Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
Do I pay to email to my kindle?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00375630&#fees

Reading this page left me a bit confused. I have several .mobi books from oreilly.com that I want to use on my kindle. If I email to myname@kindle.com do I pay for this? Do I pay when I download (sync from my kindle)?
Do I then pay if on 3g I archive the item while using the kindle to my personal documents on amazon?

And as per the last question, if I just move via usb from my pc to the kindle and later archive the item do I pay?

I am sure the info is all there but I am just a little confused, if anyone with experience could chime it.

Thanks and merry xmas.
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If you send something via 3G to your Kindle (via email), it costs .15/mb. If you use the USB cable, it doesn't cost anything. Wi-fi is also free.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
You can always use your "myname@free.kindle.com" email to force it to only download via wi-fi. If you send it this way you will never pay.

When you have a book on your kindle that you transferred via USB there is no archive option, it will only delete from kindle.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
susan_cassidy and Ajax are right, but to explain a bit more or differently:

At www.amazon.com, in the Kindle Store, there is a Manage My Kindle interface in which you can set the maximum desired 3G transfer fee. Then, anything below that amount will wait for a WiFi connection. Being a relatively patient and thrifty person, I set the maximum transfer fee to $0.00. As a result, my transfers always wait for WiFi availability.

The idea of @free.kindle.com is to let you dictate that an individual transfer waits for WiFi, even if your transfer limit is high enough so it would normally go out right away on 3G. I've read on this site that Amazon was phasing out @free.kindle.com for new Kindle registrations, but maybe it is still available. If you set the maximum transfer fee to $0.00, @kindle.com and @free.kindle.com will work identically.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-25-2011 at 10:54 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #5
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

thanks guys I guess the moral is just buy from amazon and avoid these headaches.
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
thanks guys I guess the moral is just buy from amazon and avoid these headaches.
Just go your Manage your Kindle page and under personal document settings set the document limit to zero and you will never have to worry paying for anything through 3G it will go straight to WiFi and you don't need to use the Free address just your normal Kindle one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If you send something via 3G to your Kindle (via email), it costs .15/mb. If you use the USB cable, it doesn't cost anything. Wi-fi is also free.
I would like to clarify that: It's 15 US cent / MB for US customers downloading when in the US. I believe it's 99 US cent / MB outside the US.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
bluerfoot
Zealot

so even though it says $250 since it is not enabled I should never pay for personal documents being delivered or archived since it will just go over wifi with wispernet "not enabled" correct?

Whispernet Delivery Options
You can change document delivery options for your Kindle devices or set the maximum charge for a single personal document sent wirelessly over Whispernet to your Kindle with 3G support. Personal documents exceeding the maximum charge will not incur a fee and will only be available for delivery via Wi-Fi or USB transfer. Learn more
Whispernet Delivery Over 3G (Fees Apply) Maximum Charge Limit Actions
Not enabled $ 2.50 Edit
Old 12-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
so even though it says $250 since it is not enabled I should never pay for personal documents being delivered or archived since it will just go over wifi with wispernet "not enabled" correct?
That's correct.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
susan_cassidy and Ajax are right, but to explain a bit more or differently:

At www.amazon.com, in the Kindle Store, there is a Manage My Kindle interface in which you can set the maximum desired 3G transfer fee. Then, anything below that amount will wait for a WiFi connection. Being a relatively patient and thrifty person, I set the maximum transfer fee to $0.00. As a result, my transfers always wait for WiFi availability.

The idea of @free.kindle.com is to let you dictate that an individual transfer waits for WiFi, even if your transfer limit is high enough so it would normally go out right away on 3G. I've read on this site that Amazon was phasing out @free.kindle.com for new Kindle registrations, but maybe it is still available. If you set the maximum transfer fee to $0.00, @kindle.com and @free.kindle.com will work identically.
I had no idea. Thank you for this concise summary!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote