Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Minotaur
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 4Gb
Should I update?

Hi all.
I have a Paperwhite3 (7th gen, I believe) that's been jailbroken and is running firmware 5.4.5 still. I haven't updated (and have backdoorlock installed to prevent updates) at all since then.
The main reason I haven't updated is that I heard that collections support via Calibre and Collections Manager (via "Import collections from Calibre") was broken in the 5.6 firmwares, and this is a "must have" feature for me.
However I note that Collections Manager now supports 5.8 firmwares.
I was wondering if it's worth updating to 5.8.7, and what the best procedure to do this (and retain jailbreak) would be? It's honestly been so long since I've done a firmware update on my PW3 that I am a bit worried about bricking my device or losing Collections functionality.
Currently using the linkss package to give current cover as screensaver. I also have mrPI installed (although it's not currently up-to-date)
If someone could point me at a thread that has the steps I need to do, or even provide the steps in dot-point form, I should be able to work it out from there.
Thanks in advance.
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
Minotaur
Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.Minotaur can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 4Gb
Anyone?
Minotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
jhowell
Wizard
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle PW2, Nexus 7, Fire 5th Gen
You are asking in the wrong place. All of the kindle hacks are supported out of the Kindle Developer's Corner forum. There are threads for LibrarianSync and Collections Manager.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
shamanNS
Addict
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3[300dpi] , Kindle PW1
@Minotaur: I can't help you regarding Collections Manager since I've never used it. One thing I can mention is that you can't have nested collections using Collection Mager on newer firmware. So take that into consideration before updating (if it's even relevant point, I can't remember if fw 5.4.5 already has "Cloud collections" feature).

Also, if your Kindle is really running fw 5.4.5 then you Kindle is not Paperwhite 3 (aka Paperhite 300dpi/ All New Paperwhite/Paperwhite 2015/ 7th gen Paperwhite) but it is Paperwhite 2 (6th gen) because oldest firware for PW3 was 5.6.1.1 and PW1 went from 5.4.4.2 strait to 5.6.1.1.

If you're planning to update you jailbroken Kindle to newer firmware you should first make sure to update the bridging code that makes jailbreak survive firmware updates. Then you can just update to newest firmware (just do the extra reboot after firmware update to let it reinstall MKK so KUAL can work).

As for "should you update": can't really help you there either since my PW3 is still on fw 5.6.5 (I dislike the new UI introduced with firmware 5.7.x so will not update my Kindle). But if you want/need support for new KFX format (for "Enhanced Typesetting") you should update your PW2 at least to fw 5.6.5.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote