Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
InDesign CS5.5 font embedding problem

I have some InDesign files that I need to convert to epub. When I attempt to convert I get the message "4 fonts ( name of fonts) are not allowed to be embedded". I'm in OS X and need to figure out a way to do this.

Any help?

RD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iddmsg.png
Views:	392
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	86500  
ralphiedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please post in the correct forum. I've moved this to the ePub forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The message appears to be self-explanatory: you're using fonts which are not licensed to be embedded. The solution is to use fonts which can be embedded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
ralphiedee
Zealot
ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.ralphiedee is no ebook tyro.

I could understand if they were some weird fonts, but the fonts that are listed are Times T1(bold), (italic) and (roman) those fonts are standard, this is what I do not understand.

??
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Apparently the fonts are old Type 1 fonts. I found this at Adobe which could address your issue:
http://www.adobe.com/type/opentype/T1_to_OTF_FAQ.htm

I don't know enough about fonts to be clear on what can be embedded, but some proprietary fonts can only be used on your computer, and not embedded elsewhere. That would be like giving away copyrighted material.

As Harry suggested, it appears you will have to use other fonts.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
ralphiedee
Zealot

Ah! Now I understand, finally! So, I have a lot of these Ind to EPub projects coming up. So to save time I need to let the client know NOT to use Type 1 fonts.

Now I'll read up and see the easiest route to convert from type 1 to open type.

thx!

RD
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Better yet, do not embed fonts unless they are needed (for some decorative reason, or to ensure some particular characters are available).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It is not a TTF vs OTF issue. It is that the font is set not to allow embedding. If you want to embed fonts, Charis SIL is a very popular and free font. Also, it does look good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote