Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Breaking down the sci-fi genre

I have always thought that there are four types of sci-fi books. Past - where someone from our time frame goes to earth's past for example TV's Land of the Lost; Present - where some one from the future or the past arrives in our time frame (I do not have an example of this); future - someone from our time frame goes to the future or someone from our past goes to the future (the classic novel the time machine is a good example here); and future/future - when someone from our future moves around within our future - star treck does this all the time. Can you come up with additional examples of each? What is your critique of my analysis.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You missed Present day: Characters in our present, story takes place in the present, but with technology involved that is beyond our present technology (examples, Men in Black, Torchwood, James Bond (pre-Craig) movies, Doc Savage, Johnny Quest).

Other than that, pretty good breakdown, though it seems to assume time travel in your scenarios. I'd say most sci-fi is either stories that take place in the present, with present-day characters, or in the future, with future characters... time travel is a common trope, but not predominant.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Misses entire sub-genres like Alternate histories, crosstime travel, stories about alien societies without humans...

Heinlein preferred to classify stories as:
- What if...
- If only...
- If this goes on...
- The little tailor...

The genre can be analyzed a zillion diferent ways and all are equally valid. More or less.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Present - where some one from the future or the past arrives in our time frame (I do not have an example of this)
Sticking with your TV examples, The Second Hundred Years (ABC, 1967-1968).
A man is frozen in 1900 Alaska and thawed out in 1967. He goes to live with his Son and Grandson. His Son looks like his Grandfather.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Misses entire sub-genres like Alternate histories, crosstime travel, stories about alien societies without humans...

Heinlein preferred to classify stories as:
- What if...
- If only...
- If this goes on...
- The little tailor...

The genre can be analyzed a zillion diferent ways and all are equally valid. More or less.
Universes with no humans at all, etc... e.g. The Clockwork Rocket
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
I have always thought that there are four types of sci-fi books. Past - where someone from our time frame goes to earth's past for example TV's Land of the Lost; Present - where some one from the future or the past arrives in our time frame (I do not have an example of this); future - someone from our time frame goes to the future or someone from our past goes to the future (the classic novel the time machine is a good example here); and future/future - when someone from our future moves around within our future - star treck does this all the time. Can you come up with additional examples of each? What is your critique of my analysis.
Just some thoughts... I think you might be a bit over obsessed with trying to find broad time based categories. Sure many, if not most science fiction stories will fit into one of these categories, but they don't necessarily tell you a lot about the story otherwise. For example, stories set 100 years in the future and stories set 100,000 years in the future both might fit in the same one of your categories, but that doesn't mean they are at all alike.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
There is also steampunk and cyberpunk Sci. Fi. Not to mention stories where robots and humans interact and the stories where a discovery is made and through some quirk of human nature it is lost to mankind again.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I got so flustered trying to categorise my mostly SciFi book collection by tags etc I just gave up and made them all "Science Fiction". There are so many sub genres and mixed sub genres I was getting a headache :P
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #9
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
For me, the biggest problem with your labels (aside from missing alternate history) is that I don't find the labels very *useful*. I think that labels should help in meaningfully classifying the work, and I think that these labels aren't really that helpful in doing that.

Let's take Star Trek as an example. It is set in the future, but what it's really about is humans encountering aliens and refining what it means to be human. (When SF is about something, it's always about the present.) Star Trek's future is really kind of abstract and vague - we know next to nothing about human society, for example. But that does't really matter: the future tech in ST is pretty much just a vehicle to take the crew to different alien encounters.

Maybe think of this as human vs alien.

Other SF takes place in a much more detailed future, and it tends to be about what it's like to live in a future where X happens. I.e., people can be cloned; the police can read your mind; civilization has collapsed; only 1 in 10 women are fertile; etc. The focus of this kind of sf is about how humans would react in this kind of environment. Maybe this is human vs. future.

Alternate past stories are like an experiment where you've changed a variable. I.e., we know what happened historically, but what would society look like 70 years after WWII if the Nazis had won. Again, this is about the human response when the stimulus changes.
Some time travel fits into this category, too - those stories where the protagonists have to adjust to living in the past for some time period, for example.

We could call these human vs. past.

There is also a large body of SF that is not really "about" anything...or at least that doesn't use the trappings of SF to be about anything.

"Star Wars" is like this - it is an adventure story that is set in the future, but whatever themes it has (honor? loyalty? growing up?) don't really have much to do with the setting.

Some military science fiction falls into the "adventure" category, too (most David Weber, I think), but some doesn't - "The Forever War".

There may be a few more categories, but those are my initial thoughts on this.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Categorizing by time period really doesn't tell much. It's like naming current setting books with categories Europe, Asia, Africa, America, Australia and other.

Sci-Fi is overly large umbrella, even just time travel to past can be named as such... There is large amount of sub-genres or even regular genres which can be done under Sci-Fi, so labeling isn't realy easy or in some cases doable...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
Sci-Fi is overly large umbrella, even just time travel to past can be named as such... There is large amount of sub-genres or even regular genres which can be done under Sci-Fi, so labeling isn't realy easy or in some cases doable...
Or necessary.
The only categorization I do for my Books is by author, alphabetically.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post

"Star Wars" is like this - it is an adventure story that is set in the future,
Actually its set " A long time ago..."
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Or necessary.
The only categorization I do for my Books is by author, alphabetically.
I use:
Finnish, not Finnish ;D
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
you need to read more.

BTW, all fiction happens in some time frame. Time is not an interesting way to classify genres...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Actually its set " A long time ago..."
It's set in my future.

But I've already said too much...
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote