Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
how do I load books into my Vox library and other download questions

Okay, So i'm an original VOX owner, I have had it since Oct 29. So far so good. I play Angry Birds alot though (biggest downfall for me)

I have lots of books in my vox, in the KOBO library. But I have some ePUBs made by me I would like to load. Of course no titles will be seen, which will be annoying.

I have Aldiko. I put my ePubs in there, and other books I can't get into the kobo library. I unmount the SD card, load the books onto it, then its easier to put into Aldiko.

When I try to upload to the kobo library, it will list every single books I've every uploaded. How do I erase those from the list.

I plug my VOX into the computer, it reads it (sorta), which file do I put it into, there are so many folders, and none of which make sense. Again I have loaded books thru the USB into Aldiko, but not into the KOBO library.
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kobo Vox
You can put your ePubs anywhere on the Vox. Then choose 'Import' from the Kobo app, which'll scan the memory for any books. When it finds them, use the checkboxes to pick which ones you're wanting to be imported.
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnielle View Post
You can put your ePubs anywhere on the Vox. Then choose 'Import' from the Kobo app, which'll scan the memory for any books. When it finds them, use the checkboxes to pick which ones you're wanting to be imported.
If I understand correctly, ePub books show up with a plain jane (my apologies to all the Janes...) icon and no name is that correct ?

Is there a way to - at least - give them the proper name ?

Thanks.
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I think that depends on how they're formatted. Most of the epubs I've imported have covers and look no different than books from kobo.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Darnielle
Enthusiast
Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Darnielle knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kobo Vox
That depends entirely on the ePub files themselves. You can use Calibre to change the cover and name, just remember that you'll need to convert the eBook to get the cover to bond to the book (That does include converting from ePub to ePub.)
Darnielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Got it.

I am trying to find a simple solution for my 86 years young father-in-law to get free public domain classics - in French - on his new Vox.

I got some from Bibliotheque Electronique du Quebec - all very good books offered in ePub - but none have cover art and proper names once imported... I guess it's their conversion of sort.

I was trying to avoid having him use Calibre... or I'll end up supporting him on that too
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
I can say doing it the way Darnielle has stated I do so. Sometimes I get odd formatting errors within the book that weren't there on the computer .. But some merged chapters aren't bad.. Square boxes instead of letters are.. Haven't tried reuploading yet.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
When I first got my Vox, I side-loaded half a dozen free epub books I'd found on the web into my library and was reading a couple of them, when I started a book I'd bought from the Kobo store, and then another one in Overdrive I'd got from the public library. Naturally, the library book took precedence since it was due back in 14 days, so I didn't really look at the others. Today I discovered all those free books were gone! Luckily, I still had them on my PC, so I reloaded them, but, of course, they now show as unread with no bookmarks. Has anyone seen that happen?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Allo, qeeksquadofun! I support my 79 year old mother's reading too...from Toronto to Montreal. The trick is to put the books into a shared Dropbox once I have "fixed" them for her and then have her follow the step by step instructions for adding them to Calibre (I did print screens of each step with play-by-play text for each). Adding them to her reader is not that difficult for her with the "manual" but asking her to edit Metadata or Convert is just too much, sooo...I add books for her from time to time after I've fixed them and since she's got a fair number to read until the next time I have time to add more, everyone's happy!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnielle View Post
I have a library book I downloaded using Overdrive (configured to download on the SD card). When I use the same card to import other ePubs into the Kobo reader, this book also appears. However, it seems I can't import that one and I get an error message. Is that the way it's supposed to be?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
You need to read the overdrive books in the overdrive app, I don't think they can be imported into the kobo app (unless you strip the drm).
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #12
oldyellr
Evangelist

I actually used ePub DRM Removal (demo version) on this particular book and copied it to my micro SD card. When trying to import into the kobo app, it showed 2 copies of the book, but would not import. Maybe I'll try it again sometime when the book is no longer in Overdrive.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I actually used ePub DRM Removal (demo version) on this particular book and copied it to my micro SD card. When trying to import into the kobo app, it showed 2 copies of the book, but would not import. Maybe I'll try it again sometime when the book is no longer in Overdrive.
Why not just Google for a friendly Apprentice Alf and see what you might find...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote