Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #751
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke2002 View Post
so far, the one thing that I would definitely like to see is a way to sort by subject/tag.
I agree. So many sorting options in Marvin's Library now, but it's a curious omission that sorting by subjects/tags is currently not possible. Here is where Stanza shines, of course, as in all aspects of Library management -- very elegantly done there.

Maybe the ability to sort by subjects/tags will be added to Marvin when those desperately requested Library folders/shelves are added.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #752
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

Talking about the supposed dangers of OPDS catalogs:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...y-allegations/
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204581
http://www.moondownload.com

That's some crazy stuff, if something like that can happen overnight to the best e-reader on Android. Evokes some chilling memories of Stanza's fate. I must, therefore, say again I very much share Wulf's concern that precautions should be taken that nothing like this can ever happen to Marvin. Can you imagine waking up one day only to discover that Marvin is gone? Android users at least have their alternate markets to download Moon+ Reader from, but not everyone is willing to jailbreak their iOS device.

(In fact, something similar happened half a year ago to the Korean developer of what I find to be the finest video app on iOS: AVPlayerHD. Apple found something objectionable -- software/hardware-wise, apparently -- in a September release of the app, and it took around 3 months for the developer of AVPlayerHD to reinstate it in the App Store. Good luck to the Moon+ Reader developer to get this resolved as soon as possible.)
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #753
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
Yeah. I read about it a couple of days ago. Without going into the merits of the case (because I don't know any better), I feel sorry for the developer. He seems to put his heart and soul into it.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #754
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Russia is developing into a software superpower: GoodReader, PDF Expert, Moon+ Reader, FineReader, WinRAR and many others are Russian products. I'm surprised you're not Russian yourself, Kris. Это удивительно. At the same time, e-books piracy is all-pervasive in Russia -- you can get pretty much any Russian e-book you want, without paying for it. And it's hard to blame regular folks for it, with average incomes preventing them from buying e-books at standard prices.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #755
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the built in favourites in Marvin's OPDS browser is "ePubBooks.ru" (I got this from MobileRead's Wiki entry for OPDS). Anyone knows whether it is OK or risky? I'm assuming that since it has been on MR for a while, it is OK.
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #756
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Risky (at least potentially). I have used this Russian OPDS feed in Marvin, and it's great, a thousand times better, more professionally organized than, say, the Project Gutenberg or FeedBooks catalogs, but...

I mostly read copyright-free Russian classics like my beloved Tolstoy and Chekhov, so I'm no expert in this field, but the Moon+ Reader articles mention the writer Daria Dontsova (Дарья Донцова) as one of the allegedly injured parties in all this, and the OPDS catalog in Marvin does offer 2 of her books for download, so... I don't wish to ring any false alarms, but if you prefer to stay on the safe side, Kris, you might want to reconsider. After all, Marvin users can easily add any OPDS catalog links on their own -- it's not strictly necessary to preinstall them.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:49 AM   #757
maxjens
Connoisseur
maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxjens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad & Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Risky (at least potentially). I have used this Russian OPDS feed in Marvin, and it's great, a thousand times better, more professionally organized than, say, the Project Gutenberg or FeedBooks catalogs, but...

I mostly read copyright-free Russian classics like my beloved Tolstoy and Chekhov, so I'm no expert in this field, but the Moon+ Reader articles mention the writer Daria Dontsova (Дарья Донцова) as one of the allegedly injured parties in all this, and the OPDS catalog in Marvin does offer 2 of her books for download, so... I don't wish to ring any false alarms, but if you prefer to stay on the safe side, Kris, you might want to reconsider. After all, Marvin users can easily add any OPDS catalog links on their own -- it's not strictly necessary to preinstall them.

Good point, you can find free opds feeds here:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/OPDS..._OPDS_Catalogs
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #758
kguil
Addict

That is from where I picked some of the 'stock' OPDS favourites in Marvin.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #759
stwc
stwc began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Been actually using Marvin a bit more now, and I have another (hopefully small) feature request in addition to the page-turn animation plea: would be it possible to add a download queue for OPDS stuff?

One thing that was really nice, I thought, in Stanza, was that you could queue up any number of books (from your local Calibre server or whatever) rather than having to see the Downloading... UI every time. I don't use iTunes at all, so no bulk book-loading, and given the clunkiness of navigating catalogs (especially on slow servers), being able to queue up book downloads would be very nice indeed.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #760
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stwc View Post
Been actually using Marvin a bit more now, and I have another (hopefully small) feature request in addition to the page-turn animation plea: would be it possible to add a download queue for OPDS stuff?
It's been worked on.

Cheers

Art
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #761
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Downloading meta data and going to add the books to Marvin again. I am loving the app. I can't wait for folders/tags/ whatever. And yes, I know they are coming
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #762
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I am not a fan of 2 column layout in general, but the Marvin implementation is very good. Mainly because it can be tweaked till a comfortable line length is achieved in each column. I could be converted, at least in landscape mode.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #763
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love the two page lay out. I really love the ability to tweak the spacing and the like. It is great.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #764
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Go for option (a) because I know how people can be. If you go for (b) and people find it not good enough, the reviews can be not good. That won't help the iPhone version of Marvin to have a lot of bad reviews.
I agree. You should be particularly concerned about the effect of negative reviews if Marvin is to be a universal app, in which case potentially discontented iPhone owners would drown out happier iPad owners.

Your most loyal customer base, composed of the individuals on this site, will not abandon Marvin over a few weeks' wait. Your priority as a creator and a businessman should be to develop a product that meets the standards for excellence that you have set for yourself, and which your current users have come to expect. Bowing to clamour for a hasty and incomplete release will likely end in dissatisfaction for everyone, including those pressuring you the most.

Last edited by holymadness; 02-07-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #765
kguil
Addict

Thanks holymadness. I see your point.
Closed Thread