Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Phone & Fire 10 & Kobo Aura [6"]
[6"] New to Need Help

Does this eReader do Collections & HOW? ALL eBooks will be Sideloaded fyi.
Recommendations with links plz for this device.

Took me a year to finally take the Plunge Since I only have Fire 10" & Fire Phone 4.5" I am betting this becomes my main reader

WOW what a difference from KPW 2 & 3! I am sure I have more questions ....just finished downloading a few eBooks & going to Ply with it to get to know it.

Darn thought I put it in the Title.... Arua 6" Reader

& ?? 3.... has micro sd card slot but no information on How Big or anything....

Last edited by Katie1; 12-01-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Katie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Here you go. This is the link tot he thread on shelf/collection management.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement
Old 12-01-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone 6, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Does this eReader do Collections & HOW?
You can manually create and add/remove from collections or you can have Calibre auto generate them.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo...nd_Collections
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:24 PM   #4
Katie1
Non-Techy
Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katie1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here you go. This is the link tot he thread on shelf/collection management.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184
Old 12-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
Katie1
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
You can manually create and add/remove from collections or you can have Calibre auto generate them.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo...nd_Collections
Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #6
Katie1
Non-Techy

My Bad... I want to use the Collections on Kobo Device. Not thru Calibre.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Wife: Touch, Arc, Vox Me: Nexus 7, Glo
You CAN create and manage collections on the device itself, but it's tedious
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
Quote:
My Bad... I want to use the Collections on Kobo Device. Not thru Calibre.
Yes, the device does collections. There is a collection list. You can add collections to the list and then books to the collections. Or, when looking at the book list, you can add a book to any collection. You can put a book into multiple collections. This is all easy, just time consuming for more than a few books and collections. Hence the desire to use calibre to create and populate the collections.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
Katie1
Non-Techy

I get the How to Make a collection What I Can Not figure out is How to move the eBooks into the collection. No it will Not be better to let Calibre do it. The Only thing I use Calibre for is to remove DRM & Convert. Then I put then on external HD in ALL Formates I want them in.

So I make a Collection ...got that
So how do I Move the ebooks into the Collection?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HDX 8.9, AuraHD, Nook HD+, Kindle 2,3,T , Opus, Nexus7, iPhone 6, etc
Two options that I can think of.

1) Tap and hold on the individual book and select Add to collection. Then select the collection(s) you want the book in.

2) Go to My Collections from the Home screen or Library screen (there is a dropdown where one of the options is My Collections, others are Books, Previews & Articles from Pocket). Tap on the collection. Tap the menu (three lines) option in the bar below the collection name and select Manage collection. Swipe through the library pages putting checkmarks by the books you want to add to the collection.

Hope that makes sense.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
Quote:
I get the How to Make a collection What I Can Not figure out is How to move the eBooks into the collection. No it will Not be better to let Calibre do it. The Only thing I use Calibre for is to remove DRM & Convert. Then I put then on external HD in ALL Formates I want them in.

So I make a Collection ...got that
So how do I Move the ebooks into the Collection?
To be pedantic, AnemicOak, has answered how to add a book to a collection. But, you cannot move a book to a collection.

Books can be in multiple collections but will also be displayed in the main book list.
davidfor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Quote:
I get the How to Make a collection What I Can Not figure out is How to move the eBooks into the collection. No it will Not be better to let Calibre do it. The Only thing I use Calibre for is to remove DRM & Convert.
Even if currently, you only use Calibre to remove DRM and convert, that doesn't mean it won't handle other functions beautifully for you.

If making collections in Calibre and moving those to the device is easier than the alternative, why not do it that way?

I also trust Calibre to move books to my Aura and eject it more than I trust Windows alone. The Kobo database seems to be a fragile thing and can be corrupted if for some reason the device decides it wasn't ejected properly.

Everyone is free to do as they choose, but it really might be worth your time to learn to use Calibre in conjunction with your Kobo.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 AM   #13
Katie1
Non-Techy

Nope going to do it my way & that's using the eReaders to do the job they were made for. AND when your PC crashes they You will wish you did too!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:19 AM   #14
Katie1
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Two options that I can think of.

1) Tap and hold on the individual book and select Add to collection. Then select the collection(s) you want the book in.

2) Go to My Collections from the Home screen or Library screen (there is a dropdown where one of the options is My Collections, others are Books, Previews & Articles from Pocket). Tap on the collection. Tap the menu (three lines) option in the bar below the collection name and select Manage collection. Swipe through the library pages putting checkmarks by the books you want to add to the collection.

Hope that makes sense.
Works Great!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 AM   #15
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Quote:
Nope going to do it my way & that's using the eReaders to do the job they were made for. AND when your PC crashes they You will wish you did too!
Not at all. I have multiple on-site and off-site backups. Not to mention the shelves that Calibre has created on my device.

You, however, may regret your choice if you need to reset your Kobo, which is approximately infinitely more likely than my computer becoming unrecoverable while all my backups simultaneously go up in flames and my device chokes. But it's your choice. *waves*
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote