Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: do you like kite?
yes 55 85.94%
no 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #46
reposed
reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.reposed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Left as a student exercise perhaps?
I can't figure this out. I've been reading blogs about how to rename files and can't understand it. Is there anyway you could make me one? I would be forever grateful...
reposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #47
raposinho
raposinho began at the beginning.

Device: DXG;3gb
Hi,
Does it works with DXG 2.5.8?
Can it be made to work with?
I have launchpad but would be great if i could launch programs as KITE allows us to in DXG.

Thanks

Last edited by raposinho; 06-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.
raposinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #48
salvoilgirovago
salvoilgirovago began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Hi

I'm italian sorry for the bad english.
I've got a kindle 4 and I should be install it as a script but i don't understand how i do that. can somebody tell me how ?
Thank you so much and sorry for the noob
salvoilgirovago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #49
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvoilgirovago View Post
Hi

I'm italian sorry for the bad english.
I've got a kindle 4 and I should be install it as a script but i don't understand how i do that. can somebody tell me how ?
Thank you so much and sorry for the noob
In scratch, you need to connect to kindle over ssh and run that script there.
See wiki. Are you sure, you really need kite? Because it's so far useful for developers only...
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #50
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, I wouldn't exactly say so. It's a viable alternative to start hacks which typically would otherwise e.g. launchpad. But it is an application that doesn't serve a purpose on its own. It's a launcher, so chosing to run it should be a second thought after deciding _what_ to launch with it.

Although it states that it is fit for the Kindle 3, I think hostar stated it would work on a K4NT. I'm not sure if the installation process is really tailored for a K4NT, so YMMV.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #51
salvoilgirovago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
In scratch, you need to connect to kindle over ssh and run that script there.
See wiki. Are you sure, you really need kite? Because it's so far useful for developers only...
i managed to connect kindle over ssh. So I only copy the two phrases

# gzip -d kite.gz
# sh kite

after gaining root access with putty ?
I've tried to do that but it didn't work
Old 06-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #52
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There are success reports of using kite on K4, but it required manual installation.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #53
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvoilgirovago View Post
i managed to connect kindle over ssh. So I only copy the two phrases

# gzip -d kite.gz
# sh kite

after gaining root access with putty ?
I've tried to do that but it didn't work
First you need to access into directory you copied "kite.gz" into.
For example, if you copied into root directory when Kindle was connected in standard USB userstore mode, type:

cd /mnt/us/

Or for example for "documents" directory:

cd /mnt/us/documents/

Just a note - the initiating "#" is just a sign you are in ssh.
You need to write commands without #.

When you will be in proper directory, execute:

gzip -d kite.gz
sh kite

as you wrote.

geekmaster: in fact, kite is only way at Kindle 4NT, which provide easily execution 3rd part things without ssh.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #54
salvoilgirovago

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
First you need to access into directory you copied "kite.gz" into.
For example, if you copied into root directory when Kindle was connected in standard USB userstore mode, type:

cd /mnt/us/

Or for example for "documents" directory:

cd /mnt/us/documents/

Just a note - the initiating "#" is just a sign you are in ssh.
You need to write commands without #.

When you will be in proper directory, execute:

gzip -d kite.gz
sh kite

as you wrote.

geekmaster: in fact, kite is only way at Kindle 4NT, which provide easily execution 3rd part things without ssh.

thanks for the answer
well at the begin i've used putty for the screensaver hack and I've used the command mntroot rw successfully ... But I've tried to do that again but it doesn't work ... perhaps I made some mistakes trying the hack in this page

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking

but now i don't know what to do ...
thanks for the answer
P.S
thanks hostar I understand how to install kite
Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #55
uwndrd
uwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-booksuwndrd has learned how to read e-books

Device: K3, K4, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Hi,
One issue I am having is that scripts in the kite folder launches randomly after boot or after unplug. For example, mplayer would start playing byitself on boot, of K3Chess would be launched. There is nothing in the onboot or onplug folder.
I have the same problem. Had since the first install, but it didn't bother me since i've only used CoolReader. Now i've tried to use some collection generation scripts and ended up nearly in bootloop since the script reboots framework.
uwndrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #56
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have tested this on the kindle touch and although it installs fine I can't seem to find the kite folder. I know kite is in the sbin folder and ever time I run it I get the error.
Quote:
kite: error while loading shared libraries: libdirectfb-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
From what I see it's a missing lib which should be an easy fix (copy the lib from the kindle 4?). Has anyone else tried to install this on the Kindle 5(touch)? If so have did they get it working?

P.S. - I only tried it because one of the post says that it should be possible. Also I ran the installer script not the install file.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #57
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
i'm having the issue a couple of people mentioned that occasionally on reboot it will run one of the scripts (currently for me that's just coolreader3 so no disaster). running it on a kindle 4.

apart from that, it seems great, thanks!
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titano View Post
I have tested this on the kindle touch and although it installs fine I can't seem to find the kite folder. I know kite is in the sbin folder and ever time I run it I get the error.
From what I see it's a missing lib which should be an easy fix (copy the lib from the kindle 4?). Has anyone else tried to install this on the Kindle 5(touch)? If so have did they get it working?

P.S. - I only tried it because one of the post says that it should be possible. Also I ran the installer script not the install file.
From the name, more likely just a missing symbolic link.
Check that all the links for libdirectfb are correct, add them if missing.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #59
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
From the name, more likely just a missing symbolic link.
Check that all the links for libdirectfb are correct, add them if missing.
I though the same thing at first to but after about an hour of trying to use the find command or just looking around the file system I could not find anything that is a match. Their are some close ones like libfb for x11 that might work and other things that could be frame buffers but no directfb. I know I must be doing something wrong.... I just don't know what. Has anyone else had success with this on the kindle touch?

P.S. - Here are all the files I could find that were close.
Quote:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadowfb.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/linux/libfbdevhw.so

Last edited by Titano; 08-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #60
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think the KTouch would bring DirectFB at all - with the X server in place there wouldn't be much reason to do so. But weren't there other launchers for the KTouch?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote