Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Resonance (The Prophet from Jupiter)

I read a story - The Prophet from Jupiter by Tony Earley last night and was completely blown away. I posted a mention of it in the Reading Recs section. I read it in the Scribner Anthology of Contemporary Short Fiction (1999 edition) but it is on line here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7117960/Th...t-From-Jupiter

As I read it I kept going, my god he has EVERYTHING in here. And not only is it in there, but it all comes together into a cohesive ending. It is filled with both subtle and not so subtle symbols and meanings and is overall just a 'dam' good story!

I ran across this mention of it relating how the author had said he deliberately tried to put everything into it:

http://www.glimmertrain.com/b45percy.html

Putting everything in was worth it, it shows.

One reason this resonates with me is that I continually write down ideas, scenes, titles, incidents but I am very guilty of doing the 'rationing' thing mentioned by Benjamin Percy in the article above. I must stop that for I too have found (whether fiction or non-fiction) putting everything into it makes for the best result.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-15-2012 at 09:05 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I do keep multiple lists. One list of thoughts that might one day lead to some new project, and separate lists related to specific projects. ... But I can't really say that I ever feel like I'm rationing the ideas, it's more like they're waiting for the place where they belong.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Well, yeah, certainly some ideas/concepts/scenes are incompatible. But can still stimulate the creativity I think when you bang them up against one another.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote