Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 05-12-2004, 03:04 PM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Sony Vaio VGN-U70 - e-book reader for the rich?

Just a month ago, Sony launched the Librié 1000-EP, arguably the world's first true electronic book. Now, it unveils its second coup: a keyboardless PC which is not a Tablet PC, but the world's smallest full-function Windows PC, a pen-operated, wireless-enabled computer pitched at mobile media consumers.

According to The Register, driving the U70 is a 1GHz Ultra-low Voltage Pentium M and Intel's i855GM integrated chipset - so yes, it's a Centrino machine. And, indeed, we find the machine has an 802.11g Wi-Fi adaptor built in. It also has a 20GB hard drive and 512MB of memory. There's a USB 2.0 port, and CompactFlash and MemoryStick Pro ports for expansion. The unit is powered by a slimline Lithium Polymer battery capable of providing around two-and-a-half hours' operating time. Japanese consumers will be able to up that to 5.5 hours, courtesy of an alternative, 'extended' battery. But it added 145g to the weight.

The size of the screen is five inches, which stands somewhere between a regular PDA and a Tablet PC. Since I found my PDA always too small for reading longer texts, that sounds like a good solution to me.

Only negative: Price is targeted at 1871 USD; even the cheaper version still costs 1595 USD
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
mochant
mochant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie UX50
Sony does design nice stuff...

Like a lot of Sony products, it does look cool (I carry a Clie UX50 around now). For that price though, I'm glad I invested a few hundred more and got a full-blown Tablet PC which is an incredible platform for e-reading.

I'm using Palm Reader Pro, Microsoft Reader, and Zinio and all are at least very good. Zinio is best because it has pen capabilities built into it but it is a magazine not a book reader.
mochant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2004, 09:01 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I must admit I've never seen a Tablet PC in action. Thus cannot comment on its qualities for reading e-books.

Isn't a Tablet PC somewhat unhandy e.g. when you want to read an e-book in bed?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #4
mochant
mochant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie UX50
Not at all Alexander. It's quite nice having a display that is about the size of a dead tree book with annotation, highlighting, bookmarking, etc. that offers 4-5 hour battery life. My Toshiba Portege M205 weighs about 4.5 lbs and props up nicely when I'm stretched out in bed or on the couch. Compared to the small screen on my UX50 (or my old NR70), both of which offer the highest res of any PDAs (480 x 320), it's a much more confortable way to read.
mochant is offline   Reply With Quote