Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Nemo1984
Enthusiast
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Demo mode as slideshow

Good day,

I have been using Demo Mode as a slideshow viewer. However, on firmwares higher than 4.2.8432, using this resets the settings.

I am looking for the file that controls the demo mode. Haven't been able to spot it yet. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would help immensly. Otherwise, I'll keep searching. If I ever find something, I'll post my results here.

As of now, I'm sticking with 4.2.8432.

Regards

EDIT: I have found some interesting strings in libnickel.so.1.0.0

DemoModeManager12exitDemoModeEvDemoModeManager12ex itDemoModeEv

By digging around this string a bit, I might be able to come up with a patch to keep the settings and all after demo mode off.

Last edited by Nemo1984; 03-09-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Nemo1984
Enthusiast

Well, I give up. All I find around this string is more strings.

Could I simply copy libnickel.so.1.0.0 over some other firmware?
Old 03-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iriver StoryHD
You could stick to old firmware if that has all you need?
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
Nemo1984
Enthusiast

Yeah, I guess I could, but I would be missing out on bugfixes.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
Yeah, I guess I could, but I would be missing out on bugfixes.
Copy the libnickel.so.1.0.0 from a different firmware version is going to be an "interesting experience". Not A Good Idea!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iriver StoryHD
libnickel is not really a library. Basically it's all in one big file. The largest file in the firmware actually. Maybe if it was split up into topics you could replace some parts but... no. Maybe there are some methods with LD_PRELOAD or whatever to redirect a specific function call to an old libnickel but... it's not as simple as replacing files in any case.
frostschutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Nemo1984
Enthusiast

Ok. Thank you! It's a bit unfortunate though.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
Nemo1984
Enthusiast

Know what, I'm going to backup the sd card and try it anyway. It'll probably crash the whole thing, but just for fun.

Like DNSB said, an interesting experiment.

Last edited by Nemo1984; 03-10-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Know what, I'm going to backup the sd card and try it anyway. It'll probably crash the whole thing, but just for fun.

Like DNSB said, an interesting experiment.
Certainly, an interesting experiment. However, by the use of an older libnickel.so.1.0.0 you might lose several of the improvements of the newer version. Therefore you could as well stay with the older FW and prevent it from updating. On a side note, I forgot whether the FW version is hardcoded into nickel or libnickel.so.1.0.0. But if it is in libnickel.so.1.0.0, you might be forced to upgrade to the current FW when you sync with the Kobo server, just because you have an older libnickel.so.1.0.0.
Apart from staying with an older FW, you could try modify advboot that it starts the demoloop.sh script without nickel. I have never used the demo mode in nickel, so may be there are some advantages like auto sleep or auto power off. I do not know.

I might also mention that it is possible to have two versions of the reading software installed at the same device. I have currently running 4.3.8842, and 4.2.8110. You would of course use only the newer version, when you connect to the Kobo server.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:53 PM   #10
Nemo1984
Enthusiast

I never use the kobo server, and the wifi update is blocked. I just wonder if the whole firmware is based on the libnickel.so.1.0.0, or if it calls for other functions from other files as well. I'm expecting not to have a lot of bugfixes since I keep the core, but who knows... Maybe a better battery life than just staying on 4.2.8432? Some fixes with lighting going off when set to 0 then 1% ?

That is if any of this works at all.

Last edited by Nemo1984; 03-11-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never use the kobo server, and the wifi update is blocked. I just wonder if the whole firmware is based on the libnickel.so.1.0.0, or if it calls for other functions from other files as well. I'm expecting not to have a lot of bugfixes since I keep the core, but who knows... Maybe a better battery life than just staying on 4.2.8432? Some fixes with lighting going off when set to 0 then 1% ?

That is if any of this works at all.
libnickel.so.1.0.0 is an important part of course, but there is a dependence on other libraries too.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #12
boriar
Addict
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I might also mention that it is possible to have two versions of the reading software installed at the same device. I have currently running 4.3.8842, and 4.2.8110. You would of course use only the newer version, when you connect to the Kobo server.
Hi! Can you explain how do it?
Is it only the render for epubs or kepubs, or even both? Or are you referred to the whole environment (like multirom on android)?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #13
Nemo1984
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Is it only the render for epubs or kepubs, or even both? Or are you referred to the whole environment (like multirom on android)?
Like he said?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 AM   #14
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
The location of nickel and some of the stuff it depends on is /usr/local/Kobo.
The basic idea is to have a version of the Kobo folder of the alternative nickel version, but, of course with a different name, for instances Kob2 (/usr/local/Kob2). When you want to start the alternative nickel version, you would set the variables that contain the path /usr/local/Kobo, so that they contain the path /usr/local/Kob2 (e.g., LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/Kob2); and call /usr/local/Kob2/nickel, instead of /usr/local/Kobo/nickel (I would do this also with pickel [if I would use it at all]).
Before calling the alternative nickel, make a back up of your .kobo folder. Since the alternative version will use the same database and so on as the main version, this easily leads to difficulties. If you want to make the alternative version use its own database you would have to create a .kob2 with the content of .kobo, set NICKEL_HOME=/mnt/onboard/.kob2, and patch several of the libraries in /usr/local/Kob2/, since they contain hard coded path names.
I would not recommend to try this if you do not have a serious reason (for instance insatiable curiosity) for trying it. If you want to do it nevertheless, be aware that the content of /usr/local/Kob2/ consumes some space of the system partition. If you have KSM 08 installed, KSM already uses some space there. And you need to have some remaining free space for the system to work.

Last edited by tshering; 03-13-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 AM   #15
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
EDIT: I have found some interesting strings in libnickel.so.1.0.0

DemoModeManager12exitDemoModeEvDemoModeManager12ex itDemoModeEv
That string is (part of) a mangled C++ function name. A disassembler can unmangle the name.

Mangled name: _ZN15DemoModeManager12exitDemoModeEv
Original name: DemoModeManager::exitDemoMode()

It won't do any good to change the name, but you can use it to locate the code for the named function, and it tells you what arguments the function takes (none in this case.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote