Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
Jinnai
Jinnai began at the beginning.

Device: none
Convertible tablet

I'm looking for one of these as it looks like most of the slate tablets out have very little HD space. I want to be able to run some low-intensity apps such as Hero Lab and some visual novels on it as well as reading manga and if possible videos.

Requirements:
- x86 processor (QEMU isn't really an option when a lot of what I want to run would require x86)
- atleast 2 cores (the cost for single core is about the same)
- non-hinge design (i don't like the single point of failure)
- on the lower end of $300 (i don't mind having something that is a couple generations old as aside from video, i wouldn't be using it for anything resource intensive. The key thing is that I must be able to find it. Some older convertible models don't exist for sale on the net except as parts).

Preferable:
- Windows XP or 7 (if not I believe most of the stuff I can run can use Wine...I don't know about Hero Lab though).

Last edited by Jinnai; 12-28-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Jinnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
What do you mean by "non hinge"? And convertible is going to have a hinge.

http://www.amazon.com/T101MT-EU17-BK...5097594&sr=8-1

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
kamizase
Connoisseur
kamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litterkamizase doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Dell Inspiron Duo:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...t.43896.0.html
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt
kamizase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Bit more than $300 though.

BOb
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Jinnai

There are also some sliding models out there. The ones coming out this year are obviously more than ~300. I was looking at the Acer C210 (a few years old, but for what I was planning to use it for fine) which was sliding model but it exists only as parts on the net. Even craiglist doesn't have anything for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What do you mean by "non hinge"? And convertible is going to have a hinge.

http://www.amazon.com/T101MT-EU17-BK...5097594&sr=8-1

BOb
The hinge is very suscpetable to breakage.
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
- on the lower end of $300 (i don't mind having something that is a couple generations old as aside from video, i wouldn't be using it for anything resource intensive. The key thing is that I must be able to find it. Some older convertible models don't exist for sale on the net except as parts).

Ebay is your friend. Searching for "tablet pc" will - besides a lot of "real" tablets - bring up some very good devices. Brands are HP, Fujitsu (Siemens), Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad, to name just a few. Keep patience, follow the offers carefully (it always involves a risk buying used electronics) and you will find what you're looking for.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
You aren't going to get this for under $300, I'm afraid. These things were never very popular so there aren't many out there. However, I am not sure why you need a convertible. Why not just get an android tablet with USB port and then connect it to an external? How much storage space are you looking for anyway?

However, it is true that using Android would make you unable to use a lot of apps, like the visual novels. Though, I find for visual novels, since the interface is pretty simple, remote desktopping works decently.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Jinnai

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
You aren't going to get this for under $300, I'm afraid. These things were never very popular so there aren't many out there. However, I am not sure why you need a convertible. Why not just get an android tablet with USB port and then connect it to an external? How much storage space are you looking for anyway?

However, it is true that using Android would make you unable to use a lot of apps, like the visual novels. Though, I find for visual novels, since the interface is pretty simple, remote desktopping works decently.
Andoirds on the market today are all ARM devices and remote desktopping isn't always viable. If there was an x86 Android device around ~300 I'd consider it as Wine can run most visual novels fine.

Last edited by Jinnai; 12-30-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Buy a tablet then buy a Portable Keyboard & mouse for it!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
You could try a Win7 tablet, but it's not going to cost anywhere near $300. Around $700 is the lowest I've seen for those.

I'd actually wait for Win8 to come out. Then maybe there will be more Windows tablets because of metro, although I'm not sure how many will be x86.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
You could try a Win7 tablet, but it's not going to cost anywhere near $300. Around $700 is the lowest I've seen for those.

I'd actually wait for Win8 to come out. Then maybe there will be more Windows tablets because of metro, although I'm not sure how many will be x86.
The Tablets (at least the ARM ones) will not be able to run the Windows 8 desktop mode... only Metro WinRT apps afaik.

BOb