Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #1
Schussel
Schussel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Rooted Device - Black & White Switch

When I was working with the Root-Explorer (and somme other apps) the file-names will not be visible, because of white text on a very light background. In the Wiki https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST1_working_apps there is a short comment for the Root-Explorer to switch from 16-color mode to mono.

Where is that switch ?
I haven't found that neither in the Root-Explorer nor somewhere else.

On the Rooting & Tweaks Page https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...ony_homescreen is another tip for "Changing Android menus from White-on-Black to Black-on-White" with a Link www.the-ebook.org Forum, where I can't find anything as well.

Thanks in advance
Schussel

Last edited by Schussel; 08-20-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Better Title
Schussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
d4rk1
d4rk1 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1
I've the same Problem. Did someone find a solution?
d4rk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #3
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Rupor's root installs a black-on-white theme that doesn't work well with many apps. I've had the same problem, so I followed uboot's advice and replaced the rupor-modified /system/framework/framework-res.apk with the original.
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Schussel

Do you know, where to get the original /system/framework/framework-res.apk ?

I tried to extract the file from the IMG-File but it didn't worked for me.

Thanks for a link ;=)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I don't know where it can be downloaded directly.

If you have a backup or restore image in a file (mmcblk2p10.img), you can mount it as a filesystem in Linux:
Code:
mkdir ~/mnt
sudo mount -o loop mmcblk2p10.img ~/mnt
The missing file should be in ~/mnt/framework/framework-res.apk.

Don't forget to unmount the image when finished:
Code:
sudo umount ~/mnt
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #6
Schussel

Quote:
Originally Posted by altruizine View Post
No, I don't know where it can be downloaded directly.

If you have a backup or restore image in a file (mmcblk2p10.img), you can mount it as a filesystem in Linux:
Code:
mkdir ~/mnt
sudo mount -o loop mmcblk2p10.img ~/mnt
The missing file should be in ~/mnt/framework/framework-res.apk.

Don't forget to unmount the image when finished:
Code:
sudo umount ~/mnt

I don't have any access to a Linux-System, so I tried several ISO-Tools like ISObuster, PowerISO, WinMount and other to mount & extract the framework-res.apk but none of them accepted these image-files as a valid image-file.

So, the problen is still unsolved ;=)

Has nobody outthere that file or can extract that for us ?

Thanks again & regards
Schussel
Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #7
altruizine
Senior Altruist

The regular Windows tools won't cut it in this case, unless you find something that can read ext2 filesystem images (Google has many promising hits).

I think the simplest way to mount the image would be on the Reader itself: Copy the image file (mmcblk2p10.img in my case) into the root directory of your internal SD card (READER partition), and make sure the Reader has access to the SD card (and is not in USB drive mode). Then log into the reader and conjure:
Code:
cd /sdcard/
mkdir -p mnt
mount -o loop mmcblk2p10.img /sdcard/mnt
cp mnt/framework/framework-res.apk .
umount /sdcard/mnt
Then copy the resulting framework-res.apk file to /system/framework/framework-res.apk using your favorite method (e.g., using Root Explorer, remounting /system as r/w, etc.). Using the shell, it would look like this:
Code:
cd /sdcard/
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk2p10 /system
cp framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
mount -o remount,ro /dev/block/mmcblk2p10 /system
Beware of typos, I haven't actually tested this last bunch of commands as I'm quite happy with my framework-res.apk, thank you very much.

(Sorry, I personally will not upload copyright-protected material as a matter of principle.)

Last edited by altruizine; 09-03-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Schussel

Hi altruizine,

Thanks for your very detailed description. Finally I thought I got it to work, but unfortunately, i don't ;=(

First I tried an Ubuntu-Live-CD: don't found the drives on PC
Next attempt Knoppix-Live CD: found the drives on PC, but don't found (or showed) the *.IMG image-files
Next attempt ext2fsd program: works with drives, but not with images

Finally I used the very simple way to extract the apk-file from the images with the free portable version of "explore2fsPE" which can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/explore2fspe/

As a basis I took the images which can be found in "porkupan_sdcard-rescue.zip" from the Tweaks-Post here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRST...C_sd_rescue.29
File: https://dev.mobileread.com/dist/uboo...escue_1.04.zip

Maybe I made a mistake with the copying of the framework-res.apk-file but as a result the display just flicker without any possibilty to do anything on it. So my next step is the SD-Card-Recovery with the hope to get it repaired.

Thanks anyway and best regards
Schussel

Last edited by Schussel; 09-06-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
altruizine
Senior Altruist

(Oops, almost missed your edit saying it did not work out. I suggest you post new developments as new replies; otherwise the front page and RSS feeds will not pick up your edit as new.)

Schussel, how unfortunate! The failure mode does not ring a bell; I wonder what the problem is.

Perhaps the apk file was corrupted, or the restore set's is from a different firmware version? My apk (from 1.0.04) has the following md5sum:
Code:
$ md5sum framework-res.apk
a6e8ecc40ad6ec27e096ffab69f43ae9  framework-res.apk
Perhaps you can still access your Reader remotely via adb? Then you could still follow my instructions for extracting the apk file on the reader itself.