Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
I love my Kobo Glo but will Kobo love me back?

I discovered Kobo in early December and immediately replaced my kindle with a glo and two k-mini's.

I appreciate so much the innovation Kobo has brought to the ereader that has enhanced my reading experience. The line spacing, font size and sharpness are all really cool. And I really enjoy all the data on the book progress report. That part alone is worth the investment for me.

But now I have a problem with my Glo. A week ago the very lower left corner of the reader stopped responding. This means I could no longer adjust the light intensity and cannot highlight text or make notes.

I tried everything I could think of including a complete reset, charging the unit, adjusting the reading settings and much more. Every other part of the screen responds well, I can access all the menus, sync, etc without a problem.

So, using a Kobo help email address picked up from this forum, I sent Kobo a message asking for help. I got a fairly quick response and within four days I had two emails back. The last email asked for a bunch of info that I then supplied.

That was three days ago and since then I haven't heard a thing. I`ve got that sinking feeling you get when it`s not going well.

I am reaching out again to Kobo, called and emailed them today.

I hope they chose to love me back...
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Did they ask you to take a photo of your device? If so, they are probably sending you a replacement with a stamped envelope to send your current Glo back.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Treadlightly, no they didn`t ask for a photo, but that would make sense for them to do that.

They did ask for the glo`s serial number, where and when I bought it and questions like that.

My main issue right now is that this is a fairly simple problem - either fix this one or send me a new one - but take some action to help me. If Kobo customer service is understaffed and overworked and it is going to take a few days more to get to me, then that is okay, just let me know. Just don't ignore me.

I am the kind of customer I believe every ebook company wants, I do all my reading on ereaders now, I buy the newest and greatest units and load them with a lot of books. I am also loyal to a fault when the company I am dealing with stands behind their products. I don't expect perfection in the Kobo products, but I do want Kobo to be committed towards that objective.

I just want Kobo to step up and make it right.

Still loving Kobo, but as time passes it is getting more difficult to do so. Still hopeful that my last three emails and phone call stir up some response from Kobo customer service.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
It does take a few days for them to get going. A Kobo Touch, that I gave to the wife after getting a Glo, stopped working, wouldn't respond to being touched. The screen itself worked just fine and would turn off and on with no problem but the IR wasn't working. I sent an email to their customer support and received an email back on Jan. 17th saying it was being escalated to Tier 2. A week later on the 23rd I got a response back saying that the Kobo needed to be replaced and that they were shipping a replacement out the next day. Unfortunately the replacement was a dud, arrived with a cracked screen although the box it came in was undamaged. It also had a corner that wasn't flush with the screen, there was a gap big enough to easily slip a business card in between the screen and the IR sensor. Sent another email off with pictures yesterday and received a response back this morning that they are sorry about the replacement and another one is being sent out tomorrow.

So, crappy situation but I have been happy so far with their response time in trying to correct this problem. So expect about a week for a response back. Hell I am waiting on Corsair for a computer part that I had to RMA, been almost 2 weeks now since they got the faulty part and I haven't heard anything other than the RMA is in progress. At least Kobo ships out the new unit the day after they say they are going to replace it.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
desert dog
Zealot

Danger, thanks for that input, that helps a lot.

I can be patient. Knowing the timing of how Kobo customer support responded to your wife's ereader issue restores hope that I haven't been forgotten, it is just not my turn yet.

If I didn't really love the Kobo Glo more than my Kindle pw, I wouldn't be so involved with the process. I would not enjoy going back to using only Kindle, but I will if needed.

It seems like some of the Kobo customer service personell are active on these forums, so I make a humble suggestion to them: set up an email system that acknowledges the issue and offers a rough time frame for when action might take place. If I know I am a week or two out from action on my issue, that's cool, I have the certainty that it will be done.

Thanks again for your message Danger.
Advert
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Danger, thanks for that input, that helps a lot.

I can be patient. Knowing the timing of how Kobo customer support responded to your wife's ereader issue restores hope that I haven't been forgotten, it is just not my turn yet.

If I didn't really love the Kobo Glo more than my Kindle pw, I wouldn't be so involved with the process. I would not enjoy going back to using only Kindle, but I will if needed.

It seems like some of the Kobo customer service personell are active on these forums, so I make a humble suggestion to them: set up an email system that acknowledges the issue and offers a rough time frame for when action might take place. If I know I am a week or two out from action on my issue, that's cool, I have the certainty that it will be done.

Thanks again for your message Danger.
You might also try @kobohelp on Twitter for a possibly faster response.

http://blog.kobobooks.com/the-kobo-c...itter-account/
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
desert dog
Zealot

rwhe, thanks for that info. I will try that if I don't hear anything back soon...
Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Is it possible you have some dust or something similar blocking the IR detectors? Have you tried gently blowing into the bezel around the edge of the screen?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
desert dog
Zealot

moffattm - hey, hadnt thought of that. It is worth a shot. thanks for some outside-the-box thinking!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #10
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Hold reader screen down above eye level and brush edges of screen to clear anything that might block tiny square notches in bezel for IR light sensors. Worked for me.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Or use a can of compressed air to blow around the edges good.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
desert dog
Zealot

Great news. Kobo just sent me some love in an email saying they are going to send me a new Glo.

I feel much relieved. Kobo has a fan for life in me. Even if I have problems with this ereader or other Kobo units in the future, I will stay with them since they stand behind their proucts.

Thanks to everyone for the positive comments and help.

It is great to have a forum like this.