Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #541
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My TBR pile is big but fortunately mine is not as large as yours dreams. Most likely it will take me another three months to read through the to be read stack. Most of the problems that I am encountering with this to be read stack is that I am reading authors that I have never read before thus I do not know how the series are put together. As a consequence there will be a few requests for information on these forums as I attempt to get the series in the correct order. I have already gotten my Steve White and Timothy Zahn straightened out thanks to forum members. I look forward to working with forum members to get the book series in the correct order. At the moment I am working on Steve White and Larry Corriea, of which I like Steve White more than Larry Corriea. Steve White's books seem to include characters that I can relate to that seem to be much more active then the characters in some of the books that I have read over the years. If I want characters that do stuff in my literature I reach for the next Executioner, Super Bolan or Stony Man novels - the action in those books start on page one and don't stop until the last page, these books are to men what romance novels are to women and they are my favorites.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #542
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
My TBR is coming down, but WAY too slowly. And mostly because I'm tossing things off it that I realize I'm not likely to read any time soon. Worse, some of them I paid for.

I plan on strictly controlling the books I buy for the rest of the year. It won't do much to get my TBR below 100 books, but at least it will be moving in the right direction.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #543
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
[snip]
Personally, I don't count freebies in my TBR list, unless they are books I might have bought even if they weren't free. (Yes, this means that I still have over 300 books I've bought and not read yet!)
This is one of the reasons I decided to make my first goal. I was afraid my purchased TBR pile would continue to grow and approach the size of yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
[snip]At the moment I am working on Steve White and Larry Corriea, of which I like Steve White more than Larry Corriea. Steve White's books seem to include characters that I can relate to that seem to be much more active then the characters in some of the books that I have read over the years.
Steve White's books look interesting.... see this is why I have made my next goal. In the past, I would have bought one or two just because someone mentioned them, I looked at them, and they seemed interesting.
Quote:
If I want characters that do stuff in my literature I reach for the next Executioner, Super Bolan or Stony Man novels - the action in those books start on page one and don't stop until the last page, these books are to men what romance novels are to women and they are my favorites.
I read a few Mack Bolan novels when a friend loaned them to me.

I know my TBR pile is super large as a result of not being able to purchase anything for 6 months. I was grabbing anything that even remotely caught my attention just to starve off that panic of maybe not having anything to read. Which is crazy as I have 3, 6 foot by 6 foot, shelves full of pbooks that I have read and reread plus my son sends down the ones he has already read.

So, my next 6 month goal is to keep myself from again collecting purchased books that get put in the pile and not read right away.

I made my first 6 month goal just to force myself to read those pbooks that I had purchased but not read and to lower my original TBR ebook pile (I do count the freebies, as I see it as clutter on the backup drive and want to either read or delete them.) I have done some of what I originally intended, but found myself really enjoying some of those freebie offerings, so that just supported my habit of grabbing them.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #544
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, if you don't consider a mack bolan book you are missing out on some truly great literature. The action starts on page one and does not let up until the very last page, they will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #545
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
[snip]
I read a few Mack Bolan novels when a friend loaned them to me.
[snip]
Quote:
Oh, if you don't consider a mack bolan book you are missing out on some truly great literature. The action starts on page one and does not let up until the very last page, they will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat.
Sorry, I thought I was clear. I did read a couple of Mack Bolan books. I was more interested in them than the romance ones my sister-in-law wanted to share.
Advert
Old 07-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #546
rpmazur
Connoisseur
rpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheeserpmazur can extract oil from cheese

Device: Calibre (for MAC), MoonReader (Android)
Quote:
My TBR pile is big but fortunately mine is not as large as yours dreams.
My digital library is something like 7-10GB and I haven't imported all of it into Calibre yet. I have roughly 300-500 books imported. Not all are TBR but I'd have to say that 80% of the books are ones I haven't read. Lol

Last edited by rpmazur; 07-08-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Fat fingered
rpmazur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #547
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Where would you recommend starting with his books? He seems to have a number of series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #548
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm hopefully coming to the end of an unplanned "reading drought" myself. The last few weeks have been very busy and won't be slowing down any time soon. So a book that should have taken me 4 days maximum has now taken almost 3 weeks (minus the 3 or 4 days it took me to read two novellets also in the series).

I also lowered my challenge, removing the 20 "Bonus" reads requirement. With that, I've now stripped my challenge to the bare minimum, yet I'm still a book or 2 behind for the 65 series books in my main challenge.

At this point, I realize that I probably should have stayed with my first instinct which was 50 books & 150,000 pages.
I have finally finished both Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor #3) & Ashes of Victory (Honor Harrington #9).

Bringing my current total of books read for the year to 32 out of 65.

Last edited by Nyssa; 07-09-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #549
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pages read in July so far: 196.

Summer doldrums. Still reading book number 42 right now. Hopefully I'll break out of the slump and get going again. Thankfully I only have 8.6 books to get to my pledged 50 books on GoodReads.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #550
jbcohen
Wizard

I liked Ashes of victory however I have never really liked short stories much, they seem to be way to short of character development and they need to cut the story short to get under the number of pages. I really prefer full length books rather than the short stories as in the book Changer of Worlds.

I am hoping to get through book number two in the starfire series which I have been working on for quite some time.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #551
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Honorverse shorts aren't really all that short. I found them mostly pretty good, except for a bit too much boring treecat stuff. (I haven't read In Fire Forged yet.)

I haven't read an Honor Harrington book since the beginning of the year. Service of the Sword was the first book I read this year. I'd like to get back to my next one (War of Honor) before long, but I've committed to read quite a lot of other stuff first. Plus I'm reading Hornblower right now, and I don't like to read things that are too similar too close together.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #552
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I liked Ashes of victory however I have never really liked short stories much, they seem to be way to short of character development and they need to cut the story short to get under the number of pages. I really prefer full length books rather than the short stories as in the book Changer of Worlds.
I understand what you mean, but I have enjoyed reading the novelettes in chronological order. They actually add a little depth, understanding, or background to some of the characters and situations. For instance, the story "Night Fall" tells you exactly what happens between chapters 33 & 34 of Ashes of Victory. There's also "From the Highlands", which is apparently a direct prequel to one of the sub-series novels - Crown of Slaves (Honorverse: Torch #1).

That being said, I don't know that I would have enjoyed most of the stories, from any of the anthologies if I had read them all back to back instead of interweaving them with the series in their correct places.

Last edited by Nyssa; 07-10-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #553
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Whew, I finally updated my challenge list post after half a year!

It feels good. I added everything I've read and though the challenge is still exactly the same as it was, I simplified the goal wording. Here's the link to my list.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #554
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Nice job. I like the stars, as it makes it easy to see what you thought were great reads.

I still need to get caught up on mine. I start out great but always get lazy as the year moves on.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #555
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm managing to keep my list mostly up to date, but NOT managing to do anything special with it. Reviews are going into the general "What Are We Reading" thread. Maybe next year I'll try something a bit more involved with my list.

The good news on my challenge is that I'm definitely making inroads into the TBR. Some of that is simply cleanup and recognizing that I'm just not going to read some books I have. The rest is actually reading more than I'm buying. Just.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote