Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
Syncman
Syncman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Books not yet digital.

As a newbie here, who is it that actually does the conversion of books to e-books? Bought a book by Gavin Lyall on Amazon, but the next one I want is not available, only as hard/soft cover. The NEW soft cover is selling for $200-00 plus.????

http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-Side-Sky...ds=gavin+lyall

How long before older books appear as digital versions? Is there a site where you can request a conversion?

Forgive my ignorance.
Syncman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Wrong Side of the Sky was his first book, published in 1961. The rights most likely reside with his estate (or whoever inherited) unless the book is highly popular and has been kept in print all these years (looking at Amazon this doesn't appear to be the case). Either a publisher would have to pay the estate for the rights or his estate would have to self publish the book to get it out there as an ebook.

The $200 'new' copy is just a couple of third party sellers hoping someone might bite at that price.

You could always buy one of the cheap used copies and scan/ocr it if you want an ebook copy.

More on the authors works...
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/gavin-lyall/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Lyall
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
There are services like 1dollarscan.com, but the problem is most of those are destructive (meaning, the book will not remain in one piece). If you're going to spend $200 on a book, you probably don't want it to be cut up.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I see a used hardcover for a little more than 5$. I suppose that one is worth ripping and scanning, even destructively...

Obviously, once you have bought and digitized the printed book, you have to keep it strictly for your personal use. For sure you cannot share it on the net, like some criminal has done in the past (as you can see googling around for illegal e-versions of that book).
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
I see a used hardcover for a little more than 5$. I suppose that one is worth ripping and scanning, even destructively...

Obviously, once you have bought and digitized the printed book, you have to keep it strictly for your personal use. For sure you cannot share it on the net, like some criminal has done in the past (as you can see googling around for illegal e-versions of that book).
Are you sure? What if you read the printed book, send it to a digitizer but ask the digitizer to email the ebook to a friend instead of to yourself, because your friend wants to read the book but needs the larger font of an ebook? I'm not advocating piracy like some criminal, just wondering about sharing ebooks...
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Have you checked Open Library for it? I thought anyone could make an account there, and I see six of his books available to borrow on there. You didn't give the name of the specific book you were interested in, or I would have check that for you.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Many older books exist in eform because a fan went to the effort of either typing it in or scanning it into a computer and using OCR software to clean it up.

I plan to scan in 2 books by Frank Eric Russell. They likely will never be in print again and I can't read them in their current form.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
There is a service, https://unglue.it/, that is supposed to provide a crowdfunding approach where people contribute the money to buy the rights to a book to get it released under creative commons.

Not sure if you can recommend books to them or organize your own campaign though.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote