Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
marcvit
marcvit began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Lightbulb Legacy OS, old Calibre version backup problem -URGENT

Hi Folks!

I'm using an old windows xp 64 and have a 30.000 more or less books. I update the metadata with descriptors/tags abstracts, better covers and so.

I put the elibrary on drive g:\Biblioteca Marcvit 2015 and unfortunately my samsung tera external drive has a failure and doesnt work anymore.

I backup downloaded books as is and backup it up so there's 65 % of the library on it. I really hope that I will recover my data from the bad disk.

But most important is the metadata that I add carefully setting projects, collections and so. Because I want the fastest retrieval and make my library a knowledge base.

I need to reinstall my C: drive and dont want to delete the metadata. I start a new library called marcvit library 2016. But the 2015 database still exists (I guess) so I want your help on finding out a way to edit the database and gradually check the books that are missing so I could download again. But most important a way to speed up the 2015 setup using scripts etc.

Please help! that library is used on daily basis and is a real tool for our work.

Kindly Regards!

Marcvit
marcvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvit View Post
Hi Folks!

I'm using an old windows xp 64 and have a 30.000 more or less books. I update the metadata with descriptors/tags abstracts, better covers and so.

I put the elibrary on drive g:\Biblioteca Marcvit 2015 and unfortunately my samsung tera external drive has a failure and doesnt work anymore.

I backup downloaded books as is and backup it up so there's 65 % of the library on it. I really hope that I will recover my data from the bad disk.

But most important is the metadata that I add carefully setting projects, collections and so. Because I want the fastest retrieval and make my library a knowledge base.

I need to reinstall my C: drive and dont want to delete the metadata. I start a new library called marcvit library 2016. But the 2015 database still exists (I guess) so I want your help on finding out a way to edit the database and gradually check the books that are missing so I could download again. But most important a way to speed up the 2015 setup using scripts etc.

Please help! that library is used on daily basis and is a real tool for our work.

Kindly Regards!

Marcvit
@marcvit - the metadata database was in g:\Biblioteca Marcvit 2015\metadata.db, if you don't have a backup of that file (or better yet the entire library), and nothing can be recovered from the Samsung Tera drive then it's gone.

Your C: drive will contain calibre global preferences in the directory that is opened when you press the Open configuration directory button in Preferences->Miscellaneous. But that will not contain the book metadata, which is the aforementioned metadata.db file inside the library folder.

There are tools and services that will recover data from a dead drive, but they are not cheap nor guaranteed.

It's probably too late now, but I will draw your attention to this item in the calibre manual ==>> How do I backup calibre?

Quote:
The most important thing to backup is the calibre library folder, that contains all your books and metadata. This is the folder you chose for your calibre library when you ran calibre for the first time. You can get the path to the library folder by clicking the calibre icon on the main toolbar. You must backup this complete folder with all its files and sub-folders.
My emphasis

That item has been in the FAQ for a very long time (at least 5 years), and it hasn't changed. The statements there are equally valid for calibre version 1.48 running on Windows XP, and calibre version 2.79 running on Windows 10 CU.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab 2(RIP)
My addendum
The only thing that has changed in the Backup World, is there is now a very user friendly Backup/Recover tool on the Library icon. It does all the stuff YOU needed to do with your older Calibre version
It lists known Libraries and allows choice and it also backs the config folder.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@theducks - the tool you referring to designed to Export and Import calibre libraries and configuration when upgrading to new or different computers - i.e. one off use. Its design objective is not regular backup and restore. For a start it's all or nothing.

Even a primitive process of regularly creating a dated archive and moving it somewhere safe, will allow the possibility of restoration of a single book or a single format file or cover file. To my knowledge there is no simple way to do that for a calibre import/export dataset. I assume it could be done by writing some calibre debug code, but most calibre users wouldn't know a python from a garden worm

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote