Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Poyo
Poyo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 505
Transfer Audio Book (MP3) to Reader: possible

Hi,

I have Audio Books to transfer to my Sony PRS 505. I use Read MP3 audio book metadata. So fine I can import those Audio Books in Calibre but until now i cannot find a way to send them to my Sony (that have the avaibility to read audiobooks) since Calibre answer me that it cannot find any format.

1000 Thanks in advance for your help.

Poyo
Poyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Calibre is not really geared towards handling audiobooks, so you will have to handle the transfer to the device outside Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Poyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Calibre is not really geared towards handling audiobooks, so you will have to handle the transfer to the device outside Calibre.
Many thanks for your help and answer.

Any idea how to do it under Linux? Or I have to use Sony Software under windows?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #4
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
A good idea is to use a program like MediaMonkey to organize music and audio books. If you like to combine Calibre with the audio books then integrate the playlist as a file attached to the book in Calibre. This works very well for me.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Poyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
A good idea is to use a program like MediaMonkey to organize music and audio books. If you like to combine Calibre with the audio books then integrate the playlist as a file attached to the book in Calibre. This works very well for me.
So if i understand correctly, I have to do a MP3 playlist, import it with calibre and then send it to my ebook reader? The transfer will be possible?
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poyo View Post
So if i understand correctly, I have to do a MP3 playlist, import it with calibre and then send it to my ebook reader? The transfer will be possible?
No!, that just allows you to track the audio book in your Library.

I was thinking that the Open With PI could be used to do this in some way (Call your shell script to do a rather complicated set of tasks ), but IIRC the formats it can act on (predefined) are limited to the ones that calibre treats as e-books or images. You could do a Hack on the plugin (Hooray for open source)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Poyo

Thanks for the trick but looks a little complicated. If no other silution, i will go through windows + sony reader software manager. Strange in 2013 there is not a easy solution to manage audiobooks for ereaders, even under Linux....
Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Poyo

Finally, i found a very simple way (I could try it before but was little afraid to damage the file system from Sony...).
So i just plugged my reader on my linux mint, created a Music folder in the SD Card, and put each mp3 album on it. When i restarted the player, he scanned the card and just saw all the files and then i can play it.

Voila
Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Thanks for the tip.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poyo View Post
Finally, i found a very simple way (I could try it before but was little afraid to damage the file system from Sony...).
So i just plugged my reader on my linux mint, created a Music folder in the SD Card, and put each mp3 album on it. When i restarted the player, he scanned the card and just saw all the files and then i can play it.

Voila
Sorry - that is the normal way to do it that I had assumed you already tried so did not bother to mention it. It is also possible to copy ebooks in a similar way but is not the way I would recommend for ebooks as the calibre interface is much easier and richer.

One weakness of the Sony for audiobooks is that it does not have a very good interface for playing audio. I find it is just about adequate for audiobooks, but not at all good for music. Still at times it is nice to be able to listen to a book rather than put in the effort of trying to read it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Poyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Sorry - that is the normal way to do it that I had assumed you already tried so did not bother to mention it. It is also possible to copy ebooks in a similar way but is not the way I would recommend for ebooks as the calibre interface is much easier and richer.

One weakness of the Sony for audiobooks is that it does not have a very good interface for playing audio. I find it is just about adequate for audiobooks, but not at all good for music. Still at times it is nice to be able to listen to a book rather than put in the effort of trying to read it.

You right, the Sony Interface is not so good. But at least better than nothing. The worst in fact is that: you put all you Album in different folders, the reader accept it. But when you open the reader, it open all the songs, one by one list, you cannot choose by folder. But at least it doesn't mix all the songs from all your folders.

And you rigth, i will not do the same with ebooks; I tried once: it erased all the reader files until I had to setup up with Sony Software.