Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 05:11 PM   #16
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by edonor View Post
Hello:
Sorry if I say something inappropriate, how I can do this cd v.5.3.2 Jailbreak to KT from home?
Greetings.
1. "Debrick" your Kindle with this program, and select the "jailbreak" option when asked. You will end up with a jailbroken KT 5.1.2.
2. Update your Kindle using the official 5.3.2 update from Amazon. You will end up with a jailbroken KT 5.3.2.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-17-2013 at 05:14 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
edonor
edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'edonor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok thanks,
tomorrow I'll get to do it, someone has done OK?
edonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Worked on my black K4

I can confirm that this method worked on my black K4 (using a Lenovo laptop normally running Win7 64).

My kindle was not bricked, so there was nothing to fix, only wanted a clean installation after playing around with it. The most tricky thing was getting it in USB download mode (thick fingers...). The instructions are very clear and easy.

Afterwards I had to reinstall the kindlet-jb to get KUAL working again (guess that is normal).

Thanks, appreciate all your effort!

JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 AM   #19
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
What about configuring autologin and launching the app from .bashrc ?
THAT would make the liveCD truly user friendly.

http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/plugh/
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #20
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
What about configuring autologin and launching the app from .bashrc ?
THAT would make the liveCD truly user friendly.

http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Code/plugh/
I had actually thought about autologin, but then decided that it's bearable to type 4 letters

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look at it when I find the time.
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I would like to try this - got a virgin 5.3.2 that is registered and got a few books on it. Was just wondering if this might work on a usb stick? Unless you say it definately cannot work from usb stick, then I won't even try and go dig out a cd.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 AM   #22
joseludi
joseludi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I would like to try this - got a virgin 5.3.2 that is registered and got a few books on it. Was just wondering if this might work on a usb stick? Unless you say it definately cannot work from usb stick, then I won't even try and go dig out a cd.
I've tried with Universal USB Installer, but without any success. This program doens't recognize the iso file.

I've just discovered one alternative way to use a pendrive. I can't try now because I'm at work.

If you have Ubuntu you can try this
joseludi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 AM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseludi View Post
I've tried with Universal USB Installer, but without any success. This program doens't recognize the iso file.

I've just discovered one alternative way to use a pendrive. I can't try now because I'm at work.

If you have Ubuntu you can try this
Ah thanks. No I don't have Ubuntu. The second link looks like it will only work with their iso? Will try win32diskimager when I get to my notebook. That worked to create a debian livecd on a usb-stick. Going to see if ixtabs iso works with it. If it works and Touch becomes jailbroke, will report back.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #24
joseludi

Quote:
Ah thanks. No I don't have Ubuntu. The second link looks like it will only work with their iso? Will try win32diskimager when I get to my notebook. That worked to create a debian livecd on a usb-stick. Going to see if ixtabs iso works with it. If it works and Touch becomes jailbroke, will report back.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old 02-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #25
joseludi

Quote:
The second alternative is for install SliTaz to USB from Windows (the iso file is a modified version of Slitaz)
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseludi View Post
try with the latest option:
Click image for larger version

Name:	usbcreator.png
Views:	2284
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	101530

you can use "linux live usb creator" also
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #27
joseludi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
try with the latest option:
Attachment 101530

you can use "linux live usb creator" also
I'll try this afternoon. Thanks
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
ixtab
(offline)

... or, if you're confident about what your're doing and have at least a bit of Linux experience, you can try the way that is described in the "Technical stuff" spoiler in the first post. This definitely works, but as said it requires a few actions, and a little bit of understanding of what you're doing.

So, I suggest to try the other options first, maybe one of them works. And please report back.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Success without needing VM or CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... or, if you're confident about what your're doing and have at least a bit of Linux experience, you can try the way that is described in the "Technical stuff" spoiler in the first post. This definitely works, but as said it requires a few actions, and a little bit of understanding of what you're doing.

So, I suggest to try the other options first, maybe one of them works. And please report back.
It worked. No problem at all. Well, ...

... there were a few complications. It definitely is not a noobish quest, as you wanted to hear about from your technical spoiler. Burning the iso to the usb-stick went without problem. I used a fresh copy of win32diskimager - it wants to burn *.img files, so I selected *.* and picked the extracted iso from first post, then write, and done.

Rebooting, select usb-disk to boot from, and it starts. Log in as root, and the autostart.sh failed. Apparently as it started from a usb device, it thinks that a usb-stick version is booted up. Since it techincally is still a live-cd, it needs some convincing - basically needs the entire autostart.sh manually redone with the correct device. In my case the usb-sticks partition was in /dev/sdb1 - mounted that to /media/cdrom, then followed the clear instructions in autostart.sh to replicate the rest - mounting java.sds, linking kubrick, starting kubrick.

Then I went and "debricked" my 5.3.2, chose the jailbreak option, reboot. The reboot did not work correctly as it complained that it could not unmount everything. Oh well, hard reboot computer then, back to windows, copy over the update file for 5.3.2. Now I have a jailbroke 5.3.2 - no need to mess with a VM (don't have one) or waste a cd on burning it to cd..

In short, if you want easy, download the iso file, burn it onto a cd (rw), boot into it and it goes waaaaaaaaaay easier than burning it into a usb-stick directly.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
joseludi

Failed Jailbreak: Kindle in diagnose mode

At least I've burn a cd-rw.

Everythins has been OK, until the moment of flashing the main partition. The green bar after 2 or 3 seconds turns to red telling: "failed" (I've been waiting for fifteen minutes without success).

I've tried 2 more times with the same result: "failed" when is on the screen: "we are now flashing the main partition. This will probably take between 3 and 10 minutes"

The kindle remains in Diagnostic Mode. I've tried pushing the power button for 20 seconds, choosing "reboot system" in the diagnose menu.

I must say that my KT has the 5.3.2 firmware and has never had jailbreak