Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
doc to epub

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a free program that can convert doc to epub? Calibre will only do so if I save the doc file as an rtf first and I have hundreds of doc files so do not want to have to do this. Someone here helped me with a program that will convert them to mobi and now I'd like one that will do epub so I can compare. Thanks!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Yout could try Atlantis Word Processor
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi Laura,

Can't help you with a FREE doc to epub program, but I believe the Atlantis Word Processor will read DOC and write EPUB for a reasonable price ($35 I think). I haven't used it myself but I believe you can try it for free.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48775

(Sorry, cross-post ...)

If you decide to stick with the long-winded-but-free option of MSWord I would recommend you convert your DOCs to HTML(Webpage-Filtered) rather than RTF before importing to Calibre. I think you will find more of the formatting in your source DOC will be correctly converted to the EPUB e.g. centre, right-align, hard-line-breaks to name but a few.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-31-2010 at 02:41 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
What platform are you on?

On linux, I'd just use something like AbiWord from the command line to convert .doc to .html (the link has instructions on batch conversion) and then to convert to ePub with calibre. It probably works on other platforms too. I've never tried.

This definitely can be done for free, in a variety of ways.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the info all. I am on Windows so can't do that. Also I have hundreds of doc files so I really want to avoid having to convert them to something else first and then to epub. I just want to directly convert the docs to epub without anything else inbetween.

I tried the free version of Atlantis but it only seems to convert half the document.
Advert
Old 01-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Does anyone know of a free program that can convert doc to epub? Calibre will only do so if I save the doc file as an rtf first and I have hundreds of doc files so do not want to have to do this. Someone here helped me with a program that will convert them to mobi and now I'd like one that will do epub so I can compare. Thanks!
If you have converted them to Mobi then just use the mobi files for the input and convert them to epub using Calibre.

But the best way to go from doc to epub is via html(filtered html if you save from Word). More info here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-31-2010 at 11:47 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Thanks for the info all. I am on Windows so can't do that.
Why not? There are Windows versions of both programs I mentioned.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 AM   #8
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
If you have converted them to Mobi then just use the mobi files for the input and convert them to epub using Calibre.

But the best way to go from doc to epub is via html(filtered html if you save from Word). More info here.
I've only converted a few to mobi. My PP can read html so maybe I'll just change them to html and leave it at that. I really don't want to have to save into one format first and then convert. As I said I have hundreds of documents and it would take forever doing it that way.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Why not? There are Windows versions of both programs I mentioned.
Oh right. Will have a look then but again if it's changing it to html first and then to epub I may as well just leave it as html and be done with it.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I tried the free version of Atlantis but it only seems to convert half the document.
Atlantis Word Processor always converts the entire document to EPUB. Please send your DOC file to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com, or attach to your forum post. Or post the corresponding screen captures.
awp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Laura81
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
Atlantis Word Processor always converts the entire document to EPUB. Please send your DOC file to support@AtlantisWordProcessor.com, or attach to your forum post. Or post the corresponding screen captures.
Is there a way I can view my epub document in Atlantis? It shows up only as half the document on my reader but maybe it's something wrong with the reader and not the conversion.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
awp
Addict
awp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverawp exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

I cannot say if the EPUB file is OK without having the original DOC file. As I understand, you cannot email or attach it.

Sorry, but the present version of Atlantis Word Processor cannot be used for reading EPUB books.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Can't you view the EPUB using the Ebook-Viewer in Calibre?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Laura81
Addict

Jackie - I hadn't thought of that so I installed Adobe Digital Edition to view it and it is all there from the conversion so it must have been the transfer or something that went poorly. I transfered it again and it shows up great.

So AWP, thanks for your help but all is well and Atlantis worked perfectly. Atlantis doesn't do batch convert by chance does it?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 AM   #15
awp
Addict

You could also test your EPUBs under your Windows in Sony Reader and Mobipocket Reader.