Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
What is piracy?

Hello there!

Is simply copying a book for personal use piracy? Or does piracy require commercial gain?

For instance, if I find a decent book in the free bin at a used bookstore and then scan it into my ereader, is that piracy? Would it be piracy if I were to scan the printed book into my ereader non-destructively and then return the printed book to the free bin?

Would an act of piracy occur if I were to take the scanned ebook I obtained from the free bin and upload it to a free ebook distribution site?

Have a nice day!
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Hello there!

Is simply copying a book for personal use piracy? Or does piracy require commercial gain?

For instance, if I find a decent book in the free bin at a used bookstore and then scan it into my ereader, is that piracy? Would it be piracy if I were to scan the printed book into my ereader non-destructively and then return the printed book to the free bin?

Would an act of piracy occur if I were to take the scanned ebook I obtained from the free bin and upload it to a free ebook distribution site?

Have a nice day!
all by the letter of the law are piracy.
the first I would ignore
the second a bit grey, I wouldnt do but doubt I would look down on somebody else for doing it
the last one is out and out piracy and I wouldnt do it or agree with anybody doing it.
But as I said by the letter of the law each is as evil as the other.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Depends on where you live. Atleast in Finland you are allowed to make a few copies to your close relatives and friends. Unless you are circumventing "strong" copyprotection, altough no one has an idea what this strong copy protection is.

Copying material to personal use from legimitate source as in legal copy shouldn't be an issue. Copying from illegal source might be, but usual isn't enforced such as Internet.

Distribution or making work available is the real piracy, if it's copyrighted and you don't have rights to do it. This is the one also enforced.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Somebody is financing that supposedly free ebook distribution site, and at some point in the chain they are seeking commercial gain.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
What is Piracy
?

A concept invented by greedy copyright owners.
Power is knowledge and it should be free.
Sharing is caring.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
?
Sharing is caring.
1) Those would be the authors who put blood, sweat & tears into producing the book you want to read, then ?
And daring to want to earn something from their work.......
Without these "greedy" (and artistic, a lot of the time) types, you wouldn't have anything to read.......

2) Are we talking about, say, an SF fantasy epic series, crime novel, children's book, Zombie apoc tome, here, being the power or the knowledge ?

3) I can think of quite a few instances where sharing might not necessarily be very caring, a lot of the unsuitable for a mention on a family forum like what this is (!).
But perhaps "sharing" the floor plans of the Pentagon, or our Houses of Parliament, with the Taliban might fall a little short of the right sort of "caring" ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Post deleted. I decided not to get drawn into this .... discussion again.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
Something to do with violently seizing ships and cargo, IIRC.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

This post sounds almost like a troll for discussion - no offense meant.

Submitting an ebook to a distribution site may well qualify as piracy, depending on its copyright status and any notices about rights to distribution. I think it is safe to submit a copy of "Alice in Wonderland" to any distribution site you want, as long as your copy does not have copywrited addendums or annotations in it. Submission of a free ebook obtained from Kindle might be an offense if the copyright is still in effect.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Gives a whole new meaning to "stonetools".
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
?

Sharing is caring.
You are just greedy for wanting others to work for you for free. How about sharing with authors?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Post deleted. I decided not to get drawn into this .... discussion again.

Good idea but look on the bright side, it looks like G is running out of trolling ideas...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
zxybangla
zxybangla began at the beginning.

Device: none
support

i support Giggleton comment
zxybangla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #15
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post

Good idea but look on the bright side, it looks like G is running out of trolling ideas...
Look at the other bright side, the more time he spends here the less time he has reading pirated books.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote