Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
johey
johey began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Max2 Pro and M92
Boox M92 suitable for musical score sheets?

Hello,

I am considering buying a Boox M92. My main purpose is to use it for musical score sheets. Has anybody used it for this?

The sheets can be anything from copied copys of handwritten originals finally scanned to a highly compressed pdf, or it can be a digital export from a program like MuseScore. I have three conserns:
  1. Is the screen big enough for displaying a score sheet which normally is made for A4?
  2. Is page swapping quick enough when reading scores while you play?
  3. How well does the M92 do the job of displaying a bad quality scan?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
johey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by johey View Post
Hello,

I am considering buying a Boox M92. My main purpose is to use it for musical score sheets. Has anybody used it for this?

The sheets can be anything from copied copys of handwritten originals finally scanned to a highly compressed pdf, or it can be a digital export from a program like MuseScore. I have three conserns:
  1. Is the screen big enough for displaying a score sheet which normally is made for A4?
  2. Is page swapping quick enough when reading scores while you play?
  3. How well does the M92 do the job of displaying a bad quality scan?

Thanks in advance for any opinions!
I have no idea about reading notes, let alone playing instruments. But here's what i think
  1. I have difficulty reading a4 pages displayed on boox's 9.7 inch screen (which in fact is something like b5). I need to enlarge them to 200% and then pan around using joystick, which may work while playing or not, i don'tknow (joystick "knob" is rather small)
  2. In most cases it should be.
  3. Very well.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
The printable area on a DIN A4 is typically ca. 170mm x 260mm while the M92 has 148mm x 210mm. While most books (including non-fiction) are not DIN A4 or the margin is at least significantly larger, the M92 is sufficient for this purpose (print magazines are often problematic). Sheet music often comes in "real" DIN A4 format or even bigger and with a pretty small margin: e.g. the German publisher Henle has a printed area of around 195mm x 260mm - that's much too big for the M92.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=201203110398rk7g.jpg
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=20120324041z4kdo.jpg

But for the rest, the M92 is perfectly okay: Once you get used to pressing a button instead of really turning a page, this gesture is okay and the delay is not too long. Besides that the M92 doesn't have any problems displaying (poorly) scanned pdfs or pdfs that are directly exported from software like MuseScore. (I'm using sheet music from imslp.org and never had problems with my M92.)

I only use the M92 to look up sheet music that I can play already. For learning a new piece I always use printed sheet music, because it's significantly larger and feels better for my eyes. After having learned a new piece I put the printed sheet music in an archive. Afterwards it's usually faster and easier to access the sheet music on my M92 whenever I need to glance into the notes because I forgot how to play a certain passage.

Last edited by tuxor; 10-11-2012 at 03:20 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I do not play music.

I would add my opinion to
1) Is the screen big enough for displaying a score sheet which normally is made for A4?

If you can read A4 photocopied to A5 then most probably M92 should be OK. (To my opinion.) It is more about your eyesight ability than about M92 display ability.

Also, M92 allows landscape reading mode. A4 would fit almost 1:1, but only half of the page. If you do not need to see many voices or instruments at once, it could be OK. You would have to scroll twice every page. I do not know if it is a problem.

Well, if the music is printed landscape the above wouldn't help....

Last edited by Mono; 10-11-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
johey
johey began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Max2 Pro and M92
Thank you for the replies! It sounds like the M92 would be pretty helpful for my purpose, although not perfect but still good enough.

Especially thank you tuxor for the photos! It is good to know that you find it useful for sheets of music you need only for support. I believe I too rather practise with printings, but I'm fine with that.

Time to buy then...
johey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I am of the opinion that the screen is a bit small. However, if you have software to create a new pdf made for the smaller screen then you should be ok. You will just have more page turns.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote