Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Odd anchor links in purchased books

I'm trying to tidy up some of my purchased books as they have terrible OCR errors and have noticed that many of them contain what looks like anchor links repeatedly throughout the books. Here's an example of one:

Code:
<a id="page25"/>
Note: the number keeps increasing sequentially.

I'm not sure I can see what the point of them are as I cannot find any reference to their use anywhere in the books.

What I have discovered is that where I see them, they match the start of the page in the paperback books I have of them.

So, is there any point in keeping them in? Or should I just remove them all?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Then remove them if they don't point anywhere. The e-book was probably converted from PDF (which uses a fixed-page layout) and the links somehow got transferred. You say you paid money for this book? Sounds like a botched job to me... Wait a minute. Wasn't there some kind of DRM applied? Maybe the DRM stripping messed something up.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DRM? What DRM?

This is not the result of any DRM removal process, as they only appear on books by one particular author - David Eddings. I suspect you are right and they were converted from fixed layout PDF's.

So far all his books that I own (I've got the lot except for Regina's Song) have an absolutely stupendus amount of OCR errors: missing full stops, missing commas, inconsistant use of dashes, spelling errors, new lines being created mid-sentence, paragraphs merging together, etc.

I've been making notes on my T1 for each issue as I come across them, but unfortunately my T1 has told me that I can't create any more notes as it's out of memory for them. Not good as I'm only about a 100 pages into the book.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If there is no reference to the anchors, you can safely remove them. But they will probably not harm either (unless they could affect searches in some program). I would leave the anchors in, they can be useful in the future if you want to compare with paper versions or something.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
ghostyjack
Guru

Thanks guys, they might be useful to keep in.
Advert