Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
AuthorGreg
Connoisseur
AuthorGreg began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 2nd Gen, Kindle 7" Fire HD
Removing Cover Image From MOBI File

Hello,

I was using KindleGen to convert ePub files to MOBI format, and I ended up having HUGE file sizes, meaning mucho dinero for Amazon in delivery fees. A 90,000 word book, for instance, with a 200KB cover image was generating a file on the Amazon product page listed at well over a meg.

Then I realized that in step 4 of the editing process on KDP one is asked to upload a cover image, and that it will be added to the book. But I had folks telling me in another forum that the cover image still needed to be in the MOBI file. I asked KDP about it, and around a year later (I exaggerate) they came back with this:

The cover image you upload in step 4 of the uploading process will automatically be added into your content. Therefore, there is no need to add the cover image within your .MOBI file too.

So that explains the huge file size, because in step 4 I was uploading a very high quality JPEG generated by Photoshop.

So I altered the OPF file and removed the image. KindleGen reported the error during the conversion, but it still left me with an apparent valid MOBI file that is now less than 500KB (part of that reduction is owed to me uploading a lower res cover image in step 4).

I wasn't able to find a lot of info on this subject, so I thought I'd post my experience here. And so far the final product appears just fine.

HTH someone.

G
AuthorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote