Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I'm sold, bought and iPad 3, at last.

I must admit I heavily criticized the new iPad. Part because , in my opinion, didn't see big, big changes. And part because its weight went up a bit. I mainly use it for reading, so holding a device comfortably in my hands is key for that.

But I left work really early past Friday and went to Verizon. I played with it for about 15 min and boy ... the books and PDFs look really crisp, I mean, really! Small fonts are sharp and defined. I pulled the trigger (should I say the wallet?) ...and bought the 4G 16GB model.

At home, I was able to do side by side comparison and the difference is noticeable, no psychological effect here. It's a fact!

Planning to sell my beloved white iPad 2 soon.

The iPad 3 and Kindle paperwhite will be my new favorite reading combo set ... :-) ... Still I need to reevaluate and keep using my Nexus 7and see if the device fills any reading gap or not.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Yes, the screen makes a HUGE difference if you spend a lot of time reading - it's super crisp compared to the iPad2. Originally I wasn't planning to upgrade, but when I saw the difference in screen, I changed my mind. 80% of the time I spend on my 3gen iPad is spent reading pdfs, so it's been well worth the investment.

Enjoy
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes.

Honestly, the difference using Kindle for iOs is not huge. But when I open my MS-SQL PDF books, I can read the very small fonts without switching to landscape mode in my iPad. With PDFs, it makes the difference, indeed!

I may also get a stylus and fully replace the regular notebook at work, for my Monday meetings!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I must admit I heavily criticized the new iPad. Part because , in my opinion, didn't see big, big changes. And part because its weight went up a bit. I mainly use it for reading, so holding a device comfortably in my hands is key for that.

But I left work really early past Friday and went to Verizon. I played with it for about 15 min and boy ... the books and PDFs look really crisp, I mean, really! Small fonts are sharp and defined. I pulled the trigger (should I say the wallet?) ...and bought the 4G 16GB model.

At home, I was able to do side by side comparison and the difference is noticeable, no psychological effect here. It's a fact!

Planning to sell my beloved white iPad 2 soon.

The iPad 3 and Kindle paperwhite will be my new favorite reading combo set ... :-) ... Still I need to reevaluate and keep using my Nexus 7and see if the device fills any reading gap or not.
Your analysis is impressive.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
The new ipad was my first one so I can't really comment on prev ipads, but I really love the HD display, its awesome
it needs a powerful battery, thats the down side but I think its worth it
awesome
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
The new ipad was my first one so I can't really comment on prev ipads, but I really love the HD display, its awesome
it needs a powerful battery, thats the down side but I think its worth it
awesome
Many people I know who travel by train and bus, carry a battery booster/charger similar to jump box for car. If battery in a device weakens, just plug battery booster in to charge port and you will get double or triple the normal time.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #7
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A "jump box" for the car? hhhmmm? 1st I have heard of this
Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 AM   #8
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I wanted a higher resolution screen since the day I got my iPad. I told myself that I could upgrade as soon as a higher resolution came out. Thus far, I'm pretty shocked that I have always had just enough will power to hold off. But now, many of my textbooks are actually made for the iPad, so the resolution isn't an issue like it was when I was reading PDF versions. So now I'm telling myself that it's better for me to wait because the iPad 3 has the old charger and surely, I want the new lightening charger. Right?

In reality, the only iProduct that I own is the iPad, so whether it's a 30-pin or lightening, I'll still need a different charger than a micro USB.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I love my iPad3 and gave my iPad2 to my mother. Yes there is a big difference looking at photos and reading magazines. It wouldn't matter if I just did mail and played solitaire but I love looking at my photos and have a huge magazine and comic book subscription backlog. Most of my iPads time is spent playing music while I have a slide-show on next to my work pc. I have several collections of Hi-res photos of landscapes, nature scenes, flowers and gardens, hubble space photos, family photos, pet photos and home renovation photos. The better screen is wonderful.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Most of my iPads time is spent playing music while I have a slide-show on next to my work pc. I have several collections of Hi-res photos of landscapes, nature scenes, flowers and gardens, hubble space photos, family photos, pet photos and home renovation photos. The better screen is wonderful.
I'd really recommend the free Fotopedia Heritage app for this. Gorgeous photos of interesting sites from around the world. It has a slideshow mode for exactly this use.
There is also Art Authority, but that isn't free.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
A "jump box" for the car? hhhmmm? 1st I have heard of this
Here are a couple...
http://www.amazon.com/Jump-N-Carry-J.../ref=pd_cp_e_1
http://www.amazon.com/Clore-Automoti.../ref=pd_cp_e_0
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
injapan
Addict

thanks

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

I had an iPad 1 for a while but the resolution was hard on my eyes, so I a got rid of it. The iPad 3 is so much better for reading, browsing, etc.

However, as much as I would love to fully replace my laptop with it, that won't be happening. As long as tablets (including iPads and Android devices) cannot be easily connected with and truly usable with cameras and other devices, they won't be able to replace my laptop. It is so easy to connect my Windows 7 laptop to my Canon EOS 60D dSLR and use it to control the camera. Not talking DLing photos, talking control of the camera. Likewise, it is so easy to connect my laptop to all of my many amateur radios and control and program them. I keep hoping a good tablet will come along with the connectors and software support for such tasks, but I suspect other than a Windows tablet that is not likely to happen. So yes I love my iPad 3, but it will never be the work horse I wish it was. Just like the Android tablets, it is more of an entertainment device than anything else. I sure hope Microsoft finally gets it right and ushers in an era of work horse tablets.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline

Ohh yeah, totally agree.

I can't do any work related activity on my iPad. I use it mainly for reading PDFs and browsing Internet. But that's it.

It may be suitable as "only one device" for someone who only check emails or browse Internet.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
However, as much as I would love to fully replace my laptop with it, that won't be happening. As long as tablets (including iPads and Android devices) cannot be easily connected with and truly usable with cameras and other devices, they won't be able to replace my laptop. It is so easy to connect my Windows 7 laptop to my Canon EOS 60D dSLR and use it to control the camera. Not talking DLing photos, talking control of the camera.
It looks like there is an Android app that would allow you to do this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntroller&hl=en

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-03-2012 at 04:56 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote