Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
when might we see a new kindle touch?

I got the first generation touch and my wife told me when the paper white came out, no way you are getting that...so I am stuck waiting to exercise the loophole and get the next one...a month? 6 months? a year? what time frame are we looking at here...
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Paperwhite is the new Kindle Touch.

I'd guess we'll see the next eInk Kindle in the Fall, but that's just a guess.

Previous Kindle release dates...
Kindle 1 = November 2007
Kindle 2 = February 2009, October 2009 for International version
Kindle 3 (Keyboard) = July 2010
Kindle 4/NT = September 2011 (black version 2012)
Kindle Touch = November 2011
Paperwhite = October 2012
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Next fall, if they release a new one, is the most likely date.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:17 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
I got the first generation touch and my wife told me when the paper white came out, no way you are getting that...so I am stuck waiting to exercise the loophole and get the next one...a month? 6 months? a year? what time frame are we looking at here...
My hubby said the same thing to me. I had my own money so I got one. Now every night I tell him. Did I tell you how much I love my Paperwhite?

Buy the PW and if you decide to keep it then sell your Kindle Touch. Problem solved with having too many.

The PW is amazing with the front light built in. It's a totally different reading experience says the woman who owns 4 other Kindles. I'd sell my other Kindles but it's too much a hassle. I have no plans on using them. Well I use one K4 on hubby's account for Prime Book Lending but that's it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My hubby said the same thing to me. I had my own money so I got one. Now every night I tell him. Did I tell you how much I love my Paperwhite?

Buy the PW and if you decide to keep it then sell your Kindle Touch. Problem solved with having too many.

The PW is amazing with the front light built in. It's a totally different reading experience says the woman who owns 4 other Kindles. I'd sell my other Kindles but it's too much a hassle. I have no plans on using them. Well I use one K4 on hubby's account for Prime Book Lending but that's it.
Thanks I may just break, I have the lighted cover on the touch but the light zaps me in the eye so I have to keep a finger on it when I read...not ideal.
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks I may just break, I have the lighted cover on the touch but the light zaps me in the eye so I have to keep a finger on it when I read...not ideal.
I have said and will say again. The Front Lighting on the PW is nothing like a book Light. It's a totally different experience. You can't compare the two. I thought it would be like a built in book light but it isn't. It's a total new technology that unless you go see one at your local Best Buy it's hard to describe but it's better than a book light. It literally changes the background. It masks the eInk so unless you have it under 5 you don't even know it's eInk it not LCD but something different. The higher the light the whiter the background is. You do seem to lose text contrast the higher you go but a custom font can fix that.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I folded a post-it in half and stuck it on the light - with the sticky part of the post-it along the arm of the light. So basically it created a shield that prevented the light from shining into my eyes. Not very elegant, but it worked.

Of course, that was before I gave in and bought a PW.

I resisted about 6 hours, actually.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
The Paperwhite is also a full Touch Kindle. They've actually removed the last (Home) button too. I think that there never will be a Touch without frontlight.

Or, maybe, they'll replace the Kindle-with-buttons with a touch-version: 2GB RAM, 800x600, no front light, and the "new" PW would be 4GB, 1024x768 (or even higher), front light... you know what I mean.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have said and will say again. The Front Lighting on the PW is nothing like a book Light. It's a totally different experience. You can't compare the two. I thought it would be like a built in book light but it isn't. It's a total new technology that unless you go see one at your local Best Buy it's hard to describe but it's better than a book light. It literally changes the background. It masks the eInk so unless you have it under 5 you don't even know it's eInk it not LCD but something different. The higher the light the whiter the background is. You do seem to lose text contrast the higher you go but a custom font can fix that.
Actually,...., way before PW came out.
I got this light with two goose neck light (each one has two light settings), the light cover whole screen well. Very important, take the clear plastic cover off, so the light will be even (no shadow). I always clip light from bottom of my ereader, so the light does not shine to my face. My family sometimes complained when they walked by me, so bright.
Anyway, as the all in one solution, PW is the way to go. I really do like mine a lot.
I think it is ok to post an ebay link, if not, search "Dual Arm 4 LED Flexible Stand Book Laptop Light Lamp".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280638033647...84.m1423.l2649
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
Actually,...., way before PW came out.
I got this light with two goose neck light (each one has two light settings), the light cover whole screen well. Very important, take the clear plastic cover off, so the light will be even (no shadow). I always clip light from bottom of my ereader, so the light does not shine to my face. My family sometimes complained when they walked by me, so bright.
Anyway, as the all in one solution, PW is the way to go. I really do like mine a lot.
I think it is ok to post an ebay link, if not, search "Dual Arm 4 LED Flexible Stand Book Laptop Light Lamp".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280638033647...84.m1423.l2649
That's a cheap Mighty Bright rip off. You can see the original here I totally recommended Mighty Bright I have two of them that still work after 4 years.

It still can't hold a candle to the PW. If you shine a light on the Kindle all you see is eInk with the PW you get a total new screen that masks the eInk look and makes it looks like a book.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Dubstepper
Dubstepper began at the beginning.

Device: Fire, K3 3G
Reading from this it look like about every year a new model comes out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
Dubstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
bluerfoot
Zealot

Any rumors floating around? I waited out current generation hope they are cooking something up sept or oct....
Old 08-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Any rumors floating around? I waited out current generation hope they are cooking something up sept or oct....
The Kindle eInk rumor mill seems very quiet this year. I think there is more excitement over tablet rumors these days as opposed to eInk rumors. Amazon traditionally introduces new models in early fall, so we should know in a month or so. My guess is we will see a lot of new Fire tablets and a couple of lackluster eInk reader upgrades. Hope I'm wrong as I would like to upgrade my Kindle Touch, but not to a PW lighted fiasco.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
bluerfoot
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Kindle eInk rumor mill seems very quiet this year. I think there is more excitement over tablet rumors these days as opposed to eInk rumors. Amazon traditionally introduces new models in early fall, so we should know in a month or so. My guess is we will see a lot of new Fire tablets and a couple of lackluster eInk reader upgrades. Hope I'm wrong as I would like to upgrade my Kindle Touch, but not to a PW lighted fiasco.
why a fiasco?