Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
tittle65
tittle65 began at the beginning.

Device: none
linux calibre to pull kindle books off nexus7?

Hi, all. I've got the latest Calibre installed on Ubuntu 11.04, and a Nexus7 (unrooted, with the original OS on it). On the Nexus, I've got the Kindle App & have downloaded the few books I've gotten thru Kindle.

Is there a way to get my Calibre install to find them on the Nexus7? I have been successful at getting my Calibre install to connect to the Nexus7 and deal with epub books, but the Kindle books seem a little more elusive. Obviously I'd like to import them to my library. I do not have a Kindle device.

Any help or pointers (I did try searching the forum, but didn't find anything that pertained to this, tho my apologies if I did miss something) appreciated!

Thanks,
--Cindy
tittle65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your mobi books should be listed int he device view in calibre along all the others. If they aren't then they were probably deleted of the device automatically. You should be able to re-download them to your PC from your manage my kindle page at amazon.com and add them to calibre that way. Or run Kindle for PC under wine and download them into that and add to calibre from the K4PC directory.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
tittle65

Amazon does not supply a linux based downloader -- that's why I'm forced to go through a device to try and retrieve a Kindle book. I'll double check the calibre. I really don't want to go the wine route, but I suppose I can uninstall it after grabbing the books. Ugh.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
tittle65

linux/kindle/nexus7 reprise

I hope it's okay to revisit this, but after ignoring my Kindle books out of frustration for a number of months I thought I'd look at this issue again. Latest version of calibre on my Linux install, etc.

I'm very confused about how to get Calibre to find the Kindle books (purchased and downloaded from Amazon) on my Nexus7. I have been looking through the books using the Kindle app on Nexus7, so I'm fairly sure they're actually downloaded and present on my N7. They seem to be in the sdcard Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/ in a big hot mess of apnx|embp|prc files.

I've got Calibre connected to the N7, and the device configuration includes the Android directory as one of the ones to scan for books. (And I have no trouble sending and retrieving books already in my Calibre library to N7 and back.)

But it's not finding these purchased Kindle books. If I understand your remarks above, it *should* find them, DRM or no. Or does the DRM prevent the linux Calibre program from even seeing these books?

(I am NOT asking about removal of DRM in any way shape or form, just to make that part clear.)
Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
tittle65

... I accidentally solved this, by removing the .OMCThemes directory from the list of scanned directories. It finally went into the Android directory and found everything!

By the way there seems to be a slight bug, when I click on the Device button, the physical display of the Calibre window shrinks horizontally by about a half centimeter, but it thinks it has the original dimensions. This means I can't quite click on narrow things anymore -- they are more to the right than they are displayed.

If there's a better place to put that bug report, I'll be happy to do that.
Advert
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tittle65 View Post
By the way there seems to be a slight bug, when I click on the Device button, the physical display of the Calibre window shrinks horizontally by about a half centimeter, but it thinks it has the original dimensions. This means I can't quite click on narrow things anymore -- they are more to the right than they are displayed.
That will be an artifact of whatever window manager you are using interacting with Qt, it's nothing that can be fixed in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote