Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
Kobo Aura H2O and Calibre

I have just bought an H2o to replace a dead Sony reader, I have hit two problems. The first is that when i click update meadata i get the message "kobo database version unsupported" the database version is 131and the firmware version 1s(3,19.5761) The suggestion is o tryhe support newer firmware option though this my require a factory reset.
The second issue is colections set up in calibre and transfered into the H2O, I know there is a way to do this but I cannot see how does anyone have a suggestion for how to set up collections in calbre that will transfer when books are moved over

Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD
I'm guessing you did the setup using the Kobo desktop application rather than over WiFi. Or at least have used the Kobo desktop application with the Aura H2O. This has updated the internal database on the device past what is expected. But, if you read the full error message calibre displayed, there are instructions on what to do. While it is a warning, it is safe and will work. The instructions are to open the configuration of the KoboTouch driver, and select the option for "Attempt to support newer firmware". The next version of calibre will support this version of the database, but there are no problems with using the option.

Once you have the above, you can configure the the driver to do collection management. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo...nd_Collections is a good guide to do this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Skillganon
Connoisseur
Skillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to beholdSkillganon is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony prs 600 and T2
Thanks David

that sorted the first problem. I am still having problems with the collections, I have modified calibre to give me a user defined column butI do not seem to be able to get the collectons to ransfer to the device. I went into thekobo plugin and modified it but I could not find a field titled shelf area or any other field that made any difference.
Skillganon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillganon View Post
Thanks David

that sorted the first problem. I am still having problems with the collections, I have modified calibre to give me a user defined column butI do not seem to be able to get the collectons to ransfer to the device. I went into thekobo plugin and modified it but I could not find a field titled shelf area or any other field that made any difference.
I'd suggest reading the sticky at: Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre and the wiki entry at: Kobo Shelves and Collections for more information.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillganon View Post
Thanks David

When those instructions were written, Kobo called them "shelves". And the driver used "shelves" as well. After a while Kobo changed to "collections". I only updated the driver earlier in the year to use collections. The instructions haven't been updated.

All the collections options are on the second tab. There is a section at the top for collections. And the field you are looking for is labelled "Collection Columns".
Advert
Old 12-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #6
albaran
albaran began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O - Nook Touch Glow
"kobo database version unsupported": solved in calibre 2.75
albaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #7
anastasya_21
anastasya_21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi, I am using a Kobo Aura H2O and using calibre and after updating my windows 10 to aniversary edition, calibre cannot read my database in sd card in my kobo and showed this error message in calibre

calibre, version 2.76.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 506, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1694, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
anastasya_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasya_21 View Post
Hi, I am using a Kobo Aura H2O and using calibre and after updating my windows 10 to aniversary edition, calibre cannot read my database in sd card in my kobo and showed this error message in calibre

calibre, version 2.76.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 506, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1694, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file
Can Windows see the device properly? By that I mean does it assign a drive letter and let you browse the drive. If not, there is nothing calibre can do because it is relying on OS functions to access the device. And this was the problem with Window 10 Anniversary Edition. But, MS have released updates since that fix this. Make sure the latest fixes are installed.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I've installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on another computer and it did work with my H2O just fine. I did make sure all the patches were applied before trying my H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:03 AM   #10
anastasya_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on another computer and it did work with my H2O just fine. I did make sure all the patches were applied before trying my H2O.
I've installed the latest update for my Windows 10 Anniversary, however it still does not detect my H2O. The latest windows update is KB
Old 01-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #11
anastasya_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Can Windows see the device properly? By that I mean does it assign a drive letter and let you browse the drive. If not, there is nothing calibre can do because it is relying on OS functions to access the device. And this was the problem with Window 10 Anniversary Edition. But, MS have released updates since that fix this. Make sure the latest fixes are installed.
THe windows do not detect properly the H2O, I cannot open the device drive from windows explorer
Old 01-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
THe windows do not detect properly the H2O, I cannot open the device drive from windows explorer
Does Windows show any error messages when you plug the device in? Does the device appear as a connected device or in Device Manager?

It might not be the Windows version. The usual advice for device not connection are:

- Restart the computer and the device.
- Try a different cable and/or port
- Try a different computer.
- Use USBDeview to delete all references to Kobo devices in the list it displays and then reboot the PC.

Also, what firmware version is the device running?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
anastasya_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Does Windows show any error messages when you plug the device in? Does the device appear as a connected device or in Device Manager?

It might not be the Windows version. The usual advice for device not connection are:

- Restart the computer and the device.
- Try a different cable and/or port
- Try a different computer.
- Use USBDeview to delete all references to Kobo devices in the list it displays and then reboot the PC.

Also, what firmware version is the device running?
It is showed as connected device however when I tried to explore the device from windows explorer the popup message was F:\is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect. The firmware is 3.19.5761
Old 01-07-2017, 08:09 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It is showed as connected device however when I tried to explore the device from windows explorer the popup message was F:\is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect. The firmware is 3.19.5761
Yes, that sounds like the Win10AE problem. But, it is still worth trying the other suggestions. Especially a non-Win10AE machine to prove the device is still OK.

For this machine, there is a long thread discussing the issue here with some ways to workaround the problem. Another thing you can do if you do get it connected on another machine is to install the 4.2 firmware. This has changes that prevent this problem.