Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
B&N also has 101 Nook books under $2.99:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/eboo...less/379003856

Like other people have said: Deals from other bookstores just not get the same publicity as those by Amazon.
They also have a category for books under $5 where you can find deals.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/eBoo...fers/379003092

Another tip is that many of the books on Amazon's monthly deals are also offered on B&N and other EPUB sites for the same price.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Amazon does not make exclusivity a condition to offer an author's book as an ebook, they only insist on exclusivity if an author wants their book to be made available for lending.
Almost all KDP Select books are DRM free. So you can just drop them into Calibre and convert to epub.

B&N most of the time price matches publisher's deals so you just got to know where to look. I don't buy from them often. I think I have 5 books I actually paid for from them the rest are Fictionwise books and freebies.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
B&N also has 101 Nook books under $2.99:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/eboo...less/379003856

Like other people have said: Deals from other bookstores just not get the same publicity as those by Amazon.
Maybe that's their own fault. They are bombarding me with newsletters, yet have never once sent me an email with ebook deals, even though they only have my email address because I had a Nook account. I still look at their emails every now and then, but they are all useless to me.

I keep thinking that I should opt out....
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
To be honest, I'm an Amazon customer and they don't bombard me with freebies or discounts either.

The reason I know about most of them are through third party services that provide me daily lists, promotions posted here at MR and the Amazon web page itself.

Of course B&N don't sell to Australians at all, so they're not really in the competition for my money.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I would buy more books from B&N if they allowed me to use coupons and discounts on ebooks. They constantly send me discounts that I can never use. I have not bought a real book in years from them and do not have a store closer than 90 miles.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
To be honest, I'm an Amazon customer and they don't bombard me with freebies or discounts either.

The reason I know about most of them are through third party services that provide me daily lists, promotions posted here at MR and the Amazon web page itself.
I signed up to receive one daily email for the Kindle daily deal (I had to seek out the link myself, so they didn't just start sending me emails like BN do), and once a month they send me an email with the month's Kindle deals.

What I was trying to say is that, given that I already constantly get unsolicited emails from BN, you'd think at least one of those would contain Nook deals.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #22
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I would buy more books from B&N if they allowed me to use coupons and discounts on ebooks. They constantly send me discounts that I can never use. I have not bought a real book in years from them and do not have a store closer than 90 miles.
Apache
Exactly, why send coupons out that need to be printed out and carried into a store for pbooks in this day and age and leave out all ereading customers?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I signed up to receive one daily email for the Kindle daily deal (I had to seek out the link myself, so they didn't just start sending me emails like BN do), and once a month they send me an email with the month's Kindle deals.
What I was trying to say is that, given that I already constantly get unsolicited emails from BN, you'd think at least one of those would contain Nook deals.
The same B&N account is applicable to regular purchases and ebook purchases. That's why you get other coupons. All you have to do is go into your account info and turn off the email promotions and you won't receive those emails anymore. Then you have to request separately to receive the ebook emails. Visit the Daily Find page. Underneath today's deal there is a box to enter your email address and signup for those emails. It says you won't receive any other emails besides the daily ebook deal unless you've also enabled the regular subscription in your account settings. Hope that helps!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm

^ Thank you! I'll try to remember my password from way back when and follow those steps.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Bookworm Girl,

"Another tip is that many of the books on Amazon's monthly deals are also offered on B&N and other EPUB sites for the same price. "

Not so much..... I can show example after example where either B&N doesn't have the book at all, OR they're significantly higher in price...

Again, I make it a practice to check B&N any time I get something from Amazon with a book I'd like, or in here showing the monthly books... Again, though, I"m not looking at the romance or science fiction or biographies or whatever. But in mystery/fiction, there's currently very little comparison...

Which is unfortunate, 'cause Amazon may be great, but the Kindle bookreader app is mediocre at best.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Everybody has different preferences so what may work for one person may not work for someone else. My wallet could testify that indeed many times the monthly and daily deals on Amazon can be found on other sites. Sometimes it's because it's a publisher discount and sometimes I think that they are price-matching. I'm not a romance or science fiction reader. Mostly I read mysteries and historical fiction. I just don't encounter situations where the only place to buy the books that I like is Amazon or I'd be a Kindle user only and not bother looking at any other sites. Life would be simpler! And, I do agree that many times the B&N site is more expensive on regular priced books than other sites. I buy most books from Sony or Kobo and as a first option check my local library. There is no one answer to everybody's situation. But to answer the OP's original question, there are discounts on B&N but you have to go searching for them.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #27
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'm going to scream if I get another email from BN with a nice discount and the last thing you read is that it does not apply to Nook or Nook Accesories! grrrrrrr..
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
On the subject of promoting free ebooks:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...es/#more-47213

It seems Amazon thinks there are too many sites promoting too many of their freebies. And not entirely without reason, apparently:
Quote:
...what’s really going on here is that Amazon is closing a lucrative loophole in the affiliate program.

Loophole? What loophole?

Let me explain. There are a number of websites that direct you to free Kindle ebooks not because they want you to download the free ebook but because they hope that you’ll buy something else while on an Amazon website.

All of these sites are not using Amazon’s affiliate system for its intended purpose (advertising a product sold on Amazon), but to instead promote a free product in the hopes that they can pick up an affiliate fee or sales commission on a product they didn’t promote.

Amazon naturally thinks that the sites I describe above are gaming the system, and they’re not going to let the bigger sites get away with it anymore.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm

^ Wow, that's bad news - I don't think FreeReaderIQ will be able to survive this change!

I don't quite understand the thinking behind it anyway, since bringing customers to Amazon's site does lead to additonal purchases.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
^ Wow, that's bad news - I don't think FreeReaderIQ will be able to survive this change!

I don't quite understand the thinking behind it anyway, since bringing customers to Amazon's site does lead to additonal purchases.
The thinking, as Nate pointed out, is that some of the free sites have been collecting affiliates fees for sales of products they didn't actually promote. In the comments to the linked report, some folks offered up alternative solutions to that problem. They actually make more sense.
We'll see how it plays out.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote