Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #391
keegon
keegon began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
For simplicity's sake, put one of the azw files in the same folder as mobi2mobi.exe (not the gui program, the folder where all the mobiperl executables are). Then open a command prompt and change (cd) to that folder.

Typing:

Code:
mobi2mobi bookname.azw
...and hitting Enter will spit out everything that is known about the file. At the top of that list will be "Database name:" The title of the book (or part of the title) should appear there. If there is nothing there, then the file won't work with Mobi2Mobi-Gui. In that case:

Typing:

Code:
mobi2mobi --databasename "Some_Name 32_characters or less" --outfile "New ebook file name so I don't screw up the original one.azw" "bookname.azw"
...and hitting Enter will create a new azw file (with the name you gave for the --outfile parameter) that should work with Mobi2Mobi-Gui.
Wow. That works! Thank you so much!
keegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #392
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No problem.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #393
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Thanks for the troubleshooting DiapDealer. Do you know if there are any public domain AZW files that have this issue that I can get for testing. I'll see if I can put some error checking in place to get around this problem in the GUI. Cheers.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #394
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you know if there are any public domain AZW files that have this issue that I can get for testing.
I'll see if I can track down some freebies that have the problem.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM   #395
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Mobi2MobiGUIv10beta - Null DATABASENAME fix for AZWs

Okie doke.. Thanks to my handy HexEditor I was able to replicate the missing DATABASENAME error in the AZW files. The way the GUI works is that it creates a temporary working copy of the PRC/AZW/MOBI file when you initially open the original. It creates a text dump of the Mobi2Mobi output and parses that information. Because the dodgy AZWs can't be output to a new file without a valid DATABASENAME entry the various files don't get created and the parsing routines all die and create and exception error. I've created a workaround that checks to see if the Mobi2Mobi output file has any data, if its empty and the file type is AZW then it assumes the DATABASENAME is dodgy and fixes it by using the AZW filename as the default. It then re-runs all the parsing on the updated file and it all works. Can those with issues please give this ago and let me know if it sorts out your problems. I'll probably need to add an option in somewhere to allow modifying the DATABASENAME entry so you can change it to something else if you don't like the default.

Edit: Oops.. Just unzip the new EXE into the same location as your original Mobi2MobiGUI_VB.EXE and run it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_10beta.zip (25.8 KB, 488 views)

Last edited by Jad; 06-08-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #396
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but your latest changes do indeed fix the problem I was having with Amazon books that were missing Palm Database names. Thanks for the update. Will you be making a LoRes version with the fix, as well? No big deal if not—as I can make my own if need be—but was just curious.

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #397
Jad
Groupie

A LoRes version will be forthcoming. I'll probably put up an official v10 tomorrow. Thanks for testing.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #398
keith_graham
keith_graham began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Hi, first time using the forum so apologies if this post appears in the wrong place. I read a posting where someone was saying that if you use the mobi2mobi program to edit the clipping limit your book will no longer be readable. Nobody seemed to follow up on this, does anyone know if this is the case? I haven't used the program yet.
keith_graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 AM   #399
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I read a posting where someone was saying that if you use the mobi2mobi program to edit the clipping limit your book will no longer be readable. Nobody seemed to follow up on this, does anyone know if this is the case? I haven't used the program yet.
If you bought the book from Amazon and you're trying to remove the clipping limit WHILE the ebook is still DRM'ed, then yes, the ebook may be rendered unreadable. The clipping limit (and TTF flag) are now tied into Amazon's DRM scheme, so if you want to modify those two attributes (clipping limit and TTF flag), you are essentially forced to remove the DRM from the ebook first.

Basically, we no longer have the ability to tweak those two attributes on DRM'ed Amazon books like we used to be able to do. This is not a problem with mobi2mobi, but rather an insurmountable change to Amazon's DRM scheme.

Remove the DRM or deal with the existing clipping limit (and TTF setting). Those are our options now.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-22-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #400
deedlef
deedlef began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Title on GUI is Correct but Not On Kindle

I apologize if this is a repeat but I did not see this in the thread.

I have been trying to change the title of a .mobi ebook. When I open it with the GUI initially it has the bad Book Title of "0379854001312042501_valkyrie_02'. I changed the Output File, Book Title, and Author. This created a new output file with the correct name and accurately changed the author when I copied to my Kindle. However, the title on the Kindle is still "0379854001312042501_valkyrie_02" even though when I open the new output file with the GUI the Book Title listed is "IAD 02 - A Hunger Like No Other". I think it has something to do with the Updated Title still being "0379854001312042501_valkyrie_02". Could someone help with this? I am using:
mobiperl-win-0.0.43
Mobi2Mobi_GUI_VB_v10
.Net Framework 4.0

PARTIAL GUI INFO:
Database Name: 0379854001312042501_valkyrie_02
Version: 0
Type: BOOK
Creator: MOBI
Seed: 175
Resdb:

EXTH item: 100 - Author - 12 - Kresley Cole
EXTH item: 503 - UpdatedTitle - 31 - 0379854001312042501 valkyrie 02
EXTH item: 108 - Contributor - 43 - calibre (0.7.38) [http://calibre-ebook.com]
EXTH item: 106 - PublishingDate - 32 - 2011-07-30T16:14:44.111000+00:00
LONGTITLE: IAD 02 - A Hunger Like No Other
deedlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #401
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I can't open book with .mobi extension , only .prc. I get a error message. Is there any thing that fix that? Thanks.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #402
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedlef
I think it has something to do with the Updated Title still being "0379854001312042501_valkyrie_02". Could someone help with this? I am using:
Yes, you've essentially changed the LongTitle of the ebook, but the Kindle uses the 503 EXTH record for displaying the titles.

After you have the ebook open in Mobi2Mobi-Gui, look for the combo box (dropdown) labeled "exth type" and choose "503 - Updated Title" from the list. Enter the name you want into the field beside it labeled "exth data", tick the checkbox beside that and hit the "convert" button.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:10 PM   #403
deedlef
deedlef began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes, you've essentially changed the LongTitle of the ebook, but the Kindle uses the 503 EXTH record for displaying the titles.

After you have the ebook open in Mobi2Mobi-Gui, look for the combo box (dropdown) labeled "exth type" and choose "503 - Updated Title" from the list. Enter the name you want into the field beside it labeled "exth data", tick the checkbox beside that and hit the "convert" button.
That worked. Thank you very much!
deedlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #404
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You're quite welcome.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM   #405
Asuka Jr.
Asuka Jr. began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Ok... I THINK I downloaded all the newest versions, and pulled the newest .NET from Microsoft (I hope that works), and I tried DiapDealer's suggestion above to change the title that would read in kindle, but when I convert the file, the 503 exth data in the modified form of the book (within the GUI) showed: EXTH item: 503 - UpdatedTitle - 0 - , and when opened in kindle, showed it as being untitled...
What did I do wrong, and how can I fix it?
Asuka Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi