Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
If you guys that are having problems have reformatted your cards at any stage then you might like to try using the official format software from the SD Association. You can find it at http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Some devices are very sensitive to how cards are formatted and will show strange behaviour if the card doesn't follow the standards 100%.

I know this has fixed SD card problems for other Kobo users (see this thread).
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #17
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There should be a fix from Kobo in the next update (currently in beta). None of us in the beta group had the problem to begin with, so we aren't really testing that particular bug fix. In general, the testing has been for about a week, but it could, of course, take longer.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Tangent
Tangent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
If you guys that are having problems have reformatted your cards at any stage then you might like to try using the official format software from the SD Association. You can find it at http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

Some devices are very sensitive to how cards are formatted and will show strange behaviour if the card doesn't follow the standards 100%.

I know this has fixed SD card problems for other Kobo users (see this thread).
I appreciated the above advice, I did try it out but it did not help the SD reading issue at all for me.
Tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Ok, just thought it was worth a try. I guess we can rule out badly formatted cards then.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There should be a fix from Kobo in the next update (currently in beta).
Thanks Kobo for working on this! Its nice when a company takes our feedback seriously.

Edit: I put this info in the other thread, but I'll also put it here so the info in all in one place...

works with .11 & .12: Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC (class 6) Model TS8GUSDHC6, Kingston 8GB Micro SDHC (class 4) SDC4/8GB
does not: Transcend 16GB Micro SDHC Flash Card with Adapter Model TS16GUSDHC4

Last edited by markemark; 10-21-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Add microsd card info from other thread and add new card
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
illiterate
illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.illiterate will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Touch (since Sept 2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There should be a fix from Kobo in the next update (currently in beta). None of us in the beta group had the problem to begin with, so we aren't really testing that particular bug fix. In general, the testing has been for about a week, but it could, of course, take longer.
Could you let me know how I can join the beta group please? I have the SD card problem and don't mind testing the beta out.
illiterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Send a PM to Matt (MDK) and ask him if you can join the beta. I think that Matt may have privately worked with some people with the problem, but, of course, I don't know that for sure.

Last edited by taming; 10-18-2011 at 11:34 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #23
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Unhappy Guess I did jinx myself. . .

It saddens me to report that my KT is now malfunctioning. Here is the pertinent information:

1) Kingston, SDC4/4GB, SDHC Class 4, 4GB

2) All tested books are prone to this problem

3) All books converted and saved to the card via Calibre 0.8.12

4) 1.9.14

5) After five minutes reading, boots me back to the Home screen and off the SD card. Requires ejecting and reinserting the card to reinitialize, problem repeats ad nauseam.

I really don't know what changed from one night to the next. I updated the firmware last week. The card worked the night before last. . .
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #24
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I had problem with bad SD Card after I pulled USB plug from computer too soon. Kobo would do continuous update library loop with SD Card installed but would work ok with SD Card removed.
Formatting SD Card didn't help and I tried formatting with windows, Linux and SD Association software. When I used SD Association formatting in over right mode I could again load books onto SD Card and Kobo e-reader updated data base so SD Card books were in library and could be displayed for reading.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #25
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/
At above link Download SD Card Formatter and install it on your Windows or Mac computer

Open the SD Card Formatter it should find the and list the SD Card you have attached to your computer.

I give the card a name, My Books.

Follow these steps.
Format Option: click on "Option Button"

FORMAT TYPE: Select "Full (OverWrite)"

FORMAT SIZE ADJUSTMENT: select "OFF"

Click on: "OK" Button

Click on: "Format" Button

Full overwrite formatting is painting over the old graffiti making it blank so Kobo can't read old writings and is available for writing new books or data.

Quick formatting just sets flags in disc index indicating "disc blocks contain no data and available for new data. The old data is still there to be over written with new data or restored.

Kobo Linux is Ignoring the deleted index flags, restores the index and data then tries to use the corrupted database to display books.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #26
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's it.

I did some more investigation last night and found that there was a problem file. The other books I tested all worked fine until that one was opened, then they all had problems.

So I've opened up the file in Sigil. It looks like a conflict between inline styles and the stylesheet. At any rate I completely removed the inline styles and reworked the stylesheet and the problem is gone. If I feel really motivated I'll go back and try and figure out what exactly messed things up.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote