Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
mjb100
mjb100 began at the beginning.

Device: None
iPhone to kindle (data transfer)

Hi , I'm a newbie (Australia) trying to decide which kindle to get. I know I definitely want to be able to download books anywhere as I'm certainly not a homebody and hence not always near my computer. What I want to know is if I don't get a 3G kindle can I download/purchase books for kindle on my iPhone (which is 3G) & somehow transfer the purchase then & there across to the kindle? If so do I just need a simple cable such as a USB etc? Many thanks in advance people.
Last edited by mjb100; Today at 12:07 AM. Reason: Add tags
mjb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb100 View Post
What I want to know is if I don't get a 3G kindle can I download/purchase books for kindle on my iPhone (which is 3G) & somehow transfer the purchase then & there across to the kindle?
No, you won't be able to do that. You can certainly buy books using your iPhone, but you'd have to read them on the phone too until you got to someplace with WiFi available if your Kindle doesn't have 3G.

Although you can have the books in your Amazon account on multiple devices the books are encoded to each device. Also AFAIK the iPhone's locked in a way that would prevent this anyway (unless it's rooted/jail broken). Even if you could download the book encoded to the Kindle device with Safari and somehow access it with a jailbroken phone I don't believe the iPhone's set up to be a USB host for other devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
I don't think there's a way to transfer books directly from the iPhone to the Kindle. But you should be able to tether Kindle to the iPhone and download the books directly to the Kindle.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote