Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
What are these different files?

I've been sideloading files onto my Kindles using Calibre. I now need to take some off and I'm stumped as to what these different files are. Can someone explain them or send me to a link that does? Everything is in one folder (documents). I didn't realize I had this confusing mess until I tried to sideload this month's book club selection (Camilla). Fortunately, this was the kindle with ads and it only has about 20 books on it. I'd hate to look at my KindleKeyboard which has nearly 1000 books.

Each file that has been read has the following types of files: Kindle Content, EA File, MBP File, PHL File, APNX File. Some also have an AZW3 File (sometimes with a kindle file, sometimes without).

What does .fusehidden0000035c300000001 mean?

What does DONT HALT ON REPAIR mean?
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's been answered a few times already, but here we go...

* .ea/.eal: End Actions (The 'Before you go..' popup at the end of a book).
* .mpb/.mpb1/.tan/.tas/.tal/.mbs/.han: Notes, Bookmarks & Progress
* .phl: Popular Highlights
* .azw: Mobi book
* .tpz/.azw1: Topaz book
* .pobi: Periodical
* .azw2: Kindlet (Active content)
* .azw3: KF8 book
* .azw4: Print-Replica book
* .apnx: Page Numbers
* There's also a bunch of other misc stuff in the sidecar (.sdr) folder on the K5: .azw3f, .azw3r, and .asc for X-Ray (among other things).

The .fusehidden files are... let's say ghost files of stuff that has been deleted while it was still in use, to keep it simple. Should never happen under normal circumstances... (Wild guess: Is this a K4, has it been jailbroken but not rebooted straight away after the JB at one point? And/or: do you make it a habit of unplugging your device without ejecting it first?).

The DONT_HALT_ON_REPAIR is a flag file used by the framework to, well, don't halt (shutdown) on repair (the 'Your Kindle Needs Repair' screen). It's always there on the K4 for some reason.

To resume: everything has a particular use. Don't delete stuff for the fun of it (or even to free space up: most of those sidecar files are pretty light). If you find your documents folder messy, use Calibre with a proper target folder template (or, sideload into subfolders yourself. The only time you don't really have a choice is when the device loads content itself [send to Kindle, on-device buying, on-device Archive/Cloud]).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2012 at 09:09 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Cheers for that info on the .fusehidden files. I don't have many books on my Kindle, I delete as I read them (on the Kindle itself), and generally add books using Calibre. It's not jailbroken, it's always ejected safely, but I've had one or two of those .fusehidden files (plus some part download files, can't remember the specific name) and wondered what they were.

I wouldn't touch any files outside the documents folder, but anything in it that isn't a book file have been deleted, and so far my Kindle still works just fine.....
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You can, of course, safely delete those sidecar files (those in the documents folder), it won't make anything blow up. You're just killing some 'features' along the way, and it's just pretty much useless, since they really don't take a lot of disk space, and most of it will be re-downloaded on the next sync anyway .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I just checked my Documents folder and since the last time I 'tidied' it a few weeks ago, there is just one .fusehidden file on there. I've downloaded a few news articles via wi-fi since, so just one file isn't too bad.

I'm not worried about them taking up space, they just look messy! And since they don't make any difference to my reading when I delete them, there's no reason to keep them. Nice to know what it is I'm deleting though
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thank you, NiLuJe. Though you say it had been answered before, I had never found such a list of filetypes and had asked the question myself a while back.

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote