Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
Now I am confused.. If you use "Send to Kindle", does it not just transfer directly via USB and not via (and therefore a copy in) the cloud?
Send to Kindle is a Program by Amazon. You can right click on any compatible file and click Send to Kindle from Windows Explorer. It uploads it directly to your Cloud bypassing email servers.

So what I do is from Calibre is use Save to Disk and save my books to a folder. In my case it's my Dropbox folder. I then right click on each book and use the Send to Kindle program to upload them to my personal documents cloud.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
n808
n808 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ah thanks, now it's clear!
n808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #18
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Send to Kindle is a Program by Amazon. You can right click on any compatible file and click Send to Kindle from Windows Explorer. It uploads it directly to your Cloud bypassing email servers.

So what I do is from Calibre is use Save to Disk and save my books to a folder. In my case it's my Dropbox folder. I then right click on each book and use the Send to Kindle program to upload them to my personal documents cloud.
You can also have Calibre send to your kindle email address directly--I have it set to send it to mykindle@free.kindle.com and it works fine.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
n808
n808 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I found Send to Kindle to work much faster. Maybe Google throttles the amount of emails I can send to 1 per 2-3 minutes or so... When I use email, the Personal Documents end up with the correct author, if I use Send to Kindle, all ends up as authored by me ...

@Blossom: do you get the correct author when using the Send to Kindle program?

(since I only have Wi-fi, I don't have to use @free.kindle.com, just @kindle.com)
n808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
I found Send to Kindle to work much faster. Maybe Google throttles the amount of emails I can send to 1 per 2-3 minutes or so... When I use email, the Personal Documents end up with the correct author, if I use Send to Kindle, all ends up as authored by me ...

@Blossom: do you get the correct author when using the Send to Kindle program?

(since I only have Wi-fi, I don't have to use @free.kindle.com, just @kindle.com)
Yes I do but you have to upload them one by one to get the correct metadata. So right click on one at a time. I agree Gmail doesn't like sending all those emails at one time. I usually get a few to bounce back. Send to Kindle bypasses the email and is much faster than Calibre.
Advert
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:

Wow Blossom, thanks for that. I just downloaded the Dropbox for my computer. Now that it is in my Dropbox on my computer. How does it go to my KFHD?

How do you learn all of this stuff???
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Wow Blossom, thanks for that. I just downloaded the Dropbox for my computer. Now that it is in my Dropbox on my computer. How does it go to my KFHD?

How do you learn all of this stuff???
By installing their app here on your KFHD. So when you put something in your Dropbox it syncs to their server and then you can grab it off the app onto your KF.

Computer, techy stuff has always come easy for me. I'm not good at alot of things so when I discovered the internet in 1993 I knew I had found my nich in the world. I do use Google alot and search the forums for info. I have a horrible memory these days but luckily it hasn't hit that part of my brain. It's about all I can remember right besides book and author info.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Quote:
By installing their app here on your KFHD. So when you put something in your Dropbox it syncs to their server and then you can grab it off the app onto your KF.

Computer, techy stuff has always come easy for me. I'm not good at alot of things so when I discovered the internet in 1993 I knew I had found my nich in the world. I do use Google alot and search the forums for info. I have a horrible memory these days but luckily it hasn't hit that part of my brain. It's about all I can remember right besides book and author info.
Just a quick question about DB and Kindle Fire I have version 2.1.3. Do I just install the latest app on top or remove old? version first?
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Never mind Blossom, I figured it out. Updated just fine. New version has better control panel. I use Calibre and a dropbox directory for my library. The only problem is Calibre library is organized by author which requires searching for that book you want to export to your Fire. Would be nice to have a Calibre app for Fire.
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyrinkle View Post
Never mind Blossom, I figured it out. Updated just fine. New version has better control panel. I use Calibre and a dropbox directory for my library. The only problem is Calibre library is organized by author which requires searching for that book you want to export to your Fire. Would be nice to have a Calibre app for Fire.
I use the Save to disk and save all my books to Dropbox my genre. I also have my Calibre Library on there but that just for back up. I use plugboards on Calibre so the Save to Disk feature from Calibre is a must to add the Series info to the title of the book. So I can see it on my Kindle and know what book to read next.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I like the Send to Kindle app too. I prefer it to the Calibre Email to ... options.

It would be good if we could invoke the Send to Kindle app direct from Calibre, rather than having to save our library to disk to use it.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
I like the Send to Kindle app too. I prefer it to the Calibre Email to ... options.

It would be good if we could invoke the Send to Kindle app direct from Calibre, rather than having to save our library to disk to use it.
It could probably be done... someone could write a plugin for it.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #28
tanstaafl1963
tanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Email to Kindle

Wondering about the time lag between sending an email to the free @kindle email.

I sent a book or 3 about 10 minutes ago, and they haven't arrived yet. Each is less than 300k. I did confirm that the email went out from my gmail account (it shows up in the Sent folder), but have yet to see it.

Am I too impatient?
tanstaafl1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl1963 View Post
Wondering about the time lag between sending an email to the free @kindle email.

I sent a book or 3 about 10 minutes ago, and they haven't arrived yet. Each is less than 300k. I did confirm that the email went out from my gmail account (it shows up in the Sent folder), but have yet to see it.

Am I too impatient?
Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the server and how busy it is. I had a problem once when sending multiple books in one email - one of them said it was no correct format. I sent the exact same file again and it worked. You might be better off to use the send to kindle from your computer rather than using email.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanstaafl1963 View Post

Am I too impatient?
Use Send to Kindle instead. You bypass your email servers which can be slow specially Gmail at times. With this little Add on it uploads the book directly to Amazon's servers. Gmail is known for holding mail with attachments till it deems them safe.

Tags
calibre, mobi, personal document