Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #196
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Really?
Well, yes. It seems ridiculous to have made a rod for their own backs. There's no external time table for the transfer. They could have closed down Fictionwise for new purchases while leaving the downloads available for months.

But even then it seems that technically it's a simple matter to get 90% of the transfers done, given that book title and author are readily available. No doubt there are some instances where the title and author don't match across databases, but the matching should only need to be done once for each title, not for each copy of the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
My suggestion is to expect nothing: download and strip DRM ASAP, make multiple backups both on- and off-site, and then sit back with some popcorn to watch the show.
This is certainly sensible advance, and I have now got all but my 8 Microsoft LIT books and 2 USA-only eReader books downloaded and de-drmed. I think the LIT ones are now gone for good, unless they get transferred to B&N.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #197
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Well, yes. It seems ridiculous to have made a rod for their own backs. There's no external time table for the transfer. They could have closed down Fictionwise for new purchases while leaving the downloads available for months.
Exactly.
Self-inflicted wounds are a B&N specialty.

As you say, if they have solved the licensing issues the technical issues shouldn't be leading to the kind of problems we're seeing. (The emails they send link you you to a site that doesn't recognize your email address as valid? Seriously?)

Conversely, if they weren't sure they had all the plumbing in place, why set such a tight deadline, thereby raising the urgency and anxiety level of the customers? Oh, I'm sure there is a valid reason somewhere for the deadline--they may have to vacate the premises because their lease is up or some such--but it does *look* like shoddy planning through and through.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #198
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Personally, I didn't even bother checking out the email. All 112 of my Fictionwise multiformats have been downloaded and backed up. I *really* don't want to depend on B&N for anything.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #199
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Be aware, unlike newer versions of ereaders, with the eBookwise, it's an either/or situation. If you insert the card, the eBookwise will display the contents of the card, and not what's saved in the hardware. (Unlike my Sony, for example, that will show the combined contents of the SD/MemoryStick cards *and* what's saved in the machine's drive).
I can't speak for the eBookwise directly, but on my old REB1100, I was able to see both (used the RB format). The eBookwise seemed to be an REB1200 (which used IMP) in an REB1100 shell. The REB1100 was my first ereader.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:42 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I clicked the link again today and I'm still getting a message saying I'll receive the email with the code from B&N the week of the 19th. That's not possible as it's no longer the week of the 19th.

I've found the phone number on the B&N site and shall be giving them a call on Monday or Tuesday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #201
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I clicked the link again today and I'm still getting a message saying I'll receive the email with the code from B&N the week of the 19th. That's not possible as it's no longer the week of the 19th.
I have the same problem. No new email since the first one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #202
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
112, that's a lot of purchased e-books in one place !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Personally, I didn't even bother checking out the email. All 112 of my Fictionwise multiformats have been downloaded and backed up. I *really* don't want to depend on B&N for anything.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #203
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
"That depends." My eReader.com bookshelf page shows 156 purchases from March 2001 to September 2008. That's only about 20 books a year, which isn't a huge number. Note that some of those 156 were freebie offers that I grabbed but haven't read. Also note that for a whole lot of that time, there really weren't that many choices to buy an ebook from.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #204
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have the same problem. No new email since the first one.
I just wonder why no code since they had over a week to get it out. I have checked my spam folder as well and nothing at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #205
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not really. I've got well over 400 books from Amazon. And there's a few here who have *way* more than that.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #206
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Not really. I've got well over 400 books from Amazon. And there's a few here who have *way* more than that.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #207
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Not naming names ...
Old 11-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #208
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Not naming names ...
Much obliged.

For future reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138205

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-25-2012 at 08:19 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #209
Leilani
Leilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with othersLeilani plays well with others

Device: K3, Voyage, KOA2
FW purchases

Quote:
I've had 278 purchases in the last 18 months. FW allowed me to try out authors without very much expense. I'll be buying a lot fewer books and trying to borrow more. I'm going to miss FW very much.

And I haven't received my code but I downloaded in mobi, epub, pdf and lit just for good measure.
Leilani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #210
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just wonder why no code since they had over a week to get it out. I have checked my spam folder as well and nothing at all.
They probably figured that no code was better than a broken code, like others of us received.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote