Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #61
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
80 novels in 2013

My goal for this year is 80 novels, which I met a few months ago.

My Goodreads list - my preferred genres are dystopian, fantasy, urban fantasy, scifi - amd I read some romance this year, for the first time ever.
(I use goodreads only to keep track of my read/TBR lists)

I'll also try to read a few classics this year.

Other numbers for 2013
Books read: 188 -14<wow! I can't believe how many I already read!!
Books bought: I lost count, darn it!
Books abandoned mid-way: 14 (life's too short)
Books really, really hated: 21
Books re-read because they were so good: 2
Dead tree books bought: 3 to donate to my library, because I found them cheaper and they are a hot item at the moment
Dead tree books read: 0
eReaders bought: 2

Best books & series of 2013 - almost all are from newly discovered authors:

Fantasy & Dystopian:
Mystic City, Defiance, Crewel 1 & 2 , Mistborn Trilogy, Unravel Me

Urban Fantasy:
Kate Daniels series, Mercy Thompson series, Charley Davidson series, Twice tempted (from the Night Huntress series), Cassie Palmer series, Allie Beckstrom series

Romance:
Wicked Series, anything by Jennifer Crusie, The Turncoat

Last edited by xendula; 11-30-2013 at 10:46 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #62
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
75 books

Late to the game, but who cares. My initial goal was to read 75 books during 2013. With 19 books read during January (partially due to exceptional circumstances), I guess I might need to adjust the goal upwards.

January

1. The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary: A True Story of Resilience and Recovery by Andrew Westoll
Interesting read, though much more focused on the history of the individual chimps and the legislation preventing research on chimps than on primatology. 7/10
2. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
I enjoyed it -- though could have lived without all the personal issues and more focus on the trail. 8/10
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Funny, but nothing exceptional. 6/10
4. Taking Sudoku Seriously: The Math Behind the World's Most Popular Pencil Puzzle by Jason Rosenhouse, Laura Taalman
Very interesting, a good balance between the focus on sudokus and mathematics in general. 8/10
5. My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell
Great read, nice understated British humor, amazing small portaits of live on Corfu. 8/10
6. Birds, Beasts, and Relatives by Gerald Durrell
A sequel to the previous book, surprisingly no decrease in quality. 8/10
7. Garden of the Gods by Gerald Durrell
Last book of the Corfu trilogy, still very strong. 8/10
8. Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison
Amusing, sometimes there might be slight exaggeration by the author. 7/10
9. Odd Thomas: An Odd Thomas Novel by Dean Koontz
Light, easy read. Normally I am not a great fan of the paranormal genre, but Koontz at least makes it effortless. 7/10
10. The Wild Rover: A Blistering Journey Along Britain's Footpaths by Mike Parker
Hmmm. I actually thought it was #3 on this list when I started reading. Both have 'Wild' in the title and some stuff about hiking on the cover text. The writing is not very fluent, the chapters only moderately interesting. 5/10
11. Forever Odd: An Odd Thomas Novel by Dean Koontz
Another light read. 7/10
12. How to Walk a Puma: And Other Things I Learned While Stumbling through South America by Peter Allison
Amusing, but nothing amazing 6/10.
13. Brother Odd by Dean Koontz
Again, and easy Odd novel. I feel it is quite skillful how Koontz makes the main character evolve -- it keeps these books attractive. 7/10
14. Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos by Peter Allison
In my opinion the better of the three books of Allison I read the last weeks. 8/10
15. Odd Hours by Dean Koontz
I guess one can have too much of the same -- little novelty in this one. 6/10
16. The Day the World Discovered the Sun: An Extraordinary Story of Scientific Adventure and the Race to Track the Transit of Venus by Mark Anderson
A very interesting and entertaining read, where Anderson follows various natural philosophers who study the Venus transit in 1761 & 1769. It nicely mixes scientific discovery and adventure and in addition describes scientific progress during the 1760s. So far the best book I've read in 2013. 9/10
17. Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland
Very well written, as I had expected from the reviews and acclaim. Holland manages a rather objective narrative of events where it is easy to choose favorite parties and is able to clearly indicate cause and consequences of this hectic period of the Roman Republic. 8/10
18. Handbook of Epictetus by Epictetus
Though provoking. Which might have been the goal. 8/10
19. Quantum Gods: Creation, Chaos, and the Search for Cosmic Consciousness by Victor J. Stenger
Not what I had expected it to be. A lot of ranting against different theists, a bit of quantum mechanics. Overall not very coherent. 6/10
February

20. Legion of Thunder by Stan Nicholls
Second book in a fantasy series of three, written from the perspective of an Orc band. The first book was pretty cool, and for sure from a novel perspective. In this one there's nothing new or surprising. I am not even sure whether or not I will start the third book. 5/10
21. Ruhlman's Twenty: The Ideas and Techniques that Will Make You a Better Cook by Michael Ruhlman
I liked this one a lot. Basically featuring twenty concepts, ingredients and techniques for cooking, illustrated with different recipes. It is a very nice overview of some of the basic concepts underlying good food and great fun in the kitchen. 9/10
22. The Quantum Universe: Everything That Can Happen Happens by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw
This book hovers on the far edge of popular science, with the already not so light subject of quantum mechanics described and discussed thoroughly, with more than a flavor of mathematics. Someway past the middle the authors suddenly delve into the principles behind transistors -- which I always had understood quite well without being too versed in quantum mechanics. The last chapter deal with the Higgs boson, the reason I bought the book, though the explanation was not into the depth I hoped (or I am less smart than thought ). 8/10
23. The Evolution of Useful Things: How Everyday Artifacts-From Forks and Pins to Paper Clips and Zippers-Came to be as They are. by Henry Petroski
I was only moderately impressed with this book. I had expected it to be more focussed on the engineering issues, but it had a lot of design, which I only appreciated so-so. 7/10
24. The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald
Entertaining read, I liked the bitter humor and the seemingly accurate descriptions of life in the untamed Pacific North West in the 1920s. 8/10
March

25. Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi
A 'real' cooking book with recipes. I like it, but his other book (which will appear later on my list ) seems much better. 7/10
26. I Love Macarons by Hisako Ogita.
A definitive disappointment. Conversions of quantities are a mess and a lot of the advice is just not useful or even completely wrong. 4/10
27. Les Petits Macarons by Anne E. McBride and Kathryn Gordon.
Much better than the Ogita book, I used a couple of the recipes and they turned out well. 7/10
28. Detroit: An American Autopsy by Charlie LeDuff
Recommended to my by a friend, I wouldn't have gotten it otherwise. Raw and harsh, but very gripping. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone interested in contemporary events. 8/10
April

29. Sacred Trash: The Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza by Adina Hoffman and Peter Cole
The blurb sounded more interesting than the book actually was. Some interesting aprts, but otherwise rather boring chronological descriptions. 5/10
30. Cheap Meat: Flap Food Nations in the Pacific Islands by Deborah Gewertz and Frederick Errington
I tend to be interested in reading about food, food politics and food economics, but this one simply doesn't cut it. These anthropologists apparently haven't left the 'noble savage' concept behind. 4/10
31. The Man of Numbers: Fibonacci's Arithmetic Revolution by Keith J. Devlin
Either I am getting too critical, or I have bad luck/judgement in purchasing books lately. Another mediocre read, somewhere between a biography and a history of mathematics; inadequate as either or a combination. 4/10
May

32. VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good by Mark Bittman
No, I am not overweight and don't need nor intend to go on a diet. But, I do like the writing of NYT food-writer Mark Bittman. Generally, his books are a must read. This one doesn't feature on top of my list, but it was interesting and has some fun recipes -- all vegan, which considering his history is worth a smile. 7/10
33. On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen by Harold McGee's
So. This one took me 4 months to get through -- with some other books interspersed. Like the title indicates, the chemistry and physics behind food and cooking. Highly interesting, incredible information dense. Useful for reading cover to cover once and then to be kept as a reference work. 9/10
June

34. Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman! by Richard Feynman
Well know autobiographic work from the famous Nobel-price winner, has been on my 'to read' list for a long time. I enjoyed reading it, partially because of the interesting historic perspective it gives on the Manhattan project. The writing is not superb, but the interesting life of Feynman makes up for it. 7/10
35. Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
Discussed somewhere here in the MR forums, I picked up this book a couple of weeks ago. It has a promising start, but then really keeps focused on big food businesses without considering consumers actually making conscious choices. I felt the many interesting facts in the book are not quite put in perspective. 6/10
36. Gun Guys: A Road Trip by Dan Baum
One more I was inspired to read by the discussions here on MR, this time the one with regards to guns and gun violence. Not quite convinced of the use and appropriateness of permissive gun-laws myself, I found this book putting an interesting perspective on the proponents of that viewpoint. It did something to convince me that putting highly restrictive gun-laws in the US society at this moment might not be the ideal solution. 8/10
37. The Year Without Summer: 1816 and the Volcano That Darkened the World and Changed History by William K. Klingaman and Nicholas P. Klingaman
Not quite as exciting as the blurb promises, but still an enjoyable read. I would have liked to see a bit more science behind it, and maybe a slightly more extensive look at the aftermath (stopping in May 1817 was too early from my point of view). 7/10
38. Kingdom of Ants: Jose Celestino Mutis and the Dawn of Natural History in the New World by Edward O. Wilson and José M. Gómez Durán
Whereas it's a bit on the short side, I did enjoy this book focusing on the life and science of Mutis. He was one of the earlier scientists on the South-American continent and also one of the first entomologists that studied ants. 7/10
39. Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz
Got this one a while ago from the library, but it was expired when I got around to reading it -- so I had to wait until it was available again. I still like how the character evolves and Koontz is always good for some surprises. 8/10
40. About Time: Cosmology and Culture at the Twilight of the Big Bang by Adam Frank
I enjoyed this one a lot. It basically follows the understanding and use of time throughout human history. There's quite a bit of science, some cultural aspects as well as history and reflections on society. I'd thoroughly recommend it! 9/10
41. Prehistory: The Making Of The Human Mind by Colin Renfrew
Concise book, more about the study of prehistory than about prehistory itself. I found it very interesting to see how a sub-discipline of history developed and evolved. 8/10
42. Reinventing the Meal: How Mindfulness Can Help You Slow Down, Savor the Moment, and Reconnect with the Ritual of Eating by Pavel G. Somov
Yuk. Horrible book. I had assumed it was some reflection on the Slow-Food movement which is an interesting and laudable initiative. However, it turned out to be some New-Age drivel about the meditation before and during a meal. To add to the insult, the book is incoherently written. Abandoned. 2/10
43. The Loom of God: Tapestries of Mathematics and Mysticism by Clifford A. Pickover
Not quite sure what to think of this one. It is a mixture between some weird sf and interesting tide-bits on mathematics. In addition each chapter has some more details on the mathematics touched upon the fiction part. Frankly, I could have done without the sf 7/10
July

44. Middle Sea by John Julius Norwich
This works describes a huge stretch of time and many nations. I does lean a tad too much to the numerous wars that were fought during the 5000 or so years of history, but I learned many new things while reading this major work. I will definitely add some more Norwich books to my TBR list. 8/10
45. The Human Story by James C. Davis
A single book with the full history of humanity is an ambitious undertaking in any event. Davis does not do a bad job, but definitely manages to glance over many important events, persons and even cultures.

The book is extremely easy to read as is claimed, but sometimes the writing style which seems to be geared towards readers that don't have education beyond the primary school starts to rub a bit. The quality definitely suffers by the endeavor to keep the writing style simple.

This book is definitely more suitable for those with a brief interest in our past than people who have a genuine and long term history interest. 4/10
46. The Last Train to Zona Verde: My Ultimate African Safari by Paul Theroux
This is less a book about a voyage Theroux made, but rather about himself. It's one of the least interesting books I have read by him. Certainly, he is an erudite and his reflections are thought-provoking, but that's not what I bought this book for. 6/10
47. Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II by Mitchell Zuckoff
The author skilfully narrates about a quest to track down a plane crashed during WWII in Greenland and the stories of a number of survivors of other plane crashes and the rescue missions in WWII Greenland. I found it a rather gripping book, which realistically portrayed the difficulties of the current discovery mission as well as the hardship the crash survivors went through. 8/10
48. The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter
I hesitate a bit before purchasing this book. I greatly enjoyed the first installment of this series, but was not quite looking forward to battle scenes etc. However, the book got good reviews and considering the writing skills of the authors I bought it anyway. I was positively surprised, both the plot and character development are logical extensions of the first book. 8/10
49. Band-Aid for a Broken Leg: Being a Doctor with No Borders and Other Ways to Stay Single by Damien Brown
A no-nonsense book about the work the author did for Médecins sans Frontières in Angola, Mozambique and Sudan. It describes the reality without romanticizing and does an excellent job in depicting the harsh decisions to be taken in when dealing with people that are ill or injured under conditions with very limited resources. 7/10
50. Called Again: A Story of Love and Triumph by Jennifer Pharr Davis
This book describes the two record setting hikes of the author on the Appalachian Trail, mainly focusing on the overall record the Davis set in 2011. It realistically described what it takes to walk over 75 kilometers a day on average for 46 consecutive days. Whereas I overall enjoyed the book, the author does focus a bit to often and too long on her religion for my taste. 6/10
51. Why Cats Land on Their Feet: And 76 Other Physical Paradoxes and Puzzles by Mark Levi
I thought this would be an entertaining book with a bunch of puzzles with probably surprising solutions. I had hoped to pick up some curious tidbits of physics knowledge reading the explanations. It turner out the puzzles are mostly tedious, with the explanations being rather concise and therefor lacking of clarity or generally not providing any insights. Added to that there's more than a fair bit of grammar and spelling errors. 3/10
52. This Life Is in Your Hands: One Dream, Sixty Acres, and a Family Undone by Melissa Coleman
An autobiographical work of a child growing up in a hippy community focused on organic gardening during the late seventies and early eighties. Eliot Coleman, father of the author, is currently considered one of the great experts on organic gardening and season extension. The book definitely shines another light on Coleman, the Nearings from which he learned the tricks of the trade and the general early organic growing movement. 7/10
53. The Stardust Revolution: The New Story of Our Origin in the Stars by Jacob Berkowitz
A highly interesting and well documented book about the origin of the atoms and molecules that have facilitated planet formation and the evolution of life. The book discusses these from a highly scientific angle, but manages to be readable and entertaining. Not only the discoveries of the last couple of centuries leading to the current body of knowledge are discussed but also the scientists doing the research. This book has earned itself a spot high on my all-time-favorite list. 9/10
August

54. Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan
Pollan is probably the best known author involved in the debate of factory food vs healthy food (though he does word is more subtly). Especially The Omnivores Dilemma was an eye opener for many people, and has held best selling status for a very long time. The problem for Pollan is that he said what had to be said very well and eloquent, and he has failed to reinvent himself since. So, whereas this book is entertaining and clearly written by a very good author, it basically brings nothing new. 7/10
55. London: The Biography by Peter Ackroyd
A rather hefty volume (and that as an ebook ), describing basically any aspect of London you can think of. It is generally very well written, however riddled with quotes giving it authenticity but sometimes complicating the reading. A lot of words were used to describe the lives of the underclasses and the social disadvantaged. Very little attention was given to the upper-classes and intellectuals though I'd think that, even if they always have been a minority, they have also played a role in shaping London through times. 7/10
56. A Palette of Particles by Jeremy Bernstein
Don't be fooled by appearance, seems to be the take-home message for this book. That’s not only the general message in the content, but also a reflection on the size of this book. Bernstein does a superb job at explaining what basic particles common matter is made up off, as well as giving detailed explanation of the more exotic particles that have been observed in physics experiments. The book is brief but comprehensive and in my opinion succeeds in explaining fundamental physical concepts in layman’s terms without losing out on precision. Additionally, the book provides a chronology of the discoveries, both theoretical and as detected, as well as some background about the leading physicists of the last century.

Overall, this book provides a lot of knowledge in well written form and I would heartily recommend it for anyone interested in general science and quantum physics. 9/10
57. Fear of Physics by Lawrence Krauss
Stumbled over it while purchasing the book listed above. I like Krauss' writing, and have especially enjoyed his 'Universe from Nothing'. This book is more geared towards a public generally interested in physics, and goes into some length in explaining methods that physicist use when developing new hypothesis and testing them. It provides many well explained examples of physical phenomenons. 7/10
58. The Bonobo and the Atheist: In Search of Humanism Among the Primates by Frans de Waal
Frans de Waal asks whether morals and ethics are really unique to humans, or whether we can actually find moral behavior in animals. Considering the title, it won't come as a surprise that De Waal provides very convincing arguments for the existence of moral behavior and ethical values in primates. He presents his evidence from a distinct atheist view, without being dogmatic about it. A very refreshing and interesting read. 8/10
59. Extraction by Preston and Child
A short novella in their Pendergast series, to announce their new book to be published later this year. Boring and predictable. 4/10
60. Relic by Preston and Child
Having read a 'boring and predictable' story by Preston and Child I was somehow inclined to re-read the Pendergast series. This is the first book, that I had actually somewhere in a box full of paperbacks. Still as thrilling as the first time I read it. 8/10
61. Stephen Jay Gould and the Politics of Evolution by David F. Prindle
Looking through some boxes of paperbacks I stumbled over some Gould books from the 90s; convinced I had not read the books he published before his early demise in 2002 I went to Amazon. I bought 'The Rock of Ages', and found this one. There was also a book about his scientific legacy, but at $132 I found that a bit steep. It was an interesting read, but nothing very surprising. 6/10
62.Reliquary by Preston and Child
Second book of the Pendergast series. A great read. 8/10
September

63. A Devil's Chaplain by Richard Dawkins
A selection of Dawkins essays that was published about 10 years ago, but I never got around to reading. If anything, Dawkins is consistent in his arguments and interests. I really like the eulogy he wrote for Douglas Adams. 7/10
64. The Cabinet of Curiosities by Preston and Child
Third book of the Pendergast series, where the protagonist starts being developed quite a bit deeper. 8/10
65. The Mind within the Brain: How We Make Decisions and How those Decisions Go Wrong by A. David Redish
A very detailed description of the neurological and cognitive processes underlying memory, behavior and decision making processes. Although the different processes are well described, the author goes into the great detail needed to really understand the basic science behind them, so the book is not exactly an easy read. I enjoyed it greatly though, and definitely learned a lot from it (and now even understand part of the neurology underlying that learning process 8/10
66. The Philosophical Breakfast Club: Four Remarkable Friends Who Transformed Science and Changed the World by Laura J. Snyder
The book describes the lives and science of the four protagonists very well, and is definitely entertaining. It also manages to put in the historic, social and economic context, which greatly helps to value the discoveries.
67. Still Life With Crows by Preston and Child
Fourth book from the Pendergast series, I think it's probably the best one of the series so far. 9/10
68. Brilliant Blunders: From Darwin to Einstein - Colossal Mistakes by Great Scientists That Changed Our Understanding of Life and the Universe by Mario Livio
Definitely not what the title promises it to be. I was rather disappointed, it's a book describing that even brilliant scientists make mistakes. But not on the subjects that they are known for and did change our understanding of science. 3/10
October

69. Intuition Pumps And Other Tools for Thinking by Daniel C. Dennett
My first pick in a personal quest to increase my background in philosophy. A very nice introduction to the subject, clearly written in brief chapters. 8/10
70. Brimstone by Preston and Child
Fifth book in Pendergast series, not too strong. First part of a mini-series. 6/10
71. Dance of Death by Preston and Child
Book six of the series, and the second of a 3 part mini-series. The book starts strong, but looses pace towards the end. 7/10
72. In the Hands of A Chef: Cooking with Jody Adams of Rialto Restaurant by Jody Adams and Ken Rivard
Was supposed to be a book describing how a great chef cooks at home with modest ingredients. Turns out to be a book showing how a modest chef cooks at home with great ingredients. Not very useful. 4/10
73. The Panda's Thumb: More Reflections in Natural History (Reflections in Natural History #2) by Stephen Jay Gould
A collection of his early essays. Very good and thought provoking. 7/10
74. The Flaw of Averages: Why We Underestimate Risk in the Face of Uncertainty by Sam L. Savage
I was tremendously disappointed with this book. I got the false impression that it would focus on statistics in all aspects of life -- instead it is on discussing business cases, which makes it rather boring. In addition, statistical principles are discussed in very lay terms, without any of the actualy interesting mathematical details. 2/10
75. The Book of the Dead by Preston and Child
Final part of a mini-series, definitely the strongest. 8/10
November

76. An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa, 1942-1943, Volume One of the Liberation Trilogy (World War II Liberation Trilogy #1) by Rick Atkinson
Description of the early phases of the involvement of the US army in the liberation of Europe. Detailed, well researched and well written. 7/10
77. The Whole Fromage: Adventures in the Delectable World of French Cheese by Kathe Lison
About the best food and tradition. But little to be surprised about found in this book. 7/10
78. The Journeys of Socrates by Dan Millman
Not at al; what I thought it would be. Should have read the blurb. But, to my own surprize I did enjoy reading it. 7/10
79. The Wheel of Darkness by Preston and Child
First book of a second mini-series. Interesting setting, but the rest of the story seemed repetitive. I hope they are setting up for a good ending, as in the first mini-series. 6/10
December

80. Easy-To-Build Bird Feeders by Mary Twitchell
Looked through for a project with my son. Useful, short and to the point with clear instructions. 7/10
81. Gardening in Clay Soil by Sara Pitzer
Picked up at the same time as #80. Identical evaluation. 7/10
82. What a Wonderful World: One Man's Attempt to Explain the Big Stuff by Marcus Chown
He didn't succeed in his attempt. 5/10
83. Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman
Nah. If it wouldn't have been so short i would not have finished it. 3/10
84. A Million Little Bricks: The Unofficial Illustrated History of the Lego Phenomenon by Sarah Herman
The title says it all. A bit wordy, but a very entertaining read with lots of trivial facts thrown in. 8/10
85. The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence by Carl Sagan
This book was published over 30 years ago, and much progress has been made in brain research during the last decades. All the more amazing that Sagan book about human intelligence remains spot on in many instances. Not sure if I would recommend it for others to read, but I tremendously enjoyed it. 8/10
86. Adventures Among Ants: A Global Safari with a Cast of Trillions by Mark W. Moffett
At the very end of the year, a highlight. Moffet writes about the research he does on ant societies. Beautiful photography (after five download attempts), well written and for me highly interesting. 9/10

Last edited by Soldim; 01-06-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #63
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
My goal for 2013 is to read 35 books. I set a goal of 40 last year which I didn't accomplish. I hope to read some more classic lit and nonfiction this year. I read a lot of "chick" lit.

Below is the list of books I have read so far. Here's a link to the list on on Goodreads. If you hover over the cover images, you can see how I rated each book.

January
The Chocolate Kiss By Laura Florand

February
Grace Grows by Shelle Sumners
Arranged by Catherine McKenzie
Purification of the Heart: Signs, Symptoms and Cures of the Spiritual Diseases of the Heart (currently reading) by Hamza Yusuf

Last edited by faithbw; 02-17-2013 at 09:37 AM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #64
lushgreenapple
lushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-bookslushgreenapple has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
50 Books This Year

My goal is to read 50 books this year. I have a PRS T1 which I am selling to buy a Paperwhite. I am praying fervently that I get a defect free device. I enjoy reading satire, classics, bit of chicklit.

Read

1. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
A truly heart breaking story that lifts your spirit. 5/5

2. Where'd you go Bernadette by Marie Semple
A tongue in cheek satire on Seattle nose in air types. Lots of LOL moments. 5/5

3. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
This book is wonderful, the best I have read this year. The words in this book will stay with me forever. 5/5

Currently reading

1. The Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth
lushgreenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #65
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Joining the thread a bit late, but...

I've set two goals for the year, and am close to finishing the first while keeping pace with the second.

Goal 1a: Read and review at least 12 books that have been on my TBR stack for at least a year. The challenge allowed three alternates, for a total of 15 on the list.

Goal 1b: Read the "shadow list" of 14 more books that are sequels to the above list. (I don't have a handy Goodreads link for these.)

Goal 2: Read at least 150 books in calendar year 2013. The number's a little inflated due to graphic novels and short story "books" being in my stack, but the average page count shouldn't suffer much. Basically, if it's one EPUB or one set of covers, it's one book because Goodreads counts it that way. I don't have a formal list for this goal, because I prefer to read what I happen to be in the mood for at the time. However, my total to-read stack is right here; once I buy a book, it goes on that list.

Progress so far: 10/15, 7/14, and 24/150. That still puts me a book or two "down" for the year to date, but I'll make it up.

I'm also trying to limit my purchase of new dead-tree books, as ebooks are really handy. Amazon's kindly decided to "help" by canceling their long-running 4-for-3 MMPB deal. I'm also trying not to buy into new series, primarily for those physical-space reasons, but I've been relaxing that in the ebook realm when I find good deals. After all, ebooks don't take up space, and migrating dead-tree to electrons actually helps with the space problem. Also, if something goes horribly wrong and I can't afford to buy anything for a while, I'm set through about 2016...

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 03-03-2013 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Added Goodreads links.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #66
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
1) Midnight awakening- Lara Adrian
2) Star Trek the next generation: Silent weapons- Cold Equations #2-David Mack
3) Little Gypsy-Roxy Freeman
4) Star trek the next generation: The Body Electric- Cold equations #3- David Mack
5) The colour purple- Alice Walker
6) Bloodline - Mark Billingham
7) Dirty Girls on top- Alisa Valdes Rodriguez
8) Lauren's Saint's of dirty faith - Alisa Valdes Rodriguez
9) And the mountains echoed - Khaled Hosseini
10) Midnight Rising - Lara Adrian
11) Veil of Midnight- Lara Adrian
12) Ashes of midnight-Lara Adrian
13) Busted-Karin Slaughter
14) Unseen-Karin Slaughter
15) Crazy Rich Asians- Kevin Kwan
16) The Wheel of time:The Eye of the world- Robert Jordan
17) Shades of midnight-Lara Adrian
18) Taken by midnight-Lara Adrian
19) I am Malala -Malala Yousafzai
20) The valley of amazement -Amy Tan
21) Star Trek typhon pact: Rough beasts of empire - David R George III
22) Star Trek typhon pact: paths of disharmony- Dayton Ward
23) Star Trek typhon pact: the struggle within - Christopher Bennett
24) Star Trek Typhon pact: Plagues of night- David R George III
25) Star Trek Typhon pact: Raise the dawn- David R George III

Comics:

1) Star Trek: Countdown to darkness #1
2)Star Trek: Countdown to darkness #2
3) Star Trek: Countdown to darkness #3
4) Star Trek: Countdown to darkness #4
5) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #1
6) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #2
7) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #3
8) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #4
9) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #5
10) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #6
11) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #7
12) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #8
13) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #9
14) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #10
15) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 # 11
16) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #12
17) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #13
18) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #14
19) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #15
20) Buffy the vampire slayer season 8 #16
1) Star Trek Ongoing #1
2) Star Trek Ongoing #2
3) Star Trek Ongoing #3
4) Star Trek Ongoing #4
5) Star Trek ongoing #5
6) Star Trek Ongoing #6
7) Star Trek Ongoing #7
8) Star Trek Ongoing #8
9) Star Trek Ongoing #9
10 Star Trek Ongoing #10
11) Star Trek Ongoing #11
12) Star Trek Ongoing #12
13) Star Trek Ongoing #13
14) Star Trek Ongoing #14
15) Star Trek Ongoing #15
16) Star Trek Ongoing #16
17) Star Trek Ongoing #17
18) Star Trek Ongoing #18
19) Star Trek Ongoing #19
20) Star Trek Ongoing #20
21) Star Trek Ongoing #21
22) Star Trek Ongoing #22
23) Star Trek ongoing #23
24) Star Trek ongoing: #24
25) Star Trek ongoing:#25
26) Star Trek ongoing:#26
27) Star Trek ongoing :#27

Last edited by shanghaichica; 12-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #67
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Joining very late!
My goal is to read 52 books this year and keep a list of them. So far I've managed:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
Daddy's Little Killer by L. S. Sygnet
The Fast Diet by Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer
Fifty Shades of Gray by E. L. James
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
Alex Cross, Run by James Patterson
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Anybody Out There? by Marian Keyes (audiobook)
Harts At Sea, Sailing to Windward by Barbara Hart
The Iliad by Homer, translated by Samuel Butler
The Gift by Cecelia Aherne
The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt
Fifty Shades Darker by E. L. James
Beneath The Cracks by L S Sygnet
A Day at the Office by Jane Oldaker (short story)
Defending Jacob by William Landay
Gulp by Mary Roach
Fanny and Stella: The Young Men Who Shocked Victorian England*by Neil McKenna
The Mystery of Mercy Close by Marian Keyes (audiobook)
Mr Penunmbra's 24 hour Book Store by Robin Sloan
Mum, Can You Lend Me Twenty Quid by Elizabeth Burton-Phillips
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hussein
How To Be Good by Nick Hornby
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
The Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling
The Kafenion by Victoria Hislop
Escape From Camp 14 by Blaine Harden
Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
The Find by Greg Bell (abandoned)
Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
Queen Victoria by Lytton Strachey
Dr. Izard*by Anna Katharine Green
The Secret River by Kate Grenville
Forgotten Place by L S Sygnet
Wedding Season by Katie Fforde
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas*

And four paperbacks, that I've forgotten the titles of, before I bought my Kobo!

Last edited by Stephjk; 12-06-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #68
oGorgeous
Nameless Being

GoodReads doesn't handle their reading challenge as well as I'd like it to, so I've signed up in order to participate in this reading challenge. I'm a much slower reader than many of you, by the looks of things, but nonetheless, my goals are:
  • Read 25 books.
  • Read 150 comic book issues.

BOOKS:

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy by Douglas Adams

2. Storm Front by Jim Butcher

3. The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien

4. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

5. The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

6. Jack Of Diamonds by Bryce Courtenay

7. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

8. A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin [re-read]

9. Fight Club by Chuck Palahnuik - currently reading

COMICS:

1. The Walking Dead, issue #1 by Robert Kirkman

2. The Walking Dead, issue #2 by Robert Kirkman

3. The Walking Dead, issue #3 by Robert Kirkman

4. The Walking Dead, issue #4 by Robert Kirkman

Last edited by oGorgeous; 05-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #69
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Goal: Read 18.250 pages in 2013.

For people who want to know how I got to this goal, read the spoiler

Spoiler:

This year, I've decided to set a goal. I don't like to use "Books per year", as my books range from 250 page fantasy stuff up to tomes like Lord of the Rings, Shogun, or IT. Therefore I've decided to use "Pages per year", like the following.

- The average p-book paperback in my book case has 2400 characters per page.
- I've used "Count Pages" in Calibre, and set it to 2400 characters/page.
- Then I've added all pages of all books I've read so far (6.641, May 13th, 2013)
- Then I've divided this by the number of days since the beginning of 2013 (132)

The result is 50.31 pages per day. This is quite correct: when setting Count Pages to 2400 characters/page, I read about 25 pages an hour, and I read mostly in public transport, which is around 2 hours per day for me. I also read +/- 2 hours per day in the weekend.

Therefore, I have set a goal of 365 x 50 = 18.250 pages for 2013.

At the beginning of this year, I already set the goal to re-read all of my paper books as an e-book. (In time, not all in 2013.) That's why there will be quite a lot of "I thought every reader would have read that stuff years ago"-books in the list, alongside some new ones

Series:
Brooks, Terry - Paladins of Shannara [1] - Allanon's Quest - 36 pages
Brooks, Terry - Paladins of Shannara [3] - The Black Irix - 41 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Original Shannara Trilogy [1] - The Sword of Shannara - 604 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Original Shannara Trilogy [2] - The Elfstones of Shannara - 537 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Original Shannara Trilogy [3] - The Wishsong of Shannara - 502 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [1] - The Scions of Shannara - 423 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [2] - The Druid of Shannara - 389 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [3] - The Elf Queen of Shannara - 373 pages
Brooks, Terry - The Heritage of Shannara [4] - The Talismans of Shannara - 419 pages
Eddings, David - The Elenium [1] - The Diamond Throne - 370 pages
Eddings, David - The Elenium [2] - The Ruby Knight - 349 pages
Eddings, David - The Elenium [3] - The Sapphire Rose - 499 pages
Eddings, David - The Tamuli [1] - Domes of Fire - 458 pages
Eddings, David - The Tamuli [2] - The Shining Ones - 470 pages
Eddings, David - The Tamuli [3] - The Hidden City - 465 pages
Salvatore, R.A. - The Legend of Drizzt [1] - Homeland - 280 pages
Salvatore, R.A. - The Legend of Drizzt [2] - Exile - 268 pages
Salvatore, R.A. - The Legend of Drizzt [3] - Sojourn - 274 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - Lord of the Rings [1] - The Fellowship of the Ring - 490 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - Lord of the Rings [2] - The Two Towers - 387 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - Lord of the Rings [3] - The Return of the King 622 pages

Separate books:
Brooks, Terry - First King of Shannara - 478 pages
Clavell, James - Shogun - 1.170 pages
Dickens, Charles - A Christmas Carol - 86 pages
Doyle, Sir Arthur Conan - The Disintegration Machine - 20 pages
Ende, Michael - The Neverending Story - 313 pages
King, Stephen - IT - 1.169 pages
King, Stephen - Night Shift - 334 pages
King, Stephen - Pet Sematary - 391 pages
Sewell, Anna - Black Beauty - 166 pages
Tolkien, J.R.R. - The Hobbit - 247 pages

Total Read: 12.630 of 18.250 pages.
Total books: 31 (Including short stories.)

Currently Reading: None. Challenge Finished.
Result: FAILED

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-02-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #70
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Goal: read 110 books.

January. 12 books.
1. Justine Larbalestier & Sarah Brennan - Team Human. 3/5.
2. Kat Zhang - What's left of me. 4.5/5.
3. Cassandra Clare - City of Glass. 3/5.
4. Cameron Dokey - The world above. 4/5.
5. Suzanne Weyn - Water song. 2.5/5.
6. Emma Newman - Between two thorns. 3/5.
7. Brodi Ashton - Everneath. 5/5.
8. Lee Caroll - Black swan rising. 3/5.
9. Rae Carson - The shadow cats. 5/5.
10. Anna Carey - Eve. 3/5.
11. Philip Pullman - Fairy Tales from the Brothers Grimm. 4/5.
12. Cameron Jace - The Grimm's Dairies prequel 1 - 6. 2.5/5.

February. 13 books.
13. Robin LaFever - Grave Mercy. 5+/5.
14. Elizabeth C. Bunce - A tale dark as gold. 1/5.
15. Courtney Summers - This is not a test. 4.5/5.
16. Ginger Garrett - In the shadow of Lions.3/5.
17. Kathleen Peacock - Hemlock. 3.5/5.
18. Cameron Dokey - Winter's child. 3.5/5.
19. Cynthia Hand - Unearthly. 4/5.
20. Gail Carriger - Soulless. 5/5.
21. Cynthia Hand - Hallowed. 4/5.
22. Marissa Meyer - Scarlet. 5+/5.
23. Bella Forrest - A shade of vampire. 3/5.
24. Anna Carey - Once. 3.5/5.
25. Kagawa, Aguirre & Duvall - 'Til the world ends. 2/5.
26. Cynthia Hand - Boundless. 2.5/5.

March. 10 books.
27. A.G Howard - Splintered. 4/5.
28. Leigh Bardugo - Shadow and bone. 5/5.
29. Sarah Zetel - Dust Girl. 4/5.
30. Tia Nevitt - The magic mirror and the seventh dwarf. 4/5.
31. Debbie Viguié - Scarlet Moon 2/5.
32. Tia Nevitt - The Sevenfold spell. 2/5.
33. Francesca Lia Block - The rose and the beast. 1/5.
34. Melanie Dickerson - The fairest beauty. 4/5.
35. Dan Wells - Partials. 4/5.
36. Maureen McGowan - Cinderella: Ninja Warrior. 2.5/5.

April. 8 books.
37. John Green - The fault in our stars. 5+/5.
38. Melissa Marr - Faery tales & Nightmares. 3/5.
39. Patrick Carr - The cast of stones. 4/5.
40. J.M Barrie - Peter Pan. 3/5.
41. Alex Flinn - Towering. 3/5.
42. Kate Danley - The woodcutter. 4/5.
43. Emily McKay - The Farm. 3.5/5.
44. Jessica Day George - Sun and Moon, Snow and Ice. 4/5.

May. 13 books.
45. Kiersten White - Endlessly. 3/5.
46. Debra Driza - Mila 2.0. 2/5.
47. Dan Wells - Fragments. 2.5/5.
48. Brodi Ashton - Everbound. 4/5.
49. Rae Carson - The crown of Embers. 5+/5.
50. Cameron Dokey - The storyteller's daughter. 3/5.
51. Bridget Zinn - Poison. 5/5.
52. Marie Lu - Legend. 4.5/5.
53. Katherine Longshore - Gilt. 3/5.
54. Justin Cronin - The Passage. 3.5/5.
55. Nancy Holder - The Rose bride. 2.5/5.
56. Julie Kagawa - The eternity cure. 4.5/5.
57. E.D Baker - The wide-awake princess. 4.5/5.

June. 12 books.
58. Laini Taylor - Daughter of smoke and bone. 4.5/5.
59. Liz Coley - Pretty girl thirteen. 4.5/5.
60. Maria Snyder - Poison study. 4.5/5.
61. Laura Andersen - The Boleyn king. 2.5/5.
62. Amy Tintera - Reboot. 4/5.
63. Barbara Kyle - Blood between queens. 2/5.
64. Cassandra Rose Clarke - The assassin's curse. 3.5/5.
65. Adam Gidwitz - In a glass Grimmly. 3.5/5.
66. Jennifer L. Armentrout - Obsidian. 3/5.
67. Juliet Marillier - Wildwood dancing. 5+/5.
68. Megan Shepherd - The madman's daughter. 3.5/5.
69. Jane Nickerson - Strands of bronze and gold. 3/5.

July. 19 books.
70. Kiersten White - The chaos of the stars. 3/5.
71. Anna Carey - Rise. 2/5.
72. Emily Murdoch - If you find me.
73. Marie Lu - Prodigy.
74. C.J Redwine - Defiance.
75. Juliet Marillier - Heart's blood.
76. Soman Chainani - The school for good and evil.
77. Gail Carriger - Changeless.
78. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin and the pirate lord.
79. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin and the desert.
80. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin and the underworld.
81. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin and the empire.
82. Maria Snyder - Magic study.
83. Maria Snyder - Assassin study.
84. Maria Snyder - Power study.
85. Maria Snyder - Ice study.
86. Gail Carriger - Blameless.
87. Jenni James - Beauty and the beast.
88. Jenni James - Sleeping beauty.
89. Mira Grant - Parasite.

August.
90. Cassandra Rose Clark - The pirate's wish.
91. Michelle Diener - In defense of the queen.
92. George R.R Martin - Game of thrones. 4.5/5.
93. Cassandra Rose Clarke - The automaton's treasure. 2/5.
94. Jenni James - Hansel & Gretel.
95. Amy Plum - If I should die. 2/5.
96. Leigh Bardugo - Siege and Storm. 5+/5.
97. Nancy Holder - Spirited. 1/5.
98. Michael Grant & Katherine Applegate - Eve & Adam. 2/5.
99. Lisa M. Basso - A shimmer of Angel. 3/5.

September.
100. Robin LaFevers - Dark Triumph. 5+/5.
101. Suzanne Weyn - The diamond secret. 2/5.
102. Liesl Shurtliff - Rump. 3.5/5.
103. Lauren Oliver - Pandemonium. 2/5.
104. Lauren Oliver - Requiem. 1/5.
105. Sarah J. Maas - Throne of glass. 5+/5. Re-read.
106. Jessica Day George - Princess of the silver woods. 4/5.
107. Lauren DeStefano - Fever. 4/5.

October.
108. Sarah J. Maas - Crown of midnight. 5+/5.
109. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin and the captain. Novella.
110. Sarah J. Maas - The assassin and the princess. Novella.
111. Eric Shanower - The wonderful wizard of Oz. 5/5.
112. Andrew Lang - The red fairy book 3/5.
113. A book I've beta-read. Can't announce it yet
114. Julie Kagawa - The iron traitor. 3/5.
115. Bree Despain - The shadow prince. 4/5.
116. Leigh Bardugo - Witch of Duva. 5/5. Novella.
117. Leigh Bardugo - The tailor. 4/5. Novella.
118. Leigh Bradugo - The too-clever fox. 5/5. Novella.
119. Paula LGluran - Once upon a time: new fairy tales. Anthology. 2/5.
120. Marissa Meyer - Cress. 5+/5.
121. Marissa Meyer - The queen's army. 4/5.
122. Robin Bridges - The gathering storm. 2/5.

November.

December.

Last edited by Mel-; 10-21-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:37 AM   #71
alen mcgra
alen mcgra began at the beginning.

Device: m.facebook
The fault in our stars by John Green
15) 28-03-2013 - Lola and the Boy next door by Stephanie Perkins
16) 02-04-2013 - The night circus by Erin Morgenstern
17) 06-04-2013 - Cinder (Lunar Chronicles 1) by Marissa Meyer
18) 08-04-2013 - The Selection (The selection 1) by Kiera Cass
alen mcgra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #72
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
The "to-read" list for the rest of 2013

I'm just playing catchup. I seem to get involved only when I deploy.

The Reading List:

01. Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
02. Pebble in the Sky by Isaac Asimov
03. Dune Chapterhouse by Frank Herbert
04. Foundation's Fear (The 2nd Foundation Trilogy Book 1) by Gregory Benford
05. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
06. Prince Caspain: The Return to Narnia by C.S. Lewis
07. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis
08. The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis
09. The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
10. The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
11. The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
12. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
13. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
14. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
15. Guardians of the West (Malloreon Book 1) by David Eddings
16. King of the Murgos (Malloreon Book 2) (53%) by David Eddings
17. Demon Lord of Karanda (Malloreon Book 3) by David Eddings
18. Sorceress of Darshiva (Malloreon Book 4) by David Eddings
19. The Seeress of Kell (Malloreon Book 5) by David Eddings
20. Foundation and Chaos (The 2nd Foundation Trilogy Book 2) by Greg Bear
21. Foundation's Triumph (The 2nd Foundation Trilogy Book 3) by David Brin
22. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis

23. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke<reading again just cause>
24. 2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke <reading again just cause>

25. 2061: Odyssey Three by Arthur C. Clarke
26. 3001: The Final Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
27. A Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy (Page 6)
28. The Love Dare

Last edited by rpmazur; 12-13-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: updated list
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #73
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Finding my reading groove again: 12 books by the end of the year

I was scanning through this thread and thought it such a good idea...thinking, "hey I'll join in next year". Then I saw another late comer, rpmazur, and thought maybe it's not to late for this year.

Back in July (ish) I decided to start reading again for fun. My goal for the remainder of 2013 was to start and finish a mere 12 books - 2 books a month for someone this rusty shouldn't be a problem.....right?! Here's hoping I can stick to and beat my goal to a pulp, especially considering my addiction to buying and freebie ebooks. Audiobooks count too right (I probably shouldn't list those read for a class though)

These first few are not in chronological order.
  • Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • Almost Perfect (Fool’s Gold #2) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • Sister of the Bride (Fool's Gold, #2.5) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • Finding Perfect (Fool's Gold, #3) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • Only Mine (Fool's Gold, #4) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • Trace (Kay Scarpetta, #13) by Patricia Cornwell (a)
  • Predator (Kay Scarpetta, #14) by Patricia Cornwell (a)
  • Book of the Dead (Kay Scarpetta, #15) by Patricia Cornwell (a)
  • Scarpetta (Kay Scarpetta, #16) by Patricia Cornwell (a)
  • The Gestalt Man by Anthony E. Cardenas [M.R. Author:aecardenas] (e)
  • Necromancer by Pamela Richter [M.R. Author: PamelaMary] (a/e)
  • Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (a)
  • * The Scarpetta Factor (Kay Scarpetta #17) by Patricia Cornwell (a)
  • Kill Me Twice (Bullet Catcher #1) by Roxanne St. Claire (e)
  • Only Yours (Fool's Gold #5) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • * Morgue Drawer Four by Jutta Profijt [Erik J. Macki (Translator)] (e)
  • * Sleep No More by Susan Crandall (e)
  • The Basement by Stephen Leather (e)
  • ^ Only His (Fool's Gold #6) by Susan Mallery (e)
  • ^ Seeing Red by Susan Crandall (e)

* Currently reading/listening
^ TBR

Yay....met personal challenge on Oct 18th ....here's to seeing how far I can go beyond!

Last edited by gabby98; 12-23-2013 at 11:24 AM.
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #74
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
My goal for 2013 is 150 books or 50,000 pages. Reaching either goal means *success*. Like Katsunami, the number of pages per book varies by a *lot*, so having goals for both the number of books and the number of pages works for me. 150 books is a bit of a stretch for me, and right now at the end of September, I'm a bit off the pace to reach it. I've completed 108 books and 9/12 of 150 is 112.5.

January
1. Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card
2. Vampire Mine by Kerrelyn Sparks
3. Sucker Bet by Erin McCarthy
4. I Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan Bradley
5. Singer of Souls by Adam Stemple
6. Blame It On the Mistletoe by Joyce Magnin
7. The Book of Love by Kathleen McGowan
8. Abducted by T R Ragan
9. Almost Amish by Kathryn Cushman
10. The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers
11. Dial C for Chihuahua by Waverly Curtis
12. Vicious Circle by Linda Robertson

-- 12 books, 4409 pages

February
1. Hallowed Circle by Linda Robertson
2. Fatal Circle by Linda Robertson
3. Going Organic Can Kill You by Staci McLaughlin
4. A Vile Justice by Lauren Haney
5. The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds by Alexander McCall Smith
6. If Walls Could Talk by Juliet Blackwell
7. Dead Bolt by Juliet Blackwell
8. Death of a Lovable Geek by Maria Hudgins
9. Tithe by Holly Black

-- 9 books, 3834 pages (21 books, 7243 pages)

March
1. How to Slay a Dragon by Bill Allen
2. The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
3. The Tale of Briar Bank by Susan Wittig Albert
4. After Dark by Jayne Castle
5. Rainwater by Sandra Brown
6. Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich
7. Griselda Takes Flight by Joyce Magnin
8. The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells
9. The Bishop in the Old Neighborhood by Andrew Greeley
10. Murphy's Law by Rhys Bowen
11. Death of Riley by Rhys Bowen
12. The Tale of Applebeck Orchard by Susan Wittig Albert
13. Irish Crystal by Andrew Greeley
14. The Mysterious Edge of the Heroic World by E L Konigsburg
15. For the Love of Mike by Rhys Bowen
16. Speaking From Among the Bones by Alan Bradley
17. Like Flynn by Rhys Bowen

-- 17 books, 5119 pages (38 books, 12,362 pages)

April
1. The Serpent Sea by Martha Wells
2. Irish Cream by Andrew Greeley
3. The Bishop at the Lake by Andrew Greeley
4. The Archbishop in Andalusia by Andrew Greeley
5. Arcane Circle by Linda Robertson
6. Kitty Goes to Washington by Carrie Vaughn
7. The Siren Depths by Martha Wells
8. Delete All Suspects by Donna Andrews
9. Be Still My Vampire Heart by Kerrelyn Sparks
10. All I Want for Christmas is a Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks
11. A Bicycle Built for Murder by Kate Kingsbury
12. A Week in Winter by Maeve Binchy
13. Oh Danny Boy by Rhys Bowen

-- 13 books, 4262 pages (51 books, 16,324 pages)

May
1. New Mercies by Sandra Dallas
2. Death on the Aegean Queen by Maria Hudgins
3. S is for Silence by Sue Grafton
4. The Calling of Emily Evans Janette Oke
5. The Tale of Oat Cake Crag by Susan Wittig Albert
6. Zero Day by David Baldacci
7. T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton
8. Agatha H and the Airship City by Phil & Kaja Foglio
9. Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn
10. Death of a Gossip by M C Beaton

-- 10 books, 3006 pages (61 books, 19,340 pages)

June
1. Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger
2. Kitty and the Silver Bullet by Carrie Vaughn
3. Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand by Carrie Vaughn
4. Murder in C Major by Sara Hoskinson Frommer
5. A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber
6. Die Trying by Lee Child
7. The Wretched of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler
8. The Fellowship of the HAND by Edward Hoch
9. Kitty Raises Hell by Carrie Vaughn
10. Her Royal Spyness by Rhys Bowen
11. Irish Linen by Andrew Greeley
12. Under the Dome by Stephen King

-- 12 books, 4770 pages (73 books, 24,110 pages)

July
1. A Curse of Silence by Lauren Haney
2. Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris
3. The Tale of Castle Cottage by Susan Wittig Albert
4. Nightingale's Lament by Simon R Green
5. The Poet Prince by Kathleen McGowan
6. Tripwire by Lee Child
7. Irish Tiger by Andrew Greeley
8. In Dublin's Fair City by Rhys Bowen
9. Irish Tweed by Andrew Greeley
10. Murder for Choir by Joelle Charbonneau
11. Tell Me, Pretty Maiden by Rhys Bowen
12. Dead Girls Are Easy by Terri Garey
13. A Rage in the Heavens by James Hillebrecht
14. Fire Season by David Weber and Jane Lindskold

-- 14 books, 4745 pages (87 books, 28,855 pages)

August
1. A Place of Darkness by Lauren Haney
2. Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear
3. Three Sisters by James D Doss
4. Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris
5. A Cruel Deceit by Lauren Haney
6. Forest Born by Shannon Hale
7. Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
8. Little Fuzzy by H Beam Piper
9. Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison

-- 9 books, 3127 pages (96 books, 31,982 pages)

September
1. Flesh of the God by Lauren Haney
2. A Killer Read by Erika Chase
3. Ghost in Trouble by Carolyn Hart
4. Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds by Nancy Martin
5. All Natural Murder by Staci McLaughlin
6. Kitty's House of Horrors by Carrie Vaughn
7. Kitty Goes to War by Carrie Vaughn
8. Pale Demon by Kim Harrison
9. A Path of Shadows by Lauren Haney
10. Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnson
11. Death of a Second Wife by Maria Hudgins
12. Earth Afire by Orson Scott Card and Aaron Johnson

-- 12 books, 4043 pages (108 books, 36,115 pages)

October
1. Cursor's Fury by Jim Butcher
2. Tumbling Blocks by Earlene Fowler
3. 50% Off Murder by Josie Belle
4. Perdition by Ann Aguirre
5. Room by Emma Donoghue
6. Dirty Trouble by J M Griffin
7. Dead Wrong by J M Griffin
8. Treecat Wars by David Weber & Jane Lindskold
9. Sliding Void Trilogy by Stephen Hunt
10. First Shift: Legacy by Hugh Howey
11. Fatal Error by J A Jance
12. Death of a Cad by M C Beaton

Last edited by Hampshire Nanny; 10-20-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #75
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Read so far

1. Salamander - Nick Kyme
2. Firedrake - Nick Kyme
3. Nocturne - Nick Kyme
4. Reiksguard - Richard Williams
5. Conqueror - Conn Iggulden
6. Marius' Mules: Gallia Invicta - S.J.A. Turney
7. Marius' Mules: Conspiracy of Eagles - S.J.A. Turney
8. The Cry of the Newborn - Ascendants of Estorea Book 1; James Barclay
9. Warrior Priest - Darius Hinks
10. The Ten Thousand - Paul Kearney
11. Corvus - Paul Kearney
12. Kings of the Morning - Paul Kearney
13. Without Fail - Lee Child
14. Cursor's Fury - Jim Butcher
15. Captain's Fury - Jim Butcher
16. Princeps' Fury - Jim Butcher
17. First Lord's Fury - Jim Butcher
18. Sword of Vengeance - Chris Wraight
19. Sword of Justice - Chris Wraight
20. The Crown of the Blood - Gav Thorpe
21. The Crown of the Conqueror - Gav Thorpe
22. First and Only - Dan Abnett
23. Ghostmaker - Dan Abnett
24. Necropolis - Dan Abnett
25. Honour Guard - Dan Abnett
26. The Guns of Tanith - Dan Abnett
27. Straight Silver - Dan Abnett
28. Sabbatt Martyr - Dan Abnett
29. Traitor General - Dan Abnett
30. His Last Command - Dan Abnett
31. The Armour of Contempt - Dan Abnett
32. Only in Death - Dan Abnett
33. Hawkwood and the Kings - Paul Kearney
34. The Gunslinger - Stephen King
35. The Drawing of the Three - Stephen King
36. The Wastelands - Stephen King
37. Nightbringer - Graham Mcneill
38. Warriors of Ultramar - Graham Mcneill
39. Dead Sky, Black Sun - Graham Mcneill
40. The Killing Ground - Graham Mcneill
41. Courage and Honour - Graham Mcneill
42. The Chapter's Due - Graham Mcneill
43. False God of Rome - Robert Fabbri
44. Heldenhammer - Graham Mcneill
45. The Purging of Kadillus - Gav Thorpe
46. The Battle of the Fang - Chris Wraight
47. Blood of Asaheim - Chris Wraight
48. Soul Hunter - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
49. Blood Reaver - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
50. Void Stalker - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
51. Deus Encarmine - James Swallow
52. Deus Sanguinius - James Swallow
53. Red Fury - James Swallow
54. Black Tide - James Swallow
55. Rynn's World - Steve Parker
56. Path of the Warrior - Gav Thorpe
57. Mechanicum - Graham Mcneill
58. Wolfblade - Jennifer Fallon
59. Warrior - Jennifer Fallon
60. Warlord - Jennifer Fallon
61. The Heir of Night - Helen Lowe
62. London Fallen - Paul Cornell
63. Death's Angles - William King
64. Child of Vengeance - David Kirk
65. Fire Ice - Clive Cussler
66. Legionary - Gordon Doherty
67. Nemesis - Jo Nesbo
68. Blood Song: Raven's Shadow Book 1 - Anthony Ryan
69. 1945 - Robert Conroy
70. Master of War: The Blooding - David Gilman
71. I, Alex Cross - James Patterson
72. Sworn Sword - James Aitcheson
73. The Alchemist's Secret - Scott Mariani
74. The Mozart Conspiracy - Scott Mariani
75. Marius' Mules - Hades' Gate
76. A Shadow of all Night Falling - Glen Cook
77. Holy Warrior - Angus Donald
78. King's Man - Angus Donald
79. Warlord - Angus Donald
80. Spartacus: The Gladiator - Ben Kane
81. Spartacus: Rebellion - Ben Kane
82. The Siege - Nick Brown
83. Standard Bearer - Richard Foreman
84. Rome: The Emperor's Spy - M.C. Scott
85. Fifteen Hours - Mitchell Scanlon
86. Sword and Scimitar - Simon Scarrow
87. Taming Poison Dragons; Tim Murgatroyd
88. The Ruins of Gorlan: Ranger's Apprentice Book 1 - John Flanagan
89. Hannibal: Fields of Blood - Ben Kane
90. the Doomsday Prophecy - Scott Mariani
91. The Heretic's Treasure - Scott Mariani
92. The Shadow Project - Scott Mariani
93. Roman: The Fall of Britannia - Kevin Ashman
94. The Scarlet Thief - Paul Fraser Collard
95. Stand-To: Armageddon's Song Book 1 - Andy Farman
96. The Emperor's Gift - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
97. Luthor Huss - Chris Wraight
98. Rising Sun - Robert Conroy
99. Along Came a Spider - James Patterson
100. Homeland: The Legend of Drizzt Book 1 - R.A. Salvatore
101. The Chronicles of the Black Company: The Black Company - Glen Cook
102. Space Wolf - William King
103. Malekith - Gav Thorpe
104. First Strike: Halo 3 - Eric S. Nylund
105. The Lost Relic - Scott Mariani
106. The Burning Bridge - John Flanagan
107. Ice Station - Matthew Reilly
108. Three - Jay Posey
109. Rebel Winter - Steve Parker
110. The Sacred Sword - Scott Mariani
111. The Armada Legacy - Scott Mariani
112. The Adamantine Palace - Stephen Deas
113. Ragnar's Claw - William King
114. Exile - R.A. Salvatore
115. Sojourn - R.A. Salvatore
116. Anarchy - Stuart Binns
117. Seventh Retribution - Ben Counter
118. Grey Hunter - William King
119. The Bleeding Chalice - Ben Counter
120. Crimson Tears - Ben Counter
121. Kiss the Girls - James Patterson
122. Cadian Blood - Aaron Dembski-Bowden
123. Crown of the Usurper - Gav Thorpe
124. Commissar - Andy Hoare
125. Tales of Heresy - Edited by Nick Kyme and Lindsey Priestly
126. Fallen Angels - Mike Lee
127. The Sword of the Templars - Paul Christopher
128. Deathwatch - Steve Parker
129. The Black Prism - Brent Weeks
130. Absolute Power - David Baldacci
131. The Camel Club - David Baldacci
132. Sandstorm - James Rollins
133. A Thousand Sons - Graham Mcneill
134. Map of Bones - James Rollins
135. The Maharajah's General - Paul Fraser Collard
I have officially completed my Goodreads challenge.

Last edited by Waylander; 12-28-2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Spelling, added books
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote