Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Now, onto something useful and constructive.

I may have solved this issue, but it would at the very least require rooting.

The answer is the mini opera browser. Under the settings, one can set it to reflow text and to set the view to single column. This works very well on an android phone. It has its limits, but mainly text based web pages are very readable.

Obviously, it will require a route. Does anyone know if opera mini will run on the T1 / T2?

I would create a new thread, with a more useful title, but hopefully any user looking for this basic functionality will use keyword search for text reflow or re-flow.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #17
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did a search and found mixed results:

http://t1-reader.ru/en/articles/inst...lications.html
Suggests opera mini won't work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2315684
Suggest it will.

But the latter link is for the T2, the former for T1. Only one way to find out...I have to admit I haven't even rooted the T1 yet. I'm still using my 650!
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #18
JoelH
Enthusiast
JoelH began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Did a search and found mixed results:

http://t1-reader.ru/en/articles/inst...lications.html
Suggests opera mini won't work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2315684
Suggest it will.

But the latter link is for the T2, the former for T1. Only one way to find out...I have to admit I haven't even rooted the T1 yet. I'm still using my 650!
Yes, i tryed it on my rooted T2, installed via Market.
No problem...
But the built in browser has paginated pageturns and that is important to me...
Scrolling is a pain, constant flashing of the screen.
JoelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
I would highly recommend that you and the other posters on this thread who have nothing useful to contribute not post.

Do you complain that car manufacturers sell you something that doesn't fly you to Florida too? I'm sorry but this makes no sense. It's an ereader with eink. It's not a tablet, laptop or anything like that. It is not meant to do those things people are requesting of it.

How you don't understand that is unfathomable to me.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Do you complain that car manufacturers sell you something that doesn't fly you to Florida too? I'm sorry but this makes no sense. It's an ereader with eink. It's not a tablet, laptop or anything like that. It is not meant to do those things people are requesting of it.

Agreed. Before I bought the PRS-T1, I watched video reviews of it and saw how the web browser worked. I knew what I was getting - something with minimal internet function that would at least allow me to access the public library.

If I wanted better internet capabilities, I would have bought a different device.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelH View Post
Yes, i tryed it on my rooted T2, installed via Market.
No problem...
But the built in browser has paginated pageturns and that is important to me...
Scrolling is a pain, constant flashing of the screen.
It is possible to remove the flashing but it hammers battery life.

I don't know what you mean by paginated pageturns.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post

Why not create a thread about it?

Last edited by Rizla; 12-29-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #23
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I would highly recommend returning the E-ink reader and buying a tablet.
I would highly recommend that you and the other posters on this thread who have nothing useful to contribute not post.
In the light of the OPs expectations for the T2 over the 650 I consider that very useful advice indeed. You can read on the 650 as well as on the T2, its the same screen after all.
As others have stated already, the browser experience on an e-ink device is ... somewhat lacking. So, use the 650 for reading and a tablet for browsing.

An axe isn't really designed to drive nails, although it can manage the job if needs be.
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote