Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-29-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
tommyer
Enthusiast
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml
Would you still buy a Onyx Boox N96 today?

Hi,
I am considering to buy a device from the Boox N96 series.

What I expect from an 9,7'' E-reader is summed up by Jean-V in another thread:

"The ideal device should also be able to export easily notes (or allow me to export the pdf with embedded notes). To rephrase it, I do not want my notes to be locked in the device."

I have settled for the N96 - Capacitive + Digitizer touch without front light. There is another one called N96C (somewhat cheaper) with Capacitive but no Digitizer. I like that one too (also because of the price advantage), but this time I would like to get to know working with a digitizer/stylus. So it would be the N96 - Capacitive + Digitizer touch.

Prices have come down a bit recently at Banggood and Ereaderstore. May be that is because something new is coming up from Boox on the 9 and 10'' level later this year which is much more advanced as compared to the older M92, M96 and N96 series.

That's why I ask myself if I should invest 400€ for N96 now while there is a possibility to get a new and much more refined device ranging between 400 and 500€ towards the end of the year?

A Boox N96, is it really still worth a 400€ today?
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
franzli
Zealot
franzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I personally have been thinking about getting a 10 inch reader, but am holding off for the moment for roughly the reason you mentioned. Initially, I was hoping for upgraded specs on the new devices, although it now seems like the next 10 inch devices will still have the same old crappy single-core SOC. However, there's a chance that prices on the remaining stock of N96 could go down when the new stuff is out. So if you don't need the device now, it might be worth waiting. Of course, as always in tech, there always is something new coming out, so if you need it now, you might as well buy now (and possibly sell and upgrade later).
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
tommyer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
the next 10 inch devices will still have the same old crappy single-core SOC.
That's too bad. I am not really into computer hardware but I understand that the Onyx Boox devices would benefit a lot from a more powerful hardware.

And you're absolutely correct, prices for the remaining N96 stock could go down once again when the new series will be available.

If, for example, banggood had the N96 Dual Touch in stock, I would probably order it right now. But it's the one model of the N96 series which is currently out of stock at banggood. And in my mind there is some uncertainty as to what total price you will get at banggood regarding tax and customs.

If the price difference in total prices between banggood and for example ereaderstore.de is only 20-30€, I would always go for ereaderstore.de or e-readerweb.nl because it is in Europe ( language, shipping and service; i.e. I live in Europe and service is worth money as well).

Last edited by tommyer; 06-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
franzli
Zealot
franzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toysfranzli shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
At least for shipping to Germany, banggood are supposed to have an option where you wouldn't have to part extra for taxes (and I think tablet like appliances are supposedly customs free in general, at least in Germany). Of course, servicewise you're likely much better off with the European vendors.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
tommyer
Enthusiast

Quote:
At least for shipping to Germany, banggood are supposed to have an option where you wouldn't have to part extra for taxes (and I think tablet like appliances are supposedly customs free in general, at least in Germany). Of course, servicewise you're likely much better off with the European vendors.
I've seen something like this too (or was it aliexpress?; can't remember), but at the moment I cannot find the option at banggood.

Quote:
you wouldn't have to part extra for taxes (and I think tablet like appliances are supposedly customs free in general, at least in Germany).
Not sure about that either. So far I thought that EU-wide you have to pay 3.7% custom and 19% tax with Ereaders. So far I think you cannot work around the import tax. But I think you are right on the tablets, seems like there is no custom there:
http://www.zoll.de/DE/Privatpersonen...e4672?nn=17384
Advert