Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad mini, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Saving to file problem

I know this is just me being picky over minor problem, but still -

Whenever I save an ebook from calibre whose title starts with 'The' calibre insists on changing the title so that the 'The' is put at the end of the title. For example

'The Cook's Wedding and Other Stories.epub' becomes 'Cook's Wedding and Other Stories - The.epub'. The authors name goes in their somewhere, but I'm not fussed about that.

It's not a lot of work to rename the file back to the original, but I don't see why I should have to.

Is there any way of preventing this happening - so that calibre saves the file with the same name I have given it?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I know this is just me being picky over minor problem, but still -

Whenever I save an ebook from calibre whose title starts with 'The' calibre insists on changing the title so that the 'The' is put at the end of the title. For example

'The Cook's Wedding and Other Stories.epub' becomes 'Cook's Wedding and Other Stories - The.epub'. The authors name goes in their somewhere, but I'm not fussed about that.

It's not a lot of work to rename the file back to the original, but I don't see why I should have to.

Is there any way of preventing this happening - so that calibre saves the file with the same name I have given it?
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gui.html#save-to-disk

Quote:
You can control the file name and folder structure of files saved to disk by setting up a template in Preferences->Import/Export->Saving books to disk. Also see The calibre template language.
edit:

Almost forgot also see tweaks :
Code:
Control formatting of title and series when used in templates (ID: save_template_title_series_sorting)
bernie

Last edited by gbm; 03-29-2017 at 09:31 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
As gbm points out this is controlled by a tweak.

Quote:
#: Control formatting of title and series when used in templates
# Control how title and series names are formatted when saving to disk/sending
# to device. The behavior depends on the field being processed. If processing
# title, then if this tweak is set to 'library_order', the title will be
# replaced with title_sort. If it is set to 'strictly_alphabetic', then the
# title will not be changed. If processing series, then if set to
# 'library_order', articles such as 'The' and 'An' will be moved to the end. If
# set to 'strictly_alphabetic', the series will be sent without change.
# For example, if the tweak is set to library_order, "The Lord of the Rings"
# will become "Lord of the Rings, The". If the tweak is set to
# strictly_alphabetic, it would remain "The Lord of the Rings". Note that the
# formatter function raw_field will return the base value for title and
# series regardless of the setting of this tweak.
save_template_title_series_sorting = 'library_order'
Set Preferences - Tweaks - "Control formatting of title and series when used in templates" to the following

# Control formatting of title and series when used in templates

save_template_title_series_sorting = 'strictly_alphabetic'
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad mini, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks to you both. Looks like I'll have to do more reading.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
khoogeland
khoogeland began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD/ Irex Digital Reader 1000S
I have been looking for this answer, as well. Thank you, all.

Does anyone know why this option is the standard setting? I mean, if I wanted this outcome, I would use the field "title_sort" in stead of "title". It's been annoying and puzzling my for some time now. Thanks again for pointing me towards the solution.
khoogeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Historical reasons -- from a time before there wasa title_sort field
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote