been able to destroy a keyboard.
Mostly spilling I am afraid, at least 3. I have had some keyboards for many years, and destroyed other within weeks. I've been in the keyboard destroying business for at least 45 years and have destroyed at least 6 or one about every 8 years. Practice makes perfect.

You probably still have your very first keyboard and use it daily.
Helen
Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic

Actually, yes. It's an old Keytronic mechanical key. I don't remember the model number, but I remember looking for another one on Keytronic's web site and they don't make them anymore, and haven't in years.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You have to see the significance of this...

Most wireless keyboards made for tablets are pretty thick because of the keyboard itself. And because they have to house a battery, Bluetooth and MicroUSB modules. Plus there's a pretty decent sized board in there.

If my pick wasn't dull, I would reopen my Belkin keyboard just to show you what's in there.

But what I'm trying to get at is that most of these keyboards are currently twice the thickness of the keyboard parts used in today's laptops. And like four times the thickness of the Microsoft Surface's keyboards.

Everyone wants that Surface cover because it doubles up as a cover and keyboard. They don't want the OS or the tablet itself, but everyone digs that keyboard. But it's not stand alone, which is why we can't have it for the iPad or Android.

And that's the future they're aiming for. They want to be able to produce keyboards that are able to be latched on to the magnets of the side of these iPads and Android tablets. The Bluetooth is easy enough to manage, and so is the battery, but the keyboard function itself has to be trimmed down.

It's not going to be "paper thin" on the outside, but it in the insides, yeah.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
kevinp
Fanatic

But I want actual keys. I want to feel the key clicking. Beating my fingertips against a tabletop just isn't the same.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
But I want actual keys. I want to feel the key clicking. Beating my fingertips against a tabletop just isn't the same.
I think that's what the Type Cover is? Again, it would still be tactile, just the inside would be the paper thin part.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I think that's what the Type Cover is? Again, it would still be tactile, just the inside would be the paper thin part.
Not according to the guy in the video. He says quite clearly it will be like typing on the screen of your tablet. No real advantage (except, possibly, to see more screen at once... but for me personally thats not an advantage)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

That guy says one thing, but I bet the real use will be different once someone that doesn't just fantasize about stuff and puts it to real world usage.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard

What I get from the article is that it is a fully functional keyboard with built in Bluetooth. In the video it has a top plastic looking thing that probably houses a battery. I am not good at typing on tablets, basically one or two fingered typing is all I can manage. Carting around a bigger keyboard with tactile feed back is not that convenient especially as I would not use it that often. (I do have a couple of mini blue tooth keyboards, but only use them at home).

For me something like this would be an advantage. Would fit easily into briefcase or backpack and while I like tactile feedback and a full sized keyboard, but would prefer this one to the one I didn't have for 5 days this summer.

Helen
Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Microsoft makes their Touch keyboard work by having some texture to the keys and giving audio feedback. You can actually feel your finger placement and hear your keystrokes.

This doesn't appear to offer that. Plus it's another device to charge. I'm not a fan as shown, but it does have potential.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote