Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 06-16-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
faie
faie began at the beginning.

Device: TH55/T610
World's First Mobile Virus

I remember getting hoaxes via e-mail about mobile phone viruses a few years back. Well, here comes the real thing:

According to Reuters, a group of underground virus writers has showed off what is believed to be the world's first worm, named Cabir, that can spread on advanced mobile phones. However, security software companies say the virus had no malicious code attached. This is the first version of a network worm which propagates via mobile phones. The worm is designed to work in smartphones running on Symbian and Series 60 software, Symantec said on its Web site. Nokia, however, was not immediately available to comment.

The worm is not regarded as dangerous because even if it spreads it carries no code that destroys files or executes other damaging operations, the security software firms said. The virus attempts to jump from phone to phone by using the handset's wireless short-range Bluetooth connection. It scans the environment for other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Once it has found one, it sends itself disguised as a security file. The file must be accepted by the mobile phone owner and then installed before it can propagate.

A spokesman at London-based technology firm Symbian said that, unlike personal computers, it was not possible to penetrate the software of its smartphones without approval. "But we can never say it's not going to be possible. Smartphones have been designed... as open, programmable networked devices," he said, adding that users should be careful before accepting to install new software.

In view of this development, could the existence of a malicious, handphone crippling worm be too far behind??
Old 06-17-2004, 02:56 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think the main problem is that as mobile phones become more powerful, they'll also become bigger targets for troublemakers. First spam via SMS, now Viruses via Bluetooth.

On the other hand, from what I've read a potential victim's phone will display multiple warnings when Cabir attempts to infect it. So be cautious, and you'll be save (for now).

If your phone does get hit with Cabir, you can find the removal instructions at Symantec's website: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...poc.cabir.html
Advert
Old 06-17-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Any known relief for the James Joyce cell virus?

Btw, happy belated Bloomsday to all.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #4
UnknownZ
UnknownZ began at the beginning.

I thought SMS virus already out about 2 or 3 years ago? I even got infected too on my Siemens SL 45 mobile phone. Someone sent me an SMS message with some code that I don't understand, and after that, it locked some of my mobile phone keypads. Then, I phoned the person who sent me that unknown SMS, and he said that he did not know that he sent me that SMS message.