Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
WT Sharpe
Grand Muckity-Muck
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
May 2017 Discussion: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (spoilers)

The time has come to discuss the May 2017 MobileRead Book Club selection, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. What did you think?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2017, 02:06 AM   #2
Dazrin
▲▲▼▼◀▶◀▶ⒷⒶ
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think if they tried this today they might have other problems...

I finished this morning and really enjoyed this, although I was surprised how quickly it ended. I was only 64% of the way through. I don't have time tonight to provide detailed thoughts but I did end up highlighting several passages.

Last edited by Dazrin; 05-20-2017 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Re-sized image.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
I haven't read this in decades and was curious to see how well it held up.

I had a mixed reaction. I thought the concept overwhelmed the story; I think the concept has even become the story. I'm not sure how well the plot and characterizations work, but all you really do is go, "Ooh, in the future they'll burn books!"

The book comes somewhere between 1984 and Brave New World in terms of story, borrowing elements from both, with the totalitarian society of 1984 and its ongoing war as justification, and the doped and distracted populace of Brave New World. Ultimately, I didn't think there was anything ground-breaking here.

There was some cheesy fun that I suppose comes with all classic sci-fi, the moments that are prescient and the ones that are totally rooted in the past. One that had me giggle was the point made of Montag's getting money from the bank. In the middle of the night! From robot tellers!

So, the name Guy Montag was obviously taken from Man Friday in Robinson Crusoe, but I couldn't decide what Bradbury implied by that. Thoughts?

Even if people didn't want to reread, I'd like to hear memories. This was a big deal in its time.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #4
william z
Enthusiast
william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.william z ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I read it a long time ago, and in spite of the rave reviews though it was kind of overrated.
william z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I thought the book was a bit dry. I don't think it holds up well these days. The idea is a bit stale. I found Brave New World to be dry and stale as well. Part of the problem is a lot of dystopian stories don't last all that well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert