Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 AM   #121
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
I've found a few authors from the fifthimperium CDs that I've purchased every new release book since getting hooked on the freebies. I had never heard of Baen before being linked to the CDs, . . .
I generally buy every new release by the authors I found and like in both hardcover and ebook, so they get a double sale now when before they got nothing.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #122
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The forthcoming (already out in ARC) Lord Vorpatril's Alliance is Bujold's first new book since Cryoburn.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #123
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Any idea when it becomes a regularly available ebook?
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #124
jjmgreen
jjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel isjjmgreen really knows where his or her towel is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Around Nov 15-18, 2012.
jjmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #125
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The Hardcover comes out November 15th according to Baen (or Nov. 6th according to Amazon). The eBooks are usually available 2-3 weeks before the Hardcover in my experience. For example Dragon Ship comes out in Hardcover Sept. 1st, but the eBook went live on August 15th.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #126
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
From the Baen FAQ's:
Quote:
How does the Monthly Baen Bundle Program work?

Each novel is published in three segments, one month apart, beginning three months before the actual publication date. Each month, several books are available. For each month purchased, you receive access to a directory containing these books.

Four months before publication, the Ebook is listed as Forthcoming.

Three months before publication, you gain access to the first Half of the books in HTML format.

Two months before publication, you gain access to the first Three Quarters of the books in HTML format.

One month before publication, you receive full access to the final quarter in all seven DRM-free formats, completing the books.

About two weeks after the last quarter is delivered to that month's Monthly Baen Ebook subscribers, bookstores around the country will begin to stock these titles (if the book is new).
Short answer is between the 15th and the 20th of the month prior to the books being in the bookstores. I. E. October Bundle will be out in September between the 15th and 20th.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 08-29-2012 at 06:58 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #127
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
For what it is worth, when I pull the copy from freedoors all but three of the books are corrupted and unreadable in every format i tried (epub/html/prc). Same story from another source. I may try it from home (tried at work yesterday) but don't really expect a different outcome. Another member had also sent me a link to the iso from a different site, but the same problem.

unless it is the software I used to mount the iso as a fake disk drive, might have to try an alternative.
For what it's worth I simply used 7-Zip to extract the files onto my hard drive. Seemed to work, but all I have checked are the files in html. Did not try other formats. Nor did I unpack any of the zip folders.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #128
IPGuy
IPGuy began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I'm an intellectual property attorney so this thread interested me.

The situation seems straightforward to me, assuming that Baen actually had the rights to distribute the CDs and authorize copying Bujold has no LEGAL right to demand that anyone take down the files. (Whether people want to do do out of repect for her wishes is entirely another issue).

The files were licensed under a VERY weak license ("This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold. All commercial rights are reserved. That’s it.") and make no mention of restricting the sharing to single persons rather than the internet. Either she misunderstood what she was signing in which case she should have just been more careful in the future or she truly believes that Baen doesn't have the right to authorize distribution over the internet in which case she should be suing them for damages.

Obviously this is purely for discussion purposes and not legal advice for anyone.
IPGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #129
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPGuy View Post
I'm an intellectual property attorney so this thread interested me.

The situation seems straightforward to me, assuming that Baen actually had the rights to distribute the CDs and authorize copying Bujold has no LEGAL right to demand that anyone take down the files. (Whether people want to do do out of repect for her wishes is entirely another issue).

The files were licensed under a VERY weak license ("This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold. All commercial rights are reserved. That’s it.") and make no mention of restricting the sharing to single persons rather than the internet. Either she misunderstood what she was signing in which case she should have just been more careful in the future or she truly believes that Baen doesn't have the right to authorize distribution over the internet in which case she should be suing them for damages.

Obviously this is purely for discussion purposes and not legal advice for anyone.
From what's been reported here, and elsewhere, nobody made any legal demands. She asked them to take it down, they did. The controversy was over statements she apparently made in Baen's forums, not over how the removal of the ISO was handled.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #130
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPGuy View Post
My personal opinion - and that's all it can be because Bujold and I have had exactly zero interaction on this, or any subject - is that she's either misinformed or delusional (and probably should get a better agent/lawyer).

She's trained people on her mailing list to also refer to my site as 'that pirate site' (not that it's a subject of frequent discussion).

Amusingly, she seems that have no quibbles about people on her mailing list providing direct links for discussion regarding Drake & Flint CDs on my site, but gets prickly if anyone should have stooped to providing links to the Cryoburn CD (which is what prompts me to suggest delusion).
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #131
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
My personal opinion - and that's all it can be because Bujold and I have had exactly zero interaction on this, or any subject - is that she's either misinformed or delusional (and probably should get a better agent/lawyer).

She's trained people on her mailing list to also refer to my site as 'that pirate site' (not that it's a subject of frequent discussion).

Amusingly, she seems that have no quibbles about people on her mailing list providing direct links for discussion regarding Drake & Flint CDs on my site, but gets prickly if anyone should have stooped to providing links to the Cryoburn CD (which is what prompts me to suggest delusion).

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote