Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle
Kobo > Kindle > Nook ??

So I have my Kindle Fire and love it, and also have a Nook Color and like it as well, I been hearing so much about the "Kobo" but I wanted some more information etc. I'm sure I could do the research all myself and find anything out about it, but I wanted to discuss it with members here and get real input on the device etc. As far as reading goes, what main app does the Kobo use? Kindle App Available on it? Is it an Android device? What other market place app's can I get? All Android market normal stuff? I love reading these emotobooks as well as my wife. But I want to make sure before buying another e-reader what the pro's and con's are of the device itself. Is it worth it? Or are my Kindle and Nook just fine? Discuss, gimmie some input and let's chat about it
Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I believe you are looking for Kobo Vox info and if so you'll be better off posting in the Vox sub-forum of the Kobo forum (at top). Otherwise you're going to get all kinds of answers which don't apply to it.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Santos
Avid Reader
Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Santos can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Well, I would like input on all the devices at least. See the pro's and con's of all the different devices. See what would better suit me.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
The Vox is an Android reading tablet much like your Nook Color and Kindle Fire. It has it's own section within the Kobo Reader threads. All the other Kobo devices are e-ink and that is what this part of the site discusses.
Are you looking for comparisons of e-ink versus tablet?
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
As already said, you can't really compare the Kobo Touch to the Kobo Vox. It'd be like comparing the iPad to the iPod. Both have their place but the comparison is obvious. The Kobo Touch is just an eReader: epubs, kepubs, and PDFs. No music, no video, no apps. No colour screen, just an eInk screen that works great for reading eBooks. It's great at what it does but it ain't no tablet.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
Santos
Avid Reader

Ahh thank you both. See, I know nothing about the Kobo.. I have done zero research. But now I know. I will have to look at both, then come back and post in the right section on what device I would maybe want to snag.

Already leaning towards the Vox then since it's Android. I know nothing about "e-ink" Gonna have to read about it and see what it's all about.

Thanks though guys, for the help.

The only main concern I have in getting a new tablet, is, the requirement that it will be able to read pdf files, so I can still read emotobooks and other ebooks. If I can't read on the tablet, the things I want to read, then it's useless to me. I'm not interesting in all the other apps, they are just a bonus. I would just get a new laptop lol
Old 05-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Tech wise the Vox is about on par with your Nook Color. I haven't seen anything yet, but I'd assume they'll eventually introduce a new version more on par with the Kindle Fire and Nook Tablet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have used Kobo Touch to read PDF books and it works good for having only 6" eink screen. Kobo Touch much faster processor than Kobo wifi makes this usable but not great. Sony TRS-T1 reflows text and has pinch zoom making it a little better for reading some PDF books. Some PDF books and documents or comics really require larger color screens to get full experience. Advantage of black and white e-ink screen is battery can last for days to weeks of reading in full sun light.

Which one should I buy?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

This site has good reviews on tablets and ereaders.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Santos
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
I have used Kobo Touch to read PDF books and it works good for having only 6" eink screen. Kobo Touch much faster processor than Kobo wifi makes this usable but not great. Sony TRS-T1 reflows text and has pinch zoom making it a little better for reading some PDF books. Some PDF books and documents or comics really require larger color screens to get full experience. Advantage of black and white e-ink screen is battery can last for days to weeks of reading in full sun light.

Which one should I buy?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=123

This site has good reviews on tablets and ereaders.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/
Well for example, "Lingering in the Woods" an Emotosingle has artwork in it during the story, so color isnt a must. and only a 6 inch screen won't cut it. Bigger screen = Win. I don't know. Will just have to do research I guess. Might not get any at all, just wanted to see what else was out there other then the Kindle/Nook

Last edited by Santos; 05-24-2012 at 04:10 PM.