Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #1
MarjaE
Addict
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story HD
Compressing Pdfs on the Mac?

Some background:

I use a Mac and an older Kindle. I can't use touch devices.

I often have to process pdfs so they will open on the Kindle, or so that they will show once opened there. I also prefer to compress pdfs so they take less space and load faster. Sometimes compression is the only way to process them so they display.

So if it's important, or if it's one I've paid for, I keep the original pdf in another folder on my computer and the processed one in Calibre and export it as needed to the Kindle.

... But sometimes compression creates other problems. Apple's fixed some of the older problems, but also broken some of the processing solutions. And unfortunately compression still sometimes turns pages dark, making them unreadable.

Depending on the purpose, I use either PdfGenius (which is better at fixing pdfs which the Kindle can't open due to passwords, and better at compressing mixed text and images without blurring the text) and PdfToolkit+ (which is better at fixing pdfs where the Kindle can't display images). If necessary processing would expand the pdf, both apps refuse to expand it. But if I attach a large dummy page, PdfToolkit+ has been willing to process the combination, and then I can remove the dummy page.

Any other suggestions, especially for dark pages and for blanks instead of ligatures?
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
pdf, pdf processing